Dropped Slide (Jim, was this your problem?) (1 Viewer)

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Today whilst crawling around under the lounge slide , I noticed tracks of "scuffing" on the bottom. A fellow FUNster (Hi Bruce) said he thought this could be due to the slide dropping and also was likely to be the cause of my long-standing shear pins issues (they keep shearing). Bruce also thought this was a similar problem to one our erstwhile leader had a ?couple? of years ago with his lounge slide which had to be remedied by jacking it up and then finding the threaded rod on which the slide hangs and tightening the nut up to take up a bit more slack and therefore raise the slide a little.

Can anyone shed any more light on this please? For example, the whereabouts of this rod (and how to access it ---- hand-drawn diagrams accepted), and where to borrow a fork lift truck or two to lift the slide so the nut can be tightened?

I'd like to get this sorted before the bottom of the slide is ripped rather than scuffed, so all input welcomed!

Thanks in advance all.

Papa

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Papa Smurf, (say hi to Bruce for me) I did have this problem, and I still have a pin break every now and again, My 12 foot slide is really heavy, especially when the dinette storage is full of wine. The slides function depends upon that one pin and if it is not exactly level then the forces can apply more pressure than the pin can bear. Presently I am using a hardened steel pin similar to th eone shown below.

My slide was raised by Travelworld under guarantee, though the adjustment looks easy enough to do ones self, and this made a big diference. Where the arms meet the slides you can see where to raise or lower the arms. The slide had sagged enough for it to have deep score markes on the underside of the slide. Travelworld did an excellent repair with galavanised sheet riveted into place.

Hope this helps:Smile:

Link Removed

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I was impressed by Travel worlds fix on that occasion Jim if you remember, and they used STAINLESS not galvanised thats for tin roofs:ROFLMAO:or euro motor homes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Your right Geo, it was stainless steel. it certainly wasn't wriggly roof tin:Smile:

OP
OP
Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Well, 48 hours after e-mailing Travelworld for a quote and they still haven;t bothered to reply. I am surprised that they can afford to lose customers, but sod-em. If they don't want my money, I'll find someone else who does.

RayV8 thought that acro props might be a way forward - anyone have any constructive views?

Thanks all,

Papa

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You don't know anyone with a forklift truck like they carry on the back of lorries do you?

It would certainly lift it gently to the height you need it.

Just a thought.

Edit.....Sorry I've just seen You have already mentioned that.:Doh:

Seems the best solution.

Acro props would certainly do it and could probably be hired fairly cheaply.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
RayV8 thought that acro props might be a way forward - anyone have any constructive views?

Acro props can be hired (but you know that) ..

how about a couple of bottle or trolley jacks with two 4x4 fence post cut to the right length ?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
why not use a scaffold plank right along and car jack under each end. You might get away just doing one end at a time and only have to take sufficient weight to allow the adjustment to be made, Should even lift on its own screw with a decent spanner.
slacken the lock nut and tighten the top one, job done.:Smile:

OP
OP
Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Well, still no response from travel_world. They must be stacked out with work! Gosh, I bet they are busy. Must write a review for them....

I've finally squeezed my rotundness under Harvey (no innuendo there then) and the only threaded bar I can see lies alongside the front slide arm. Have I missed something, or is this the one I need to adjust? I must admit I was expecting something a little heftier than what I've seen (probably 13mm diameter), and for the life of me, I can't understand how this could raise or lower the slide.

Any further info welcomed. Love the ideas put forward already re Alco, bottle jacks, fence posts, builders planks etc.

Yours in rotundness,
Papa

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Papa if you cannot see two large arms that hold the slide in place then I do not know how you adjust it. The slide of mine that broke was the front slide and it has these large arms. My bedroom slide which is the same size 12' does not have these arms on the outside, I presume they are under the bed on the inside of the slide. I will have a look this weekend when I pop them out.

OP
OP
Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Jim,
I can see the arms (after all, they come out of the side and I've banged my head on them a few times), and to confirm is IS my front slide that's dropped. Don;t look under the bed, you'll hate the double floor and inaccessibility of everything (already been there).

My current query is the validation of the threaded bolt. The one I can see from underneath lies alongside the rear portion of the front arm.

Papa

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Dear Mr Rotund I believe you can't fathom the adjuster because I think you are looking at the main screw that pulls and pushes the slide in and out
to see the adjusters push out the slide full travel
go outside and sit under the slide with back resting on RV,
look to the left and right of the slide and and you will see two arms that support it, close to the end of these arms (rails) near floor you should see a nut and bolt arrangement (pointing up) that if turned would clearly send the slide up or down you will need a 3/4" spanner (approx) they may differ RV to RV
Hope that helps, or have i got the wrong idea:Doh:
Geo

OP
OP
Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Dear Brother in Rotundness.

Thanks for that - I will do so when it is light tomorrow. I shall also take a piccie to post so that I can make sure I'm looking in the right place. :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Jim, Geo et al.

Slide1.jpg shows the brackets at the end of the slide arms

slide2.jpg (with red arrow) shows a threaded bolt inside the end of the brackets. Is it this one I need to adjust when slide "lifted"?

Thanks.

Papa "portly" Smurf

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well PaPa the first pic looked as though you were in the right area but the exhaust pipe suggests other wise:whatthe: a simple sketch below shows what we expected to see

slide.jpg

OP
OP
Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Hi Geo.

The "exhaust pipe" is the sleeve for the manual winding handle..... :Doh: However, I can understand your "confusion" as the picture isn;t sufficiently large enough to take in the whole scene...

I am reasonably sure that the arrowed bolt in the second of my piccies is the threaded bolt you seem to indicate.

Thanks for all your help :thumb:

Papa

p.s Just HOW BIG IS YOUR SLIDE? :)

Last edited:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Pappa
I had this problem last year. Wood shavings around the floor and the slide becoming progressively more difficult to take out or in. In the end I could only move it with the manual hydraulic pump and that was hard work
I went through all of the things that you are going through but decided that it was too risky from both a safety point of view and a practical point of view.I was frightened of making it worse.
I took it to Midland International in Coventry, when they looked at it the answer was as simple as I hadn't been lubricating the extension rams properly. It works perfectly now

Hope this helps

Jim :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back