Drop down bed and lounge (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Tentatively looking for a slightly bigger motorhome than the PVC we have just for the two of us, after looking at various options we feel a front drop down with a rear lounge or front lounge under the drop down makes the best use of available space. We had a look at Benimar, Autotrail and Swift yesterday and they all do versions of this arrangement. Benimar was the best with a very big front drop down over the lounge, and rear kitchen and toilet with loads of cupboard space but just felt a bit to plasticky for me. what else is out there?
Does anyone make a PVC with a drop down bed?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have to say you get good specs for your ££££ with Benimar, most folk praise them. Mine is leaking and in getting sorted.:fubar:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look at the Carthago C-Compactline i-138 A-class - we didn't want to go much bigger than our previous PVC at 6.36m long and 2.05m wide so the 138 fitted the bill perfectly at 6.41m long and 2.12m wide. It has a rear transverse double and a front transverse double over the cab and an L-shaped lounge - not as big as some but more than sufficient for us as the captains chairs are very comfortable for slobbing in to watch TV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Do these drop down beds cover the lounge area, would it be better to have an A class with drop down bed then you wouldn’t lose the lounge, so if somebody wanted or needed to be in bed you still have useable space.
In our Hymer B584 we lose the front seats but still have the side settee.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We have a Lanka Kreos 4009 with a front lounge and a drop-down bed the lounge is very open and you do not need to remove seat cushions or lower table when you want to use the drop down bed so very quick to change from daytime to night and a lot of space compared to other front lounge motorhomes we tried.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Have a look at the Carthago C-Compactline i-138 A-class - we didn't want to go much bigger than our previous PVC at 6.36m long and 2.05m wide so the 138 fitted the bill perfectly at 6.41m long and 2.12m wide. It has a rear transverse double and a front transverse double over the cab and an L-shaped lounge - not as big as some but more than sufficient for us as the captains chairs are very comfortable for slobbing in to watch TV.
I looked at the spec for them Minxy but don't want rear beds, just seems a waste of space for us.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Does anyone make a PVC with a drop down bed?
Font Vendome The Mondea has a drop down bed, if we were to go the PVC route it's one that would be at the top of the list.

Also what about a Carthago Compact Line not much bigger than a PVC but loads of room & a big garage.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Forgot to say we don't want to have to use steps to get on to the bed, on one of the Benimar's if you removed a few cushions it sat on the lounge seats, nice. It did seem very well spec as you say irnbru large fridge freezer, microwave, hob and oven.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Forgot to say we don't want to have to use steps to get on to the bed, on one of the Benimar's if you removed a few cushions it sat on the lounge seats, nice. It did seem very well spec as you say irnbru large fridge freezer, microwave, hob and oven.

Not to mention spare wheel, corner steadies, inet system which I love and the 150w solar panel as standard....at least it is on our model.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We have a Burstner Ixeo with drop down bed over lounge. It gives maximum space in the lounge when in up position.
Phil
Nice but again rear beds just wasted space for us.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Font Vendome The Mondea has a drop down bed, if we were to go the PVC route it's one that would be at the top of the list.

Also what about a Carthago Compact Line not much bigger than a PVC but loads of room & a big garage.
Very similar in many ways to the original Exsis, I wouldn't like to have to clamber up and especially down from that bed though! 😲

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I looked at the spec for them Minxy but don't want rear beds, just seems a waste of space for us.
It really depends how you use it ... what PVC/layout have you got at present?

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
No rear beds just a drop down on this one. The most usable space I’ve ever had in a van.
Sorry I was looking at the wrong model, yes that does look very nice and fits the bill, it would appear its not made anymore?

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie

Roller Team Pegaso 590​

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Do these drop down beds cover the lounge area, would it be better to have an A class with drop down bed then you wouldn’t lose the lounge, so if somebody wanted or needed to be in bed you still have useable space.
In our Hymer B584 we lose the front seats but still have the side settee.
Agree with this. A drop down bed that covers the seating area wouldn't work for us as Glenn gets up a lot earlier than me and needs somewhere to sit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
French bed in the rear, Autocruise 164.
Storage is what I'm thinking - you get lots with a fixed bed, would not having one still allow you to put the stuff in that you need?

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
We looked at a 6m burstner ixeo sovereign last week with a drop down bed. Bed looked big and comfy but no lounge when bed down. Also read that the bed in up position would not take pillows but would take duvet. Not sure how accurate that is though. Lovely van

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We have a Bavaria with this layout. Love it . Pilote (same stable ) make a version exactly the same . Easier to find a Pilote in the UK I guess as not sure any Bavaria agents in the UK .
As regards build quality none are wonderful these days . Even our dealer agrees the quality of the ‘ posh ‘ makes are nothing like they used to be . Our last van was a 1999 Hobby . Superb quality and solid unlike the new ones of all makes .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Bavaria with this layout. Love it . Pilote (same stable ) make a version exactly the same . Easier to find a Pilote in the UK I guess as not sure any Bavaria agents in the UK .
As regards build quality none are wonderful these days . Even our dealer agrees the quality of the ‘ posh ‘ makes are nothing like they used to be . Our last van was a 1999 Hobby . Superb quality and solid unlike the new ones of all makes .

Oakwell are Bavaria agents

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Oakwell are Bavaria agents
Ah ok :) So should we ever visit the UK again and have any problems blend then we know who to contact . Thanks:)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We looked at a 6m burstner ixeo sovereign last week with a drop down bed. Bed looked big and comfy but no lounge when bed down. Also read that the bed in up position would not take pillows but would take duvet. Not sure how accurate that is though. Lovely van
It will take pillows if positioned properly along with a duvet. The bed, when down takes up the whole lounge area but you can use the kitchen, toilet, shower areas. Only a problem if you get up at different times but no problem for us.
Phil

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have the same model and we love it. We downsized but we aren't missing any extra space at all. We like the fact that the MH is smaller as it's easier to drive and park. It's also 3500kg, which is a bonus for us.

I agree about the captains chairs being comfortable, for watching TV.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Very nice, we were in Sheringham at the weekend!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back