Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have a 2015 Ducato based motorhome.

The instrument panel has developed a fault in that, when engaging cruise control, as well as the "cruise control on" light the following warning lights illuminate, though at only half their normal brightness,

Front passenger airback off
Front brake pads worn
Fiat key code fault

It is booked on with Fiat for attention mid-January, the earliest date I could get.

I know that these panels suffer from "dim light syndrome" and are regularly replaced under warranty.

Has anyone experienced our symptoms?

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Had similar symptoms on my 2012 MH - but different lights glowing. Instrument binnacle was replaced by Fiat despite the MH being out of warranty.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Many people have. Well known issue. We're on our second replacement, as are our friends. The Fiat workshop guys are telling us that there is yet to be a fix, and that at least 10% of those still in the supply chain are faulty - just nobody knows which 10%! There are a significant number 2nd or 3rd failures. And it's not just Ducatos - it's Fiat cars as well, although not all models.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
As soon as I rang the Fiat dealership and said we had a problem with the instrument panel they asked if we had "dim lights".

The frustrating thing is that our nearest Fiat Commercial dealer is 40 miles away. We have to go to them so they can see the fault, then return when the required parts are delivered. I think we all know that the instrument binnacle will be replaced. So why not order it in before our visit?

160 miles, at least, involved to repair a known problem!

Other than this fault we find the Fiat base vehicle excellent and a very good drive. We have just completed 780 miles in two days with no fatigue whatever.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Yes mine went in October one month after the guarantee expired. I had a Peugeot one failed after a year as well and know someone who has been through the process 3 times. I had to pay for finding out what was wrong but the dealership re-paid the money so all good in the end. Google or searching on here will find you a company which replaces and guarantees for £150.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Our Peugeot based 2014 van goes in next Tuesday to have the dash panel replaced because of same lights lit dimly.

www.cartronix.co.uk The firm that replace for £150 inc vat.

John.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Yes, our 2014 Peugeot had the same symptoms earlier this year. had to go to Haverfordwest for repair but must say that the Days commercial dealer was very good indeed. Ordered the part for us before seeing the vehicle, (relied on my description of events) and thereby saved me making the journey twice.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes mine went in October one month after the guarantee expired. I had a Peugeot one failed after a year as well and know someone who has been through the process 3 times. I had to pay for finding out what was wrong but the dealership re-paid the money so all good in the end. Google or searching on here will find you a company which replaces and guarantees for £150.
Thanks, but ours should still be covered by warranty at this stage. I appreciate the feedback though.:xThumb:

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, our 2014 Peugeot had the same symptoms earlier this year. had to go to Haverfordwest for repair but must say that the Days commercial dealer was very good indeed. Ordered the part for us before seeing the vehicle, (relied on my description of events) and thereby saved me making the journey twice.
You were lucky.

I can't understand the reluctance to order in a part that is known to be a common fault.:xangry:

We had the same problem with a faulty Ford Mondeo bonnet catch. It was also a known problem but the local main dealer wanted to see the vehicle first. Our local (small official Ford dealer) ordered the part in on our description as "a known fault".:xThumb:

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our Vehicle was seen last Tuesday by a technician. He spent no more than 45 seconds looking at it before declaring it needed a new instrument panel, which we already "knew". So an 80 mile round trip for 45 seconds, followed by a repeat this Friday to have the new one fitted.

The staff at the FIAT Professional dealership have been great but explained that they cannot keep replacement panels in stock because of their cost, over £600 each. As it is a known problem I would have thought that FIAT themselves would take responsibility and supply dealers on a "sale or return" basis.(n)

But, then again, it's not a perfect world, is it?:unsure:

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hooray!

Had the faulty panel changed this morning, two months after first reporting it. All seems well now.

The technician, changing the panel, confirmed it is a known fault and that they are instructed by FIAT to simply change faulty panels rather than "mess abut" trying to isolate the fault.

If anyone has a panel fail out of warranty, it may be possible to insist on a free replacement citing "inherent fault" present in the product.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
For those interested this is what it looks like with cruise control turned off and on.

Attachments

• CC off.JPG
    CC off.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 58
  • CC on.JPG
    CC on.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 55
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
just had this happen to our 2014 model,

cruise light brake pad light and air bag light glowing, went out to give it a run and engine management light came on and cruise has failed altogether.

went to main dealer to check said they'd not seen this before ?

but checking with fiat to see if work can be done at lower cost.

took it up to my own garage to see if its still ok to drive , he cleared the engine fault but as soon as driving off came back again , only thing showing up in history is turbo sensor might be loose , but this is under a recall anyway.

who are the people who can do for £150 any link or address ?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@cookie
Don't accept that your FIAT dealer has not seen this before. It's a known fault on FIAT and Peugeot vehicles. Just look at the many experiences on this thread.

