DSA LICENCE RENEWAL AT 70? (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I ve just checked my DL , having passed pre 97 in fact 1965, I have all the usual categories plus HGV C1E AND CE . I renew my entitlement HGV yearly with medical and eyesight test which will be due in June 2017. The C1E does not expire at this time but runs with all other categories until June 2019 . This a bit of an odd bod because the combination weight is a max of 12tonnes. This of course is very handy because my tag MH comes in at 5000kg. Now in June 2019 I will not be70 but 71!. How thought full of the DSA.
I have heard that they were going to extend the 70 year age cap until 73 but was not aware of any action at this time. Does anyone else have this on their Licence?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As far as I recall although the C1E etc; theoretically runs until 2019 , when you will be 71, but it actually becomes invalid on your 70th birthday. You're actually supposed to know this/find it out for yourself.

Far simpler here, albeit with a cost, is that the B,BE, run for 10 years but the C1,C1E, btp, only run for 5 years. I have just had to renew mine as this part expires on 9th January . The B,BE gets automatically renewed as well. Just means it is 70€ every 5 years for the medical/renewal instead of every 10 years.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Still 70 at the moment as far as I'm aware. Joe's licence runs out about 6 months before his 70th birthday so could be an expensive time if the age cap isn't increased before 2021!

Denise

Joe has just checked with DVLA and it seems he needs to renew it in October 2020 and then when he gets the renewal at age 70 he just needs to have the medical and send the paperwork back but won't have to pay again for the licence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I understand the driving licence renewal is every 3 years after age 70 for all classes. Professional drivers C C1 D D1 medical every year after 70, every 5 years before 70.
You can have C1 D1 "not for hire and reward" renewed every 3 years on renewal of your driving licence.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Just sent off my DVLA form D1 which I requested from them.
70 on March 22 when we may not be back from Spain, but you can only apply 90 days in advance and as I need my licence for use in Spain, I asked if I could post it early with a covering letter. And they said yes.
So I WILL be covered if we are not back, because the application is with them. It was free as I don't need a new photograph cos I had one done after I was 65 and that counts as current.
Mitch.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
That's fine if you just want your up to 3500 licence renewed.
For your C1 you need a recent medical.
Why an extra few kg makes a difference to your capability to drive, I have no idea!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
When driving abroad you need to be able to produce a CURRENT UK driving licence to the authorities on request. I am still waiting for my licence to be returned (I applied in April). When I queried the delay DVLA sent me the following.

There is a provision in the law, under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act, which could allow you to continue driving while your licence is being renewed, as long as you are able to satisfy all of the following criteria:
• DVLA is in receipt of a valid application, which is less than 1 year old
• you’ve held a GB/EU driving licence previously
• you’re not currently revoked/refused for medical reasons
• you’re not currently disqualified by a court
• you were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1st June 2013
• you drive under the conditions of the licence applied for (e.g. provisional categories/entitlements, where a provisional licence was held)
• you would not be refused a licence for medical reasons
You can check the current medical standards of fitness to drive in our ‘
Assessing Fitness to Drive’ guide for medical practitioners. Your GP or consultant will be able to help you if necessary.
Please note:
When driving outside the UK, Section 88 may not be accepted. Before you travel, check with the country’s Licensing Authority for advice on driving there.

To retain your C1 licence you need form D2 and D4 (medical form) together with the D1 form. As said before you need a medical. This could be performed by a doctor abroad provided he satisfied the DVLA of his competence and could fill in the form in English. It doesn't get around the need to carry a current licence. I came back early for my medical on both occasions I had too. If you just return form D1 you will not have C1 on your new licence.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
The Govt had proposed to extend the renewal age to 75 on the 80th anniversary of the Driving Test which fell on 15th June 2015. This would give everyone an extra 5 years with current standard (not vocational) entitlements. Watch this space as they say!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can I ask if when you apply to renew your licence due to age, have you thought about using the online application.
Ive just done mine online because of the rolling age of the licence and have to say it was very easy. If DVLA make a cock up you still have you're old licence until the new one turns up.

Just a thought :)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Can I ask if when you apply to renew your licence due to age, have you thought about using the online application.
Ive just done mine online because of the rolling age of the licence and have to say it was very easy. If DVLA make a cock up you still have you're old licence until the new one turns up.

Just a thought :)
You can't use the online facility if you want to retain C1+E category .. it has to be done by post.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
You can't renew on-line more than 90 days before expiry ! ! ! !
AND I wanted to keep my licence for use in Spain ! ! !
Mitch.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
When driving abroad you need to be able to produce a CURRENT UK driving licence to the authorities on request. I am still waiting for my licence to be returned (I applied in April). When I queried the delay DVLA sent me the following.

icence.

