DSLR backpack? (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Can anyone advise on what is a low/medium priced backpack for my camera's and lens?

It is beginning to kill my aging shoulders to carry a shoulder bag and my protector box is far too heavy...lol

There are far to many to choose from and most are not worth the money being asked.

Any help would be appreciated.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Lowepro Flipside 400. The reason I got this is that the camera storage area is totally secure when the bag is worn - the opening is against your back. To get the camera out, you just slip the shoulder straps off (leaving it held on by the waist strap) and rotate the bag to the front (I'm not sure if I'm explaining this clearly:Doh:). It also looks more like a normal rucksack than a camera bag (again, more security)

I have to confess that I have not worn the bag for excessively long periods but it does feel comfortable and secure and also seems very well made. It even has a built-in rain cover:thumb:

It's not the cheapest bag in the world but I think you get what you pay for. Amazon often seem to have good deals on Lowepro stuff.

Hope this helps.

Phil

mejulie

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Caversham,Reading
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I use a lowepro slingshot, you wear it across the chest so that the bag is behind you and you just slide your bag around your body and "hey presto" the opening of the bag is right in front of you, then you just spin it back again. Very comfortable to wear, you soon forget you're wearing it. Just a matter of how much storage space you need but there are different sizes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I do not have a camera back-pack, but would recommend Lowe. I have one of their smallish shoulder bags and it's well made. Their trekking rucksacks are very good so, hopefully, the pedigree has been transferred to the photographic product.
Another option, but nowhere near as comfortable I would suggest is Billingham. Not worth buying the whole set from them as they are very expensive (well the large versions are) but if you already have a Billingham shoulder bag, you can get a back-pack harness to fit it.

Philip

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
lowepro

I bought a Lowepro off e-bay, cost in Jessops £99.99 I paid £59.99 with free postage brand new from a dealer can`t get better than that. :thumb:

I do have my old one which i will sell for £15 + postage it`s in as new condition big enough to take a camera & a couple of lenses.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have tried loads of bags, spent a small fortune on them, suffered neck and back ache. Then I discovered that I didn't need the kitchen sink with me. Now when I go, I only take the likeliest combination of camera and lens I think I'll need, and I use pockets, or maybe a very small bag. This does sometimes make me wish had a different lens a faster drive or the flash gun with me but having limited kit with you does make you focus on getting the best picture with what you have. Some of the best pictures in the world have been take with just a 35mm lens. :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I agree Jim, the tyranny of lens choice makes for a very sore shoulder. But digital technology has changed the need to carry so much. I used to go out with two bodies (F4s and F801) so I could have different film stock in each, two large flashguns plus dedicated cables, and 5 lenses - all f2.8 or wider and that makes them heavy! Then there was a selection of large Cokin and Hoya filters plus holders and a load of film. That pretty much filled a large Billingham bag - nowadays I wonder how I lifted it.
Now I take one DSLR and maximum of three lenses. Still carry one large flashgun sometimes. With digital images, there is no need to carry an extra body with fast film, or B/W - noise is now so well controlled that high ISO equivalents can be switched on when needed and I rarely carry a tripod. And when I get home, Photoshop sorts out colour casts and manipulations that used to require filters.
My gear today fits into a medium-sized shoulder bag, and often, I leave that behind and just take the camera with one 18-70 zoom attached.

35mm camera bodies anyone?

Philip

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
The weight and inconvenience of my kit is driving me mad, only one D200 body plus a few lenses, but I am going to sell it all and start again with a compact interchangeable lens system like the Nex-5.

I am hoping that will negate the need for a big bag. Anyone want a D200? :winky:

David

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have 2 Lowe pro back packs-and they are great kit,but-One ended up in bottom of a wardrobe because it was too bulky even before I put anything in it :ROFLMAO:

The other is used to transport 1Canon Eos 40D with Sigma 150-500 attached,
1 Canon 17-75 lens, 1 Canon G10 camera and my Opticron 10x40 bins. Plus a few odds and ends-cables, spare memory cards ,polarising filter,hide clamp and lens cleaning stuff.
When we set off to do 'birding' I put the Eos with 150-500 on a tripod and carry that over my shoulder,the G10 goes in my pocket and the bins are hung round my neck.

I have tried carrying it all in the back pack-but it's just too much hassle when you want to take pics quickly.

I have one shoulder lower than the other from carrying Billingham bags most of my working life ::bigsmile:
Now I'm retired-less is more.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back