Drop down bed owners required (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
With talk on the forum lately, and in the past, about draughty cab areas in some MHs, I was wondering if those with drop down beds, or overcab beds, had suffered with cold draughts when sleeping in them ?
Or are you such heavy sleepers that you have never noticed ?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We've had 2 Pilote A.Class's both with drop down beds , no draught's and really comfortable, only problem we had was the front all round curtain never went completely back up with the bed , always left a litle showing at the top of windscreen , until I made a small mod worked fine then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Always sleep very snugly in dropdown in Hymer..........no draughts, although if wind (outside) gets up, it does sway side to side a bit........

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't use ours very often no droughts, very comfortable, but can be a bit cold in the winter if you don't use external screens (we don't use heating at night).

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
over-cab bed in Swift Sundance really comfy-no draughts sleeping . But we do notice its colder in the lower cab part -but we just screen it off.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
With talk on the forum lately, and in the past, about draughty cab areas in some MHs, I was wondering if those with drop down beds, or overcab beds, had suffered with cold draughts when sleeping in them ?
I have suffered from a cold woman in a drop down bed. :(:(

OP
OP
knokinonabit
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
The replies seem to be mainly from A Class owners and all are draught free.
I suppose the A Class MHs don't have the vents in them like Coachbuilt.
Even with a Coachbuilt you are fairly isolated from the draught area I would think.

The main reason I was asking was that if I ever bought a MH again I fancied a shorter vehicle where the bed could remain made up.
Drop down bed versions seem to offer this, but I wouldn't want SWMBO nagging me all the time that she was frozen.
An A Class would be top of my list, but I'm sure someone will give me perfectly good alternatives.
It was SWMBO who wanted the island bed that we have now, so I would have to keep her sweet. :notworthy2:
She is claustrophobic (or however it is spelt) and doesn't fancy an overcab bed in a Coachbuilt.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We have an electro magic bed that drops down from the roof above the lounge area. It cold or draughty at all, we usually open the vent above the bed too.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
We have an electro magic bed that drops down from the roof above the lounge area. It cold or draughty at all, we usually open the vent above the bed too.

Ours was too, being up and away was the warmest and most comfortable place, but then the roof of a Trek is a very thick and insulated, sturdy enough to walk on. my main worry was ensuring the curtains were properly closed, never fancied waking up with me bum on show....

Adrian

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We have a low profile C/B with a drop down bed over the hab area, it can get nippy in winter with no heating on, however the main issue is getting in and out, unlike an A class which is probably easier
We are nearly 50 so not a big problem at the mo but might be when we are older as in the C/B they tend not to come down as far as an A class
The advantages are we have a fixed french bed big and comfy plus a double drop down in under 7 meters so can live with the getting in and out, might be that other manufactures versions might be better in terms of how far the bed comes down but not an issue at present
Regarding the cold haven't noticed it and we go away most weekends during winter and put the heating on low if it's really cold

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Never a prob in our Bessacar either. If you think about it, hot air always rises whether you have heating on or not, so up near the roof has to be the warmest place in the van! We didn't have curtains on the bed, but have either curtains or blinds on the widows so one's backside etc will not be on show one presumes, other than maybe to family members who will most likely have seen it all before!

What strangers are you expecting in your van overnight? LOL

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our chausson has an overcab drop down bed.. We don't use it but it's cosy enough and has heating.. No droughts..

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hymer A class. No draughts - in fact is usually too warm. Never have heating on. We use a big three rung step up to get in and out though. Cliff fell off original step ladder on the first night - thought we'de made the most expensive mistake of our lives but no problem now! Step up sits on bed during the day - perfect if you have the layout that means it fits in ok (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back