LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi I got a new pooter with Vista home premium installed. I have Vista ultimate which I have installed on second hard drive. Now decided I prefer Ultimate. Can anyone advise me how to format the C drive with Home premium on it? Don't want to install anything just format to recover the space. ::bigsmile:

jhbgaiem

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Galapagar near Madrid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hard disk blues

If these are two physical drives and not partitions of the same drive, it should be an easy job as the Dual Boot program will be on the C: drive.
You could just swap the drives and make the old D: drive the primary and the old C: drive the secondary. (look at the BIOS setting)
Then just format the old C: drive which should now be the D: drive.
I am supposing that the drives are SATA and not IDE.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
If these are two physical drives and not partitions of the same drive, it should be an easy job as the Dual Boot program will be on the C: drive.
You could just swap the drives and make the old D: drive the primary and the old C: drive the secondary. (look at the BIOS setting)
Then just format the old C: drive which should now be the D: drive.
I am supposing that the drives are SATA and not IDE.

Yep they are SATA thanks for that I'll try later. If they were IDE would that make a difference?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi in the BIOS drives are listed as SATA controlled but options for the drives are IDE, RAID or AHCP ( or similar in the last case) Mine are set to IDE, storage manager won't allow me to change the drive letters as quote "they are system discs or contain boot files)

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi yes it does. I have it set to boot from the second drive. Windows disc manager will not allow me to format or even change the drive letter on the first disk. I am led to believe this is because the the MBR is held there and if I format it my pooter won't boot up from either drive? This would mean a complete reformat which I am trying to avoid as I now have all my programs installed on the Vista Ultimate drive. I am told that although I did a "clean" install on the second drive the mbr is only held on the first drive?

My head hurts. :Eeek:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi longtime since I messed about building PC's but unless its changed the boot drive has to be in the correct plug on the ribbon cable, thats for the old IDE drives, no idea about SATA.

Olley

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi longtime since I messed about building PC's but unless its changed the boot drive has to be in the correct plug on the ribbon cable, thats for the old IDE drives, no idea about SATA.

Olley
Hi Olley, machine will boot from either drive. Tried changing order in BIOS but doesn't make any difference. Still get the choice of either drive on boot up tho if you don't choose will boot from whichever drive is first in BIOS. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back