Drop down bed (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Has anyone repaired or worked on the drop down bed ?

I have to replace the brass bearings in mine, the part of the bed frame that is fastened to the van sides near the front, by the strut. I'm wondering how I'm going to hold the bed up so I can remove this bolt.

When the bed collapsed at the weekend when the nut came off and the bolt came out was a pig to replace, took two of us, one lying on dash and me propping bed up whilst stood underneath it between the seats.

Thinking of taking side bed blinds off to see mechanism better.

There must be an easier way ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've replaced the struts.. much the same type of job.. don't think there is an easier way..

Remove the curtains, mattress and any bedding, push up as hard as you can and secure with travel strap..

You can also use a wooden prop underneath for additional support..

Advice from Peter Hambilton of Hambilton Engineering
Pull Down Bed Fixing Bolts

It is advisable to check that the four bolts that secure the bed to the van are tightened to a torque of 40 ft.lb.

The four bolts that secure the bed to the lowering mechanism need to be fully tightened the backed off one flat. If any slackness is found in the nylock nuts, they should be replaced.

This procedure should be checked annually.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Removal of tge side curtains helps a lot. Don't rely on the travel strap alone to hold it up - use a prop as suggested to take all the weight off the bolts and bearings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I've replaced the struts.. much the same type of job.. don't think there is an easier way..

Remove the curtains, mattress and any bedding, push up as hard as you can and secure with travel strap..

You can also use a wooden prop underneath for additional support..

Advice from Peter Hambilton of Hambilton Engineering
Pull Down Bed Fixing Bolts

It is advisable to check that the four bolts that secure the bed to the van are tightened to a torque of 40 ft.lb.

The four bolts that secure the bed to the lowering mechanism need to be fully tightened the backed off one flat. If any slackness is found in the nylock nuts, they should be replaced.

This procedure should be checked annually.

Thanks, those are the bolts, I'll order new and do full check on rest, thanks very much.

Reactions: f6c

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There are several different mechanisms/geometries used for drop-down beds. The compressed air struts need to be fully expanded or you'll need to devise some method to stop them expanding before disassembling pivots. If you don't you could be in for a fight, trying to recompress them for re-assembly. Unfortunately, the mechanisms I've met require the bed to be in the 'up' position for least pressure in the struts. Give yourself plenty of time and have all the tools you'll need ready before you start.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I ordered two bolts and four brass bearings/bushes, believe it or not £19 for the bolt and £6 for one brass bush !! Blimey, I thought motorbikes were expensive.

At least I get a bit of HOG discount.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
My 2008 B544 Gas struts seem a bit weak compared to a new Hymer. In a new Hymer you physically need to pull the bed down, and it springs back into the roof quite powerfully.

Ours on the other hand requires quite an effort to lift it back up and JUST stays in the up position provided there is no bedding up there.

Changing the gas struts would be simple if I could do it with the bed down as they are easily accessible. However I read that the bed must be UP to change them. This is a big problem because the bed completely obscures the struts when UP.

Does the procedure require that the whole bed and mechanism is unbolted and dropped down onto the front seats?

If I figured out how to remove the plastic cover (what becomes the Cab ceiling when the bed is up) then I could access the struts through the bed frame but it's not convenient.

Any tips gratefully received.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back