Ducato 02 Speedometer not working (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Hello, long time lurker and first time poster here. Can anyone help with this problem on my Autotrail Cheyenne '02 Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD?
After only 30k miles the speedo has stopped working along with trip and odometer. I suspect broken or disengaged cable at gearbox end. Photo below shows what I see at the gearbox, right hand cable I believe is speedo but appears to be a push fit. Am I correct? I can't find any descriptions anywhere of a connection like this for Ducato or Boxer. And what is the rubber thing to the right/bottom for? It looks like a pump for the possible drain opposite. And I assume the cable to the left is the reversing switch? Any help much appreciated, sorry for so many questions on first posting.

51170456221_feacf13807_m.jpg

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Not my old Cheyenne is it KM02###? I replace d the speedo cable inner twice, eventually found the speedo head was tight to turn and was mangling the inner cable, drop of 3in1 sorted it.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
And I assume the cable to the left is the reversing switch?
Don`t think so, that is on top of the gearbox next to the breather. I know because mine went faulty and I replaced it and it didn`t look like that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K
May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Not my old Cheyenne is it KM02###? I replace d the speedo cable inner twice, eventually found the speedo head was tight to turn and was mangling the inner cable, drop of 3in1 sorted it.
Nope sorry its not that one. Did your speedo cable push fit into that housing? How did you get the 3 in 1 in? Cheers!

OP
OP
K
May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Don`t think so, that is on top of the gearbox next to the breather. I know because mine went faulty and I replaced it and it didn`t look like that.
I wonder what it is? Cheers for reply.

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Yes the end of the cable is square, I seem to remember the entire instrument housing was easy to remove, I tried to turn the speedo drive with a small screwdriver and it felt tight. This was after my 2nd new cable, the square end had detached itself. After that it lasted many more miles.

OP
OP
K
May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Appears you have run out of free posts, its well worth joining for the information alone
thanks, got my sub sorted now. Did you mean to infer in your original post that it is a push fit at the gearbox end and I should be able to pull it out of the plastic housing?

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
I'm talking about the end of the cable at the speedometer. If I remember I replaced the whole cable.

OP
OP
K
May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
I'm getting the feeling no one has see this gearbox end set up before as there has been no answers to my questions in the original post?

kilgettyblade

Free Member
Jan 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
burstner 747
Exp
might not be helpful but our 2.8 is 2004 and is electronic fuse had gone on ours when we bought it

OP
OP
K
May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Thanks but mine appears to be an analogue ducato, just missed the change to digital. Out if interest do you remember where the fuse was? Maybe cable and electronic had the same fuse for some reason!

kilgettyblade

Free Member
Jan 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
burstner 747
Exp
it was a 10 amp under bonnet might be no 15

OP
OP
K
May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Quick update, she's now in the garage and it turns out the the small gearing in gearbox is damaged so needs replacing, clutch is getting done at the same time as is the wiper motor. The wiper motor failed in a rainstorm on the M6 last week and so the reason for getting the garage to take a look at everything while she was in. As you can imagine its not a cheap bill for all this work but hopefully will cure the sluggish/harsh gear changes its had for 12 months. Its a 4 day wait for all the parts as being 02 they are not readily available off the shelf.

OP
OP
K
May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Ducato '02 is now back from the garage and the bill was half that quoted as they didn't need to remove the gearbox and so the clutch wasn't replaced. A new wiper motor couldn't be sourced from anywhere so the old one was rebuilt and all works fine now. Speed working again after having a new driver/transducer fitted. Gearbox oil was changed while they were at it along with various seals. Going for a good run next week so we'll see if I notice a difference in the gear change as I've thought it a bit stiff changing down over the past 12 months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back