Driving to Sicily

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Cyclewalkbob, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

Ratings:
    +319
    Hi,
    Thinking on going on a c&cc guided trip down to Sicily in May

What are the state of the roads? What is it like driving on them?

We normally go to France/Germany and was wondering if it was worth travelling all that way.

Thanks

2. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Ratings:
    +696
    The state of the main roads in Italy is OK but some of the minor roads are very rough.
    Driving standards are generally terrible.

3. buttons

buttons Funster

Ratings:
    +16,099
    I remember Rick Stine's land rover doing a disappearing act while filming a tv show there. He had suspicions that the police and Mafia were involved. Enjoy your trip:winky:

4. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Ratings:
    +1,315
    Hi been to Italy and Sicily several time's never no problems, i think you would enjoy the trip, we did, we used the messina ferry to the island around and 15mins in all ,cheers Alf

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. DesRes

DesRes Funster

Ratings:
    +110
    Agreed with alfandM, I've worked around Sicily for a few years and have driven there once in the motorhome. The main roads are good and the minor roads are little worse than some the UK...:RollEyes:
    It's a different world out there. Yes, try and avoid any involvement with authorities of any form. Go with the flow, driving can be a little crazy.:Eeek:
    I see you may be heading there in May, could be a good time: Not too hot and August time is to be avoided due to all the Italians being on holiday then.
    Plenty to see there if you are interested in Greek/Roman history. Syracuse is a fascinating spot. Plus the Mount Etna tour...:thumb:
    On that trip we then took the ferry from Trapani to Sardinia for a week then across to Corsica for a week before getting the ferry back to Genoa. Happy days...:Smile: