Driving to Sweden and beyond. (1 Viewer)

Jeff and Sue

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
seaford
Funster No
MH
looking for swift bolero
Exp
i'm a newbie
Has anyone taken their motor home to Sweden or even further that way? we are thinking about going to Sweden to try to catch the northern lights,has anyone had any experiences of doing this? if so could you advise us,please
jeff and sue

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
be careful how late or for that matter early in the year you are thinking of travelling, when I first started thinking about the same trip you are planning I naively thought we could go in February for our wedding anniversary

I now know that a lot of the roads are literally impassable, not cleared, they use ferries for north to south journeys, or have seriously modified vehicles

luckily for us though I also read that aurora can be seen anytime of the year you just need it to be dark, which rules out most of May - Aug if you are going a long way north

we have just returned as per the thread mentioned by Golly, got seriously lucky with some of the strongest solar activity for years but had really good strong sightings, across the full sky, dancing curtains all colours the lot (y)(y) for 7 out of 10 nights in a row, the three we didn't were cloudy. All of these nights were north of the arctic circle on or close to the Lofotens :)(y)

upload_2017-9-25_19-15-3.png

none of my photos (hand held) do what we saw justice, but very happy to offer more advice if wanted (y) on trip (not photography :LOL:)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
be careful how late or for that matter early I the year you are thinking of travelling, when I first started thinking about the same trip you are planning I naively thought we could go I February for our wedding anniversary

I now know that a lot of the roads are literally impassable, not cleared, they use ferries for north to south journeys, or have seriously modified vehicles

luckily for us though I also read that aurora can be seen anytime of the year you just need it to be dark, which rules out most of May - Aug if you are going a long way north

we have just returned as per the thread mentioned by Golly, got seriously lucky with some of the strongest solar activity for years but had really good strong sightings, across the full sky, dancing curtains all colours the lot (y)(y) for 7 out of 10 nights in a row, the three we didn't were cloudy. All of these nights were north of the arctic circle on or close to the Lofotens :)(y)

View attachment 188221

none of my photos (hand held) do what we saw justice, but very happy to offer more advice if wanted (y) on trip (not photography :LOL:)

So jealous!! :)

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Just to give an idea of the weather, they had snow in the north of Sweden just over a month ago.

If you travel on what the Swedish Police consider Winter roads with summer tyres, your vehicle will, without exception, be given a Prohibition of Use on the spot. That can mean a long walk...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We did Sweden this year bottom to top got there May 10th left June 25th
It was a late spring this year and there was a very cold week when we got to Arvisjaur snow ans lakes still covered in a thick layer of ice but roads were passable and we had great weather tee shirts and shorts most of the time we went as far as Karesuando.
Brilliant trip best we have done in last five years.(y)(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back