Driving to Spain (1 Viewer)

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Hello folks

We're taking the moho to malaga in June.
We've already booked the pitch and the ferry, we're having an overnight stop at the c&mc site near folkestone, that's also booked.

We planning on stopping again at La Rochelle, I think the run is do able as its only about an hour longer than our drive from home to Dover

What I'm after is any advice you can give me regarding overnight stops between La Rochelle and Malaga.

I'm no stranger to driving in France and Spain through work, but my employer usually tells me which hotels to use, and we generally do it in two long days.
But I've never driven to Malaga

Cheers in advance.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Thanks, I'll do that, but I was looking for recommendations as to where could be considered approximately halfway between
La Rochelle and malaga.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I must be a real wimp. :(

I would never drive that far each day. :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I must be a real wimp. :(

I would never drive that far each day. :)
Quite agree we never do more than a couple of hours driving a day and take in the scenery and the stops can’t be arsed with rushing. But I suppose if you are limited for time you have to do longer spells of driving.(y)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Try Camper Contact, get the paid version that can be used off line, about £6.00. Then once you have agreed your route you can plan your stops accordingly. Loads of choices, even during winter.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Try Camper Contact, get the paid version that can be used off line, about £6.00. Then once you have agreed your route you can plan your stops accordingly. Loads of choices, even during winter.
Plus lots of comments in each entry by discerning Krauts, Dutch etc which are enlightening, like noisy until 2 am due to night club or no passing places on the narrow access road and so on.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Blimey, it would take me at least three days to get from the tunnel to La Rochelle.
Are you taking part in a rally stage or going on holiday?

Slow down dear, enjoy the drive and see a bit of scenery en route.
June should have long, warm days. Drive until lunch time, have a walk and explore where you have stopped, then a nice supper and a bottle of France's best then sleep well before driving on.

Enjoy your trip, it's not a race.

Richard.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
That's not what she wants to do.
She wants to be where the sun's hot.
We don't do walking and sightseeing.
We like to get there and then lounge about.
We're both still working and time off is limited.
That doesn't mean we can't go further afield, it just means we have to do it quicker.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
That doesn't mean we can't go further afield, it just means we have to do it quicker.
Ahh! Cash rich, time poor.
Us old retired farts are the opposite, loads of time and no cash (thats why some turn into FLT's) :LOL::LOL:
I can remember the days, long, long ago, when we used to dash down to Spain for two weeks camping in the sun in August.
Just don't over do the driving and get home more knackered than when you started. :D

Richard.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Malaga used to be an overnight for me from Calais, 2 drivers and 49 passengers! They were more tired than we were!

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Malaga used to be an overnight for me from Calais, 2 drivers and 49 passengers! They were more tired than we were!

When we do Tossa and the like, we're double manned but never drive through the night.
We always stay in a hotel, of the company's choosing, then start again after the legal minimum daily rest.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Blimey, it would take me at least three days to get from the tunnel to La Rochelle.
Are you taking part in a rally stage or going on holiday? Slow down dear, enjoy the drive and see a bit of scenery en route.June should have long, warm days. Drive until lunch time, have a walk and explore where you have stopped, then a nice supper and a bottle of France's best then sleep well before driving on.
Enjoy your trip, it's not a race.Richard.

Agree totally.

June is one of the best months to be touring - long warm days, no holiday rush nor too much heat like July August - Aires and sites open but not too busy

I'll dash through France and Northern Spain in Winter - too cold and everything closed but not June

If it were me I'd cancel the pitch in Malaga and do a lot less driving........... just my view

hope others give you the info you asked for though(y)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
But then he would have to endure the wrath of the memsahib for the whole holiday. :Eeek:
Best to just drive until your eyeballs ache and have a quiet life perhaps? :D:D
Richard.

No memsahib to please:(............any more than about 6 hours driving on A roads and I am knackered

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
No memsahib to please:(............any more than about 6 hours driving on A roads and I am knackered
Didn't mean you Vic.
It's the OP's other half he has to beware of. Keep these women away from their pool and sun and WW3 could break out.

I'm like you though, 5 hours driving is quite enough for one day.

Richard.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Didn't mean you Vic.
It's the OP's other half he has to beware of. Keep these women away from their pool and sun and WW3 could break out.I'm like you though, 5 hours driving is quite enough for one day.
Richard.

I know you didn't Richard(y)

I remember spending 12 hours to get from Dieppe to Parc Verger (long way round) and taking 3 days to recover -

In my case more haste less speed

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Didn't mean you Vic.
It's the OP's other half he has to beware of. Keep these women away from their pool and sun and WW3 could break out.

I'm like you though, 5 hours driving is quite enough for one day.

Richard.
Oi. I like being in the sun as much as the next woman but also like to explore new places, have a relaxing journey and not drive until we’re exhausted for no good reason.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Agree totally.

June is one of the best months to be touring - long warm days, no holiday rush nor too much heat like July August - Aires and sites open but not too busy

I'll dash through France and Northern Spain in Winter - too cold and everything closed but not June

If it were me I'd cancel the pitch in Malaga and do a lot less driving........... just my view

hope others give you the info you asked for though(y)

We don't particularly want to go to France, and Swmbo likes the Costa.

Only reason we'll be driving through France at all, is because there are no other viable roads.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Oi. I like being in the sun as much as the next woman but also like to explore new places, have a relaxing journey and not drive until we’re exhausted for no good reason.

The driving isn't particularly a problem.
It's what I do, I'm used to it.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001

Firstly I would cancel your pitch at Folkestone and use the park and ride at Canterbury. You will save yourself about £20. Then cancel your pitch at La Rochelle. If all you want to do is get there, going that way is a waste of time and money. You can travel through France and use the free Aires. We use the N10 which is toll free. This will take you down to Bordeaux. Aires which we like are at Chateaudun, Ste Maure de Touraine, St Romaine du Viree.

At Bordeaux we turn inland and head for the Somport tunnel through the Pyrenees. There’s a nice Aire at Jaca in Spain.

We can be on the Spanish Coast in 4 hops.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
At Bordeaux we turn inland and head for the Somport tunnel through the Pyrenees. There’s a nice Aire at Jaca in Spain.
We can be on the Spanish Coast in 4 hops.

There's a free Aire at Huesca in Spain - near the football ground.

There was a match on when I was there in September and the police were stopping cars from parking on the Aire(y)

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Instead of driving all that way and then back again, how about flying and renting a 'static' on site?
Several more days in the sun and probably cheaper when you take fuel/ferry costs into account.
I hate the 'cattle class' treatment of airlines and airports these days and would much rather drive but we do have the luxury of being retired.
If I was still working though...........???

Richard.

OP
OP
Keith E

Keith E

Free Member
Jul 30, 2018
Funster No
Instead of driving all that way and then back again, how about flying and renting a 'static' on site?
Several more days in the sun and probably cheaper when you take fuel/ferry costs into account.
I hate the 'cattle class' treatment of airlines and airports these days and would much rather drive but we do have the luxury of being retired.
If I was still working though...........???

Richard.
Because we've bought motorhome and the driving doesn't bother me.
I'll be doing about 8 hours driving today, not including my commute home.
And in something a lot bigger than a motorhome.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
We don't particularly want to go to France, and Swmbo likes the Costa.

Only reason we'll be driving through France at all, is because there are no other viable roads.

Now you have a van you will have to try France some time, you will find it a lovely country full of very nice people and built with motorhomes in mind.

Charles

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back