Driving the Peripherique (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Although I have been several times to France in a van, I have always steered clear of the Paris Peripherique. However, coming back from Italy in November it would doubtless save time to drive via Paris. I would value people's opinions and experience on this idea! Many thanks

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
1) Have a few beers.

2) Put Satnav on full volume.

3) Close your eyes.

4) Pray

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
For the sake of your sanity avoid anything which resembles rush hour.
You may get off the ring road but you'll be stuck on the first 4 lane roundabout for ever.
I needed to go left at the first roundabout to join a road to Dunkirk but with 4 lanes of traffic turning right at the very next exit I had no choice but turn right onto a suburban dual carriageway.
Lost almost 2 hours fighting my way out.
You can shove Paris when the sun don't shine after that experience.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
If you are doing the peripherique then make sure you buy a newspaper beforehand. you will look just like a Parisien as you read the news whilst you crawl along.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We must have been lucky as nearly every time we have done it we just sailed through, the exception being when there was an accident going our way but they had it cleared and back running in no time.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and do you need one of these clean air tax certificates if you get that close to Paris? or is the peripherique the boundary like the M25 and the LEZ?

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Although I have been several times to France in a van, I have always steered clear of the Paris Peripherique. However, coming back from Italy in November it would doubtless save time to drive via Paris. I would value people's opinions and experience on this idea! Many thanks
We've done it many times. The last time I was at the wheel and my navigator (Cliff) sent us off an exit too early and I ended up in the middle of a market! I could have bought a leather jacket, a suitcase and many tablecloths from the comfort of my driving seat, but I just sat back, obeyed the sat nav and we eventually got back on to the peripherique no problem.

Even better, drive into Paris, stay at the Paris Est campsite and take advantage of the tourist pass, all transport in and out of Paris for €22 - brilliant !

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
OK, here's what we would do due to new pollution control regs which operate at the BP now. We make the journey round the east of Paris many times each year.

If you are coming into Paris up the A6 then plot a route on your GPS to turn off the A6 (at Corbeil-Essonnes) and follow the east/north bound N104 which turns into the A104 (signed Lille). If you don't plot it and as it is neither the fastest or the shortest route your GPS wont take you the entire length on it. It's about 18 km longer than the BP (Boulevard Peripherique), but it is faster so only about 10 - 12 minutes longer to drive than the BP and more relaxing.

The 104 route is also busy at normal world city rush hours (but is the least busy of the 3 eastern ring roads), so if possible avoid 5 - 9am mornings and 3 - 8pm afternoons/evenings. At all other times it will flow quite well, usually. The N104/A104 is now our preferred route although up until recently if we were passing Paris between 2 - 4 am we would use the BP or the A86 centre ring route, but these routes even almost empty (well as empty as it gets anyway) now have reduced the speed limits with plenty of cameras so they are slower than they were 18 months ago.

The A104 will pop you out on to the A1 north of Paris just south of Charles de Gaulle airport, then you have the option to follow the A1 towards Lille until it meets the A26 to Calais or our current preferred route is to turn off the A1 at Roye onto the D934 (duel carriageway) to Amiens and then the A16 to Boulogne/Calais/Dunkerque.

Is you use the Lyon - Dijon - Reims - Calais route it usually costs more in tolls if you are using the autoroute as that Burgundy route is more expensive than most other French autoroutes.

If you have any questions just ask as happy to help, we have covered the A6 to Calais route more than a 100 times in the 12 years and tried every combination we can think of.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Followed my mate Tony Santara (Retired International HGV Operator /Driver) on and off of it, changing directions many many times in a 3 RV convoy. his only advise was "FOLLOW Me" regardless
Rest assured the French had far more problems that day and i believed they were more glad than me when we left it but only just :Eeek:

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Just choose your time, done it many times, take a good paper based map as well as sat nav and just count off the exits as you go.

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
and do you need one of these clean air tax certificates if you get that close to Paris? or is the peripherique the boundary like the M25 and the LEZ?
Yes, thank you, I have bought one of those!

