Drones on site (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Yesterday evening one of our VW Camper brethren decide to fly his Drone ( not a small one ) from his camper and proceeded to fly it over the camp site. Take off and landing was within 15 ft of 2 other units with people sat outside them and whilst he was having fun buzzing the site his pet Alsatian dog decide to wonder off past my van off site into the road. I whistled it back and it eventually heeded me without getting killed.
The owner was pissed off that I disturbed his flying by calling him to collect his dog.
Bearing in mind that the new rules are that a Drone cannot be flown within 50m of any person and a 150m of any person on recreational land and the fact that he didn’t have his dog under any form of control, is this more evidence of a new breed of campervan owner who doesn’t give a f@ck. ?🤨
Sadly I think you got it right about the new breed of owner. No respect for anybody else at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
I bought a VW last year and I'm new to the 'scene'. I find it a little unfair and offensive to be tarring us all with the same brush. I'm always respectful of the site rules and my fellow neighbours. I regularly see other VW's on site and usually go over for a chat. I can't say that I've found anyone behave out of line. To be fair, I've seen motorhomers and caravaners flouting the site rules more than VW owners, by playing music louder than is respectful to the neighbours, not using the wristband system at the toilets, drinking till late in their awning, etc.

It's fair enough to call someone out for flying a drone and not caring for his dog properly (I applaud you for getting the dog), but with all due respect, don't pick on the VW owners. The ones I've met don't cause issues (from what I've seen anyway).

Arron.
I do not think it was aimed at VW owners just irresponsible campers full stop.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you live out here on Salisbury Plain you’ll find drone flying is illegal on any of the training areas and that most of the range safety wardens are equipped with drones with cameras to monitor activities they have been very successful with monitoring rogue 4 x 4 and motor bikes groups and individuals in unauthorised areas causing damage and driving/riding dangerously.🤔

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Grrrrrr, bloody drones. A neighbour who was using a drone over a local kids football match that I was watching showed me the film he had recorded, he took great delight in pointing out to me how bald I am on top🧑‍🦲

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Not sure if this link will work but it shows 2 people objecting about Google maps filming their houses

Standard houses on a standard housing estate don’t think anyone is interested in them.
Having said this post break in the insurance companies do look at the house street and asked about who owned what vehicle near us. But it also helped in terms of I had stated I always reverse park for safety and the picture showed my vehicles reversed parked.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Not if the drone is under 250g or if you pass cofc you need to read it properly not just bits of the rules under 250g is in open category
New law ...ANY drone fitted with camera must be registered with CAA. A number will be issued to be visible on the drone and code of conduct issued with a possible test. Under 250 grammes will still be unregistered if no camera is fitted sadly

Oct 17, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute T715
Exp
Since 2010
Nobody has objected about Google Earth, filming your street, your house, your car, your garden etc. People think that is good technology. Where is your privacy now? Yet someone with a drone is vilified if they just own one. For the record I don’t own one, but perhaps may buy one for aerial photography, but not people.
They are spot on for aerial photography

May 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail F70
I am one of the accursed drone operators, which i use for photography and video making, however - i am also responsible and have taken all the steps for insurance (commercial) and qualifications to ensure legality.

I am careful where i fly, taking notice of NOTAMS and use a couple of apps to check local airspace restrictions, i also where possible gain permission from owners/wardens if wishing to take off from their property, usually though to avoid such issues and annoyance to fellow campers i will simply take the drone away, find some public space and assuming that its within VLOS of me, take off and commence planned filming from there.

Generally speaking most detail worth worrying about is lost at 80m+ altitude and you can easily keep within the rules for the category you fly in, i personally - even though i can fly an Open Class C category drone, choose to fly an A1 class which is restricted to 249 grams because the camera is as good as i need, the restrictions are less and its lighter to carry. My qualifications don’t apply to the drone - but i chose to do them anyway to be a responsible pilot and to at least know what i was supposed to do.

What makes my teeth itch is when i see You Tubers flying over crowded events en-mass like we saw at Stratford, its anti social, illegal and bloody dangerous and causes issues for those of us that play by the rules, i am aware that a couple of pilots at that event were qualified and still broke the rules about flying over assemblies of people.

When and if the manufacturers replace C class drones (none are made at them moment) and the legacy rules go away, i see yet more issues with confusion of the distances and rules around the hobby.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I do not pester anyone and l don’t let anyone pester me, l particularly dislike anyone taking videos that might contain my image and Drones with cameras again containing my image or that of my Motorhome, l simply like to mind my own business.Too many folk now believe they can go about doing anything they like with no consideration for others.
No-one has any right to privacy in an area open to the public. Permission to take photos or videos is not required. My concern over use of a drone is the potential for injury or damage caused by loss of control.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
No-one has any right to privacy in an area open to the public. Permission to take photos or videos is not required. My concern over use of a drone is the potential for injury or damage caused by loss of control.
I have in my garden (not open to the public) when the occasional drone comes over - not very often. Plus I don't like them up close and personal whilst camping without somebody asking permission first.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
They are great for photography i loved using mine in greece but ive not used it since coming home as there's too many restrictions now ...i was considering selling it but the restrictions have also removed most of its value ☹️

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I think that a lot of the moaners are the ones who can’t afford them or haven’t got the skills to fly them if they could
or have better things to do.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I hate the buzzy things, piece and quiet in wonderful places listening to wildlife, trees moving gently in the breeze, birdsong and and as I am Welsh sheep then here comes the bloody buzz high pitched unnatural and unwanted . much the same as other peoples poorly behaved kids and dogs

The tin hat is on I am taking cover ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have in my garden (not open to the public) when the occasional drone comes over - not very often. Plus I don't like them up close and personal whilst camping without somebody asking permission first.
I did specify areas open to the public.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It is what they do with the images, l do not post images of myself or other people on any media format and do not want others posting my images or those of my property.
Minding your own business is a given.

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Nobody has objected about Google Earth, filming your street, your house, your car, your garden etc. People think that is good technology. Where is your privacy now? Yet someone with a drone is vilified if they just own one. For the record I don’t own one, but perhaps may buy one for aerial photography, but not people.
You can apply to blurr out yourself or your property

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It is what they do with the images, l do not post images of myself or other people on any media format and do not want others posting my images or those of my property.
Minding your own business is a given.
I tend to agree but in law permission is not required if you are photographed or videoed in a place open to the public.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I tend to agree but in law permission is not required if you are photographed or videoed in a place open to the public.
So you are driving on a Motorway with your girlfriend in your MH minding your own business and someone with the same Marque MH decides to photograph you and post it on Facebook asking was this you.Meanwhile the wife is sat at home thinking he’s on a fishing trip. We have all seen these type of images.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Can't see the attraction of drones as a hobby.

Where I do have a problem is as the person being annoyed by them. On a campsite in Wales a few weeks ago, some twerp insisted on flying his drone over all the campers on the site. I later saw it on the ground. It looked huge, some three foot across. If that crashed onto your head, you might never ever know what hit you.

The noise was a continuous, all-pervading, high pitched screech, that you could hear even when the drone went so high, it wasn't easily visible,

Frankly I loathe them, and the reason isn't the drone itself, its the selfish operator who thinks his hobby is more important than my desire for a bit of peace and quiet.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
On a campsite in Wales a few weeks ago, some twerp insisted on flying his drone over all the campers on the site. I later saw it on the ground. It looked huge, some three foot across. If that crashed onto your head, you might never ever know what hit you.
I am no expert but that sounds highly dangerous!
3 foot width must weigh a fair bit . I would be inclined to call the police as it sounds very dangerous to be flying around on a campsite .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back