On a 2014 vehicle I would expect it to be replaced foc or at much reduced rates. The frequency of occurrence is such that it can be argued to be an inherent fault where I believe consumer protection laws give cover for such a fault for up to 6 years. (You may need to check if such legislation applies to motor vehicles, use Google).

Go back to the dealer armed with this thread listing the number of Forum members who have had the same problem and ask them to get authority from FIAT for a foc change.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
just had this happen to our 2014 model,

cruise light brake pad light and air bag light glowing, went out to give it a run and engine management light came on and cruise has failed altogether.

went to main dealer to check said they'd not seen this before ?

but checking with fiat to see if work can be done at lower cost.

took it up to my own garage to see if its still ok to drive , he cleared the engine fault but as soon as driving off came back again , only thing showing up in history is turbo sensor might be loose , but this is under a recall anyway.

who are the people who can do for £150 any link or address ?

See post no6 in this thread for alternative to fiat repair

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
@Lenny HB

if the panel is replaced/repaired is it easy to replace as i have been told the panel has to be installed in the ECU for it to be recognised or is this not needed if you get your own panel back. where did you get your panel fitted ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@cookie

Maybe I'm wrong but is your 2014 motorhome not still under warranty?
"Normal" warranty is first 24 months then an additional warranty for 12 months or so my warranty book says. I had the dashboard instrument console replaced last year under warranty on our 2013 Autotrail.

If you have issues with your local dealer give FIAT Professional Assistance Services which is open 24 \ 365 on 00 800 342 800 00. Yes it's a loooooong number (it's in Italy) but it's freephone and they are multilingual. Spoke with a couple of young ladies there and they were extremely helpful. They even called my local FIAT Professional garage telling them I had been in contact and that they were awaiting an order from them after I presented my vehicle for confirmation of the fault. I then got a call a day or so later to confirm part ordered and then again to confirm I was happy with the repair.

I subsequently had another issue (clutch switch or something like that) just outwith the 36 month period and after calling them and speaking to the local garage this would have been replaced foc however garage said "pay a nominal amount" (think it was £5-10) as the part would then be warranted whereas it wouldn't if I accepted foc. Can't remember the cost of it but it was well into 3 figures if I had to pay for it.

If it is out of warranty still discuss directly with FIAT as @maison says.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@Lenny HB

if the panel is replaced/repaired is it easy to replace as i have been told the panel has to be installed in the ECU for it to be recognised or is this not needed if you get your own panel back. where did you get your panel fitted ?
I sat in our motorhome whilst the mechanic changed ours. Wasn't paying a great amount of attention as couldn't really see what he was doing but it took about 30 minutes from start to finish. I believe the last thing he did was to plug a "machine" in to do something or other to it (like reinstall some settings and correct mileage to actual).

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
What years do this fault apply to please keep seeing 2013-2014-2015 but none earlier ours will be 2007 so wondering if this affects our model

I think it goes back to around 2010 / 11 but FIAT Professional guys didn't know for sure.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@Lenny HB

Not needed with same panel, took mine out gave to Cartronix picked it up a couple of hours later & refitted it.

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
here you what lenny hb was on about

Two of our biggest customers in the uk are Motor home dealers. The Faults that have been described on these forums are extremely common and we see them every day.

Dimly lit LED warning lights and draining of the battery are the most common faults as well as the gauges sticking.

The LEDs Fail for 2 reasons, jump starting flat batteries and Cheap unreliable components.

Solution: We Replace all the LEDs with Superior European Quality ones and give a lifetime warranty.

The Gauges often fail when they dry out inside and seize up when the vehicles have been left over the winter months.

Solution: We Replace the Motors with upgraded European Motors which have a protective coating inside and again give a lifetime warranty.

We have a solution for all problems and charge a fixed rate of £150 inc vat to repair these instrument cluster faults.

We have a next working day Postal service if you would like to remove and send us your instrument cluster to us for repair or failing that if you fancy a trip to our workshop in Hampshire we can remove repair and refit your instrument cluster while you wait. Our telephone number is 02392 265986.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Same problem with our 2015 Fiat, fault was pointed out to me when Van was having its habitation check last week. Fault confirmed by Fiat garage booked in for new part to be fitted first week in March. Agree with comment above Fiat dealers should hold part in stock if it is so common

rikardo

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
Bath
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Starting Out
Hi, do you know what this button on the dashboard is for? Thanks

Attachments

• 1495304399302679519816.jpg
    1495304399302679519816.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 42

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Haven't got one on our dashboard- 2015 Fiat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back