Driving to Croatia on 11th April (1 Viewer)

Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
Hi Everyone

We have never been to Croatia before but have been to Greece, France Germany, Switzerland, Spain and many other places.

I don't like doing tolls but understand that in some places we might have to.

Our van is a 4 ton Autotrail Cheyenne 696G, Euro 4 2.3 engine.

It seems that the most commonly suggested route, reading through old posts on here, is through Germany, then Austria, Slovenia and then into Croatia.

A motorhoming friend who called briefly last week told me that he goes through Austria on the non toll roads so doesn't need a Go Box.

Is this a feasible proposition? What do the tolls cost to go through Austria with the Go Box? If I got a Go Box what paperwork would I need to get one?

So many questions. Hope some of you can answer them :)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Hi Brimo, can't answer but glad you posted this as we are going go Germany sometime mid April and will also be interested in the replies re go box. Might bump into you along the way ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are going on April 11th so presume snow might be gone by then?
I'm sure you will be fine. :) Austrian ski resorts tend to close some time in April.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Everyone

We have never been to Croatia before but have been to Greece, France Germany, Switzerland, Spain and many other places.

I don't like doing tolls but understand that in some places we might have to.

Our van is a 4 ton Autotrail Cheyenne 696G, Euro 4 2.3 engine.

It seems that the most commonly suggested route, reading through old posts on here, is through Germany, then Austria, Slovenia and then into Croatia.

A motorhoming friend who called briefly last week told me that he goes through Austria on the non toll roads so doesn't need a Go Box.

Is this a feasible proposition? What do the tolls cost to go through Austria with the Go Box? If I got a Go Box what paperwork would I need to get one?

So many questions. Hope some of you can answer them :)
Will follow this thread with interest as we are going in September.
I have found a few blogs about trips to Croatia and when I find them again I will post you a link
Enjoy the planning
Chris

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
In theory you are supposed to use Winter tyres in Austria until 15 April...

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Hi folks, having used a go box I can say, you need you V5, take it into any petrol station that advertises the go box facility, getting fixed up was easy as we found an English speaking attendant, we had to pay €95 we visited salzburg and innsbruck using motorways, on returning the go box we got a €17 refund, so quite expensive.

Eric

OP
OP
brimo
Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
As I am only passing through on my way to Croatia I was wondering how easy it was to NOT use the motorways. If its adviseable to use motorways then I wonder how much it would cost just to get through Austria on motorway?

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I believe avoiding motorways is quite easy, I spoke to couple who towed a trailer with a motorcycle on it and they toured Austria and italy area set sat nav to avoid tolls,

Eric

OP
OP
brimo
Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
how do you feel about driving through Germany to enter Austria near Linz and then head towards Klagenfurt and then onto Maribor in Slovenia?

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Brimo we haven't fixed any plans yet as we are away just now. We have got as far as Amsterdam to Berlin then wandering onto the romantic road and then....maps out when we get home, or, more likely, when we are actually on the road and make it up as we go along.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive done this a couple of times about 4 years ago

At thetime I had the previous Arto which was 4.1 tonnes on 4 wheels

First time, I bought the weekly vignette, stuck it in the windscreen and used the motorways. They didnt ask for the V5 and nobody stopped me and Ive never heard anymore about it.

Second time I decided I would try and be legal so I went via garmisch partenkirchen to Innsbruck along the 177 then turning onto the 171 just before the Autobahn, then over the new brenner pass- as long as you take the last entrance ramp you only have to pay the Brenner toll, which I believe you have to pay even if you have a go box.

I wont buy an Austrian go box on principal - like I wont take the mH on the M6 toll. Why should I pay the same for 4 wheels as they pay for 18?

The only other thing to add - its very early for Croatia, hope you re lucky but weather can be dodgey even in June.

Jon

ps have you remembered the slovenian tolls, unless your going via trieste.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
The only other thing to add - its very early for Croatia, hope you re lucky but weather can be dodgey even in June.

Jon

You must have been unlucky...we've spent May in S Croatia for the last three years and it has largely been shorts and T shirts all the way apart from an odd day when the Bura arrives!
I hope me saying this doesn't change our luck this year...we head off that way again three weeks today!

OP
OP
brimo
Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
and what route will you take Andrew if you don't mind me asking?

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
We live in Devon so cross the channel with Brittany Ferries to Roscoff...then through France crossing into N Italy via the Mont Blanc tunnel....across Italy past Milan and Venice and enter Slovenia near Trieste....quick hop from there into Croatia where we follow the coast as fas as Senj before heading up to the superb German built motorway through the mountains...very quiet and cheap and quickly gets us down South. The alternative is to take the windy coast road (Magistrale) all the way down the coast...fabulous scenery and well worth doing if you are exploring.

Last edited:

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
The coast road south through Croatia is brilliant scenery but due to the road hanging over and litter following the coast the driver will not really appreciate it. North wards the driver gets a good view. Don't forget your ASCI book they have some nice sites in Croatia at a good price

Jan 18, 2014
Wimborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
low profile coachbuilt
Exp
5 years. several more as a caravanner
Did Croatia last year for the whole of June and could quite happily have stayed another month! Would recommend staying around lake Bled (Slovenia) during the journey. Whole range of sites available to suit all tastes, prices all very reasonable. If you want to plan route times, allow longer than normal as roads can be quite primitive, use the only motorway that runs the spine of the country if want to travel with any speed. Island hopping is not as easy as you might imagine but quite well linked from the mainland. We loved the island of Havar and getting to Havar town was a real test of driving skills but they were slowly widening the main road across it. If going to Dubrovnik you need to consider how to by pass Bosnia. We couldn't get insurance to cross so went via ferry to peninsula which ended up very enjoyable. We liked the venue that Harley Davidson chose for last years European Meet which was Biograd. Great little town and Coast line and could genuinely get a pint of the cold stuff and glass of good white wine for the ladies at £1 each! I suspect you will enjoy your trip ( would like to have done more of the Isteria Coast and not missed the Plitvice Lakes)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You must have been unlucky...we've spent May in S Croatia for the last three years and it has largely been shorts and T shirts all the way apart from an odd day when the Bura arrives!
I hope me saying this doesn't change our luck this year...we head off that way again three weeks today!

No we ve generally been lucky but have had very misty cold starting mornings in June. And freinds who went to Istria last Mid September had awful weather, cold and rain and were widely told that early summer had been the same. Most places improve the further south you go, I hope the OP has good weather but still think April is a bit on the early side.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
At least if the weather is bad the bears and wolves stay in hibernation...
DSCF0371.JPG

OP
OP
brimo
Mar 28, 2015
Runcorn, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
20+ years
Did you have to tell them you use gas for cooking? or did you just go through? Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Did you have to tell them you use gas for cooking? or did you just go through? Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
We've used both the Mt Blanc and Frejus [bit further south] tunnels on many occasions and never been asked about our gas supply...loads of camper vans use both tunnels so this is not an issue as far as I'm aware. We do always turn the gas off at the bottle when travelling...
Travelling through the MB tunnel is a bit of an experience...one year it was 5 degrees C at the entrance on the French side...30 degrees C in the middle of the tunnel and 15 degrees C as we came out into Italy.
IMG_0117.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back