My husband been waiting since April as well. He has a temporary licence issued with C1 while waiting.

OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Re the earlier post, having spoken to DVLA it transpires that if you have a medical for renewal of a Vocational Driving Licence HGV/PCV within the three years before you 70th birthday , the new Licence will extend the other groups Cars/ Light commercials, by three years from the date of issue of the New Licence.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since the chaos after they closed the local offices and hadn't the systems to cope, they seem very efficient.
Prompt return of my C1 +E and there are sites to check your MOT record and insurance details.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Still waiting to hear about John's C1, is there a way to check how they are doing?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
With, the "best will in the world" the service is to say the least "patchy". And in that I am being Generous!!!. Getting a renewal on the R-V before I sold it, after it being of the road for over 12 month, whilst in the USA, was a Nightmare!!. The Post office couldn't, re-tax the Local office Beverley had been Closed. In the end I went into HULL. The office there which is now too CLOSED!!. I have a "Classic" Tax exempt and currently on SORN. I dread wanting to put it back into harness. The stories coming out of the Classic press are Mind boggling as to the gross incompetency of the DVLA!. The guy who uprated my Motor-home was very efficient. more than can be said for Swansea!. Do they actually go out of their way to recruit "Stupidity"?

OH!. And a WARNING for anyone sending a licence to Swansea, DON'T without taking a colour photo copy!. I know of a number of people who have had them returned with "missing" entitlement. A Guy I used to ride with on the bikes, lost his BIKE entitlement, and was forced to do CBT to get it Back!. I had to do a retake on LGV, But that was for different reasons in that I had taken my eye off the ball, re changes in the laws!.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
With, the "best will in the world" the service is to say the least "patchy". And in that I am being Generous!!!. Getting a renewal on the R-V before I sold it, after it being of the road for over 12 month, whilst in the USA, was a Nightmare!!. The Post office couldn't, re-tax the Local office Beverley had been Closed. In the end I went into HULL. The office there which is now too CLOSED!!. I have a "Classic" Tax exempt and currently on SORN. I dread wanting to put it back into harness. The stories coming out of the Classic press are Mind boggling as to the gross incompetency of the DVLA!. The guy who uprated my Motor-home was very efficient. more than can be said for Swansea!. Do they actually go out of their way to recruit "Stupidity"?

OH!. And a WARNING for anyone sending a licence to Swansea, DON'T without taking a colour photo copy!. I know of a number of people who have had them returned with "missing" entitlement. A Guy I used to ride with on the bikes, lost his BIKE entitlement, and was forced to do CBT to get it Back!. I had to do a retake on LGV, But that was for different reasons in that I had taken my eye off the ball, re changes in the laws!.

I have always found their service excellent over the years,,never ever had any bother. When you think how many million enquiries they have a week on so many subjects i think they do a great job,,BUSBY,,

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have always found their service excellent over the years,,never ever had any bother. When you think how many million enquiries they have a week on so many subjects i think they do a great job,,BUSBY,,

Unfortunately NOT my personal experience, They seem not to be able to deal with anything outside the "ordinary". And getting to speak to anyone is a Marathon effort which in most cases I have experienced is tantamount to pulling teeth!. I once sent them a FAX to the their own listed FAX number, with some detail they "needed", 3 Days later I phoned to ask what was happening, "we don`t have the FAX!". (they found it only AFTER I sent the copy of my receipt from their Machine!). The ONLY time I got "quick" turnaround was when I needed My Licence renewed, early, because of going to the USA just before my 70th Birthday. BUT only because I renewed on line, let my C categories lapse, Which the Yanks dont need anyway, beside which I have a Texas Licence. And then had to spend a shed load of time waiting for them to Regrade my licence when I wanted C1-C1E back after Uprating the M-H to 3800kg.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This is what makes it relatively easy here in that you are obliged to have a medical for renewal every time. 10 years now for car & bike & 5 years for the C,C1+E , etc.
The places you go for it are stand alone centres for medicals for this + hgv's shot gun & gun licences etc.
All done in one place. Medical, fill in form; signature straight on to computer, photo same & all sent direct to Trafico . You get a temporary paper entitling you to drive , which in my case last week you carry with the licence as I was only renewing half my entitlements, & paper lasts for 90 days. Licence is sent straight to home.:xThumb:
Admittedly it cost 70€ but at least you know every 5 years I was supposedly fit to drive.:xdoh::xlaugh:
It's only 70€ every 10 years if you don't have/want C1 ,etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back