drop down bed curtains and struts (1 Viewer)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I think we need to replace the struts on our drop down bed as it's too heavy for me to put the bed up. I have to rely on Mr Hils to do it. We have read all the advice on here and are considering if his diy skills are up to the job. So far nothing we have read has mentioned the curtains around the bed. Do these have to be removed first and if so how do you do that?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

To replace the gas struts, the mattress has to be removed and curtains lifted out of the way..

when you remove the mattress you will see several plastic clips holding the curtain to the bed base.. slide them out and peg the curtain up out of the way..

Copied from the Hymer International Club http://www.hymerclub.co.uk/hcitips.htm#strut

Pull Down Bed Gas Strut Replacement

"WARNING THESE STRUTS HAVE VERY HIGH PRESSURE RAMS"

This procedure can be done by a competent DIYer

To replace a gas strut it is very important to make sure that there is no residual pressure on the locating pins.

To achieve this, the bed must be set and held as high as possible, using the travel strap. I found it easier if the bed was emptied including the mattress.

The split pins were then removed and the strut checked that it was fully extended by being loose on the location pins. I then carefully removed the drum end, pointing to the back of the van first. This to ensure that if there is any residual pressure remaining, the strut it would be travelling away from the windscreen.

The new strut was then fitted in the same position and split pins re-located to secure the strut before lowering the bed.
I was able to do the above from the inside of the van, but some may find it as easy to do the above from outside by leaning through the driver's door and the sliding window.

I would recommend that both struts are changed. It is sod's law that you will remove the stronger strut first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Jim. At least with the curtain out of the way we can get an idea of what the job entails. One thing is ours don't seem to have split pins. They are star shaped nut things ( that's techinical speak) we are trying to find out what they're called.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Jim. At least with the curtain out of the way we can get an idea of what the job entails. One thing is ours don't seem to have split pins. They are star shaped nut things ( that's techinical speak) we are trying to find out what they're called.

Starlock washer perhaps ?

do you see them here?
Broken Link Removed

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've taken curtains off before to wash, it's just a little plastic curtain type hook at the top.

Albeit mine was a Pilote A class

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Jim they are star locks.
I can't see that getting the curtain off is that easy on our Hymer rangitira. Are you talking about the white curtain that drops down with the bed? If I could get it off I would love to wash it.

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Thanks Jim they are star locks.
I can't see that getting the curtain off is that easy on our Hymer rangitira. Are you talking about the white curtain that drops down with the bed? If I could get it off I would love to wash it.

To remove the shroud/curtain just pull it away fron the body, it has plastic trim fitted to it which fits into another
trim on the van wall.

Good idea to wash it ours had holes in it. We brought a new one from hymer 250 euros:eek:.

Karl

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
To remove the shroud/curtain just pull it away fron the body, it has plastic trim fitted to it which fits into another
trim on the van wall.

Good idea to wash it ours had holes in it. We brought a new one from hymer 250 euros:eek:.

Karl
250 euros (cough splutter) I'm scared to wash it now.

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Yes it was a bit of a shock, I will say though it is very nice must be an updated version very plush !!!:LOL:

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
My Helen is so mature, she predates that luxury "shroud/curtain." I have to rely on the pull around job. Helen is due back with me next week and I have been wondering about "washing the curtains" but fear they may be so old that they will simply disintegrate.

I will be checking the integrity of my struts and had read the article on the HCI site. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced quality source - just in case.

Clive

Just scrolled down and read the other thread on this giving supplier details so this added, I will investigate when she comes home next week. Thank you

Last edited:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
I took one of our gas struts to sgs this morning, they were very helpful, thought they would post out to us, but they said if you can wait ten mins we will make them for you, cost £21.99 each, total for 2 £52.78 inc vat, just need to fit them now on our Rapido, not an easy job

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back