Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
We are travelling to South spain Torrevieja , first time ! Any advice would be very much appreciated pleaseèèèeeee. Look forward to hearing from you

Linda

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Best advice I can offer is.........

Drive on the right !!!.

Seriously though, if you haven't driven in Europe before make a card with the words 'DRIVE ON RIGHT' and put it on the wheel or instrument pod at night when you stop.
So easy to forget if the roads are empty next morning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
Agree with pappa john. In the morning give yourself a few minutes just watching the traffic and enjoy(y)

OP
OP
N

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Hi we are leaving Dover 12/6/17 late afternoon I think!

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It's around 1250 mile so now you have to decide,

Tolls or no Tolls
How far to drive in a day
How long do you wish to take

OP
OP
N

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Hi we are hoping not to use tolls where possible and I don't like heights! !!! We have 3 weeks holiday. We have a Peugeot boxer motor home and hoping to get a ferry monday/Tuesday but haven't booked yet as not sure if this would be the best way. Any advice very much appreciated !!!!!! Linda

OP
OP
N

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Best advice I can offer is.........

Drive on the right !!!.

Seriously though, if you haven't driven in Europe before make a card with the words 'DRIVE ON RIGHT' and put it on the wheel or instrument pod at night when you stop.
So easy to forget if the roads are empty next morning.

OP
OP
N

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Thank you just bought the sign from halfords yesterday as I have never driven on the right. My husband has as he used to drive a broad many years ago. Cheers linda

OP
OP
N

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Thank you. ..its me that's not too sure about the driving .my husband has done it before, I have bought a sticker from halfords yesterday and put it on the windscreen to remind me what side, it is eu one side and turn it over and it's back to UK lovely idea. So if I have to drive this will be a godsend! !! Cheers linda

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We set our satnav to avoid toll roads and avoid motorways so we can enjoy the countryside and villages we go through from the higher driving position we have in our camper. No need to book any campsites on the way as a campsite signboard will come into view normally every few mile on the journey. Most minor roads have frequent picnic area that we use for a quite relaxed lunch on the way south then we do the same on the way back taking a different route. For us, we like to make the getting there and getting back a nice enjoyable part of our holiday rather than a mad rush to get the journey there and back over and done with.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are happy to raid the family piggy bank the Portsmouth/Bilbao or Santander ferry would allow you to make the most of your three weeks - but it isn't cheap.
However, this route through France has been used by a few on here. I haven't used it myself as we generally start from Plymouth and use ferries from there. How long it takes you depends of course and how far you want to travel each day. There are lots of aires in France you can use for halts.
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/tonkas-western-route-to-spain.99/
You just need to put in a swerve towards the end otherwise you will end up in Benidorm. :)

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Just don't use Florantilles campsite near San Miguel...awful place mostly statics. .some in a disgusting state...and very expensive! Also nothing within walking g distance and on a busy road. No shop on site as advertised. Our neighbour had tv going from 8 am til 11. Only stayed there as nearest site to relatives we wanted to see..never again! And it's recommended in Alan Rogers!!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
And book your ferry onlne before you get to the Port they usually. Charge you more if you just turn up.

Reactions: f6c
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Hi we are hoping not to use tolls where possible and I don't like heights! !!! We have 3 weeks holiday. We have a Peugeot boxer motor home and hoping to get a ferry monday/Tuesday but haven't booked yet as not sure if this would be the best way. Any advice very much appreciated !!!!!! Linda
It's a bloomin' long way to Torrevieja and back, don't underestimate how much driving is involved.
The round trip is approaching 2,500miles, or 120miles every day.
Quite a journey in three weeks but perfectly doable (y)
https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/R...wance=0&corridor=&departureDate=&arrivalDate=

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
It's around 1250 mile so now you have to decide,

Tolls or no Tolls
How far to drive in a day
How long do you wish to take
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Don't underestimate France. It is vast (and is more intersting than you might expect) so will be a long drive. If your route includes the Millau Bridge don't worry about the height, you won't know about it. It's just another stretch of motorway and you cannot see over the side. It would be worth getting off the motorway after the bridge and doubling back to see it from below and appreciate the amazing structure (if you have time)

Wyn

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Enjoy you trip you may find you are happy to join the toll roads on the way back ,if you manage to stick to non toll on the way there .Above all Enjoy lol

OP
OP
N

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Thank you to all of you for all the advice given , i have found it very helpfull and reassuring and I feel a lot better about going now. Don't know what ferry crossing to use at the moment!!!!!! I have been looking for the discount codes someone told me about last year but seems they must be finished now. We Plan on booking the ferry Sunday as we have family staying over the weekend and a wedding on Saturday.
Will post again soon, linda and nick

OP
OP
N

nicklu

Free Member
Feb 15, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Converion
Exp
3 years
Hi I was just thinking may book it sooner perhaps Thursday! Looks like we will be going Dover to Calvin. Linda

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I think I would have booked the ferry by now, but never travelled Dover - Calais so maybe not a problem.

Re driving, we try to work as a team, especially in towns and particularly at roundabouts (where you go round the opposite way and traffic comes from the left) and junctions where you join a main road from a side one, or some slip roads on autovia, a few of which are very short and you often have to stop. Nothing to worry about though, as long as you stay alert.

Our personal preference is to use motorways in Spain, including tolls, superbly built, very little traffic, lots of stopping places - it makes for a quick and relaxing journey. But everyone has their own preference.

Reactions: f6c

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Just to mention that is will be hot on the southern Costa Blanca by late June.
By hot I mean HOT. Very HOT. Day and night. Be prepared.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Try to treat the journey as your holiday, and don't be too set on getting to torrevieja, unless you have an appointment? be prepared to linger where the weather is good, or you find something interesting. We have travelled Calais to torrevieja in 24 hours, but using tolls and motorways, and missing everything on the way there! Much better to wander down and enjoy the more temperate weather on route! as someone said - its REALLY hot in Southern spain at this time of year - particularly in a motorhome! Enjoy your trip!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We used to have 3 weeks each year and travelled Dover- Calais, usually by tunnel and never made it beyond Bordeaux! Decided we'd leave Spain until after we retired and had more time! Still haven't made it that far. France has so much to offer and it's a huge country.

Denise

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back