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for all your experiences, very useful. We will probably give it a miss. We will be heading for Rouen to see a friend, and after that to Dieppe, so probably need to find a west of Paris route - we can probably avoid it altogether.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
First time I tackled it was in a classic VW Kombi with no SatNav. It's fair to say it was easier in a MH with a SatNav. Main problem is getting back onto it if you get caught in a wrong lane and make an unplanned exit. A lot of the time it's solid (like the M25 around Heathrow) so you have time to think about what you're doing, but as a general rule we try to avoid it.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It is a great experience that I first did with a caravan in tow with just a compass. It is now very similar to the London North Circular with similar volumes of traffic. Make sure you are in the right lane use your mirrors and remember that the Germans hate changing lanes but like high speed and the French don't like to stay in the same lane for more than 100mtrs before they change again and you will enjoy the experience to the full.
I would prefer the Peripherique to the London North circular during the rush hour anytime but they are very similar. To be honest I have no idea what is so scary about it, it gets you to where you want to go quickly....go for it.(y)

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
If you are arriving at Calais and heading for Rouen you have absolutely no need to go anywhere near Paris. Simply turn right out of the port following the A16 then onto the A28 and it will take you all the way to Rouen. Or turn left if you are using the tunnel.

Class 2 tolls are about 25 euros for the A16 and no tolls at all on the A28.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you are arriving at Calais and heading for Rouen you have absolutely no need to go anywhere near Paris. Simply turn right out of the port following the A16 then onto the A28 and it will take you all the way to Rouen. Or turn left if you are using the tunnel.

Class 2 tolls are about 25 euros for the A16 and no tolls at all on the A28.

Good advise...

EXCEPT...

THey are travelling THE OTHER WAY. ;)(y)

Coming from Italy..

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Only one way! eyes shut, foot down, horn blowing. keep going! Good fun!!:cry::cry::cry:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I think the secret of the BP is to know and look out for the junction before the one you want to use. That will give you time to get into the inside lane. Having said that, the A6 turnoff always catches me out since there's two junctions close together, just past an underpass. I've used it loads of times, unfortunately usually during the evening rush hour, but I think I'll try veevee's alternative next time

Malcolm

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Drivers come unstuck if they stay on the inside lane, you will find yourself in a slip road before you know it. Keep your eye on the overheads and select your lanes accordingly. Don't become harassed by some Citroen attempting to get into your boot.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Last time I used the Peripherique I was towing a wobbly box on the back of my Capri.
No sat nav in those days so when I saw a big sign saying Boulogne I swerved off to the right and on to a slip road. Wrong Boulogne!!!
Ended up in back streets but managed to turn round in a junction and get back on to the wacky races again.
Never been back that way since.

Richard.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
AHH sorry @tonka I didn't start at the beginning this morning and forgot that @Viennese was coming from Italy. Perhaps if we knew where she was crossing back into France it would help us all to advise on a route now we know where she is heading for.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
The other issue that I've come across several times in Paris traffic jams is aggressive motorbikes/scooters. If anyone in the outside lane doesn't leave enough space for them to come through on the inside, you get a kick in the side of your vehicle!

Malcolm

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If you do it early on a Sunday morning its dead easy.

I had the misfortune once to do it on a Saturday afternoon and it was horrific

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
AHH sorry @tonka I didn't start at the beginning this morning and forgot that @Viennese was coming from Italy. Perhaps if we knew where she was crossing back into France it would help us all to advise on a route now we know where she is heading for.
Thanks @trophychap - we are coming from Turin, and will be stopping in Beaune (one of our very favourite places, and where there is an 'open all year' campsite). Looks like we will then go on to Troyes and from there skirt Paris to Rouen.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Never!!!!

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
The other issue that I've come across several times in Paris traffic jams is aggressive motorbikes/scooters. If anyone in the outside lane doesn't leave enough space for them to come through on the inside, you get a kick in the side of your vehicle!

Malcolm

Malcolm, you must have been very unlucky if you had your vehicle kicked by bikers, in our 100+ return trips in the last 12 years and more before that I have never had or seen a biker kick a vehicle, but have seen them stick a foot out to say thanks for letting them through. Yes they can be a bit determined but they are everywhere aren't they? The difference with Paris bikes is so many are so big. But maybe we've just been very lucky?

Thanks @trophychap - we are coming from Turin, and will be stopping in Beaune (one of our very favourite places, and where there is an 'open all year' campsite). Looks like we will then go on to Troyes and from there skirt Paris to Rouen.

Viennese, there's a much more pleasant and easier route to Rouen from the Beaune area than via Troyes. If after visiting Beaune you back-track slightly by heading south for about 25km, turn off at Chalon sur Saone onto the N80/N70/E607 which turns into N79/E62 Expressway heading for Montceau and Moulins it will whisk you across country to either Montlucon where you can take the D943 (one of our favourite roads in France) through to Tours and then on to Le Mans and Rouen, or continue across to Poitiers on the N147 and then the A10 through to Le Mans and Rouen.

It sounds slightly complicated but the road from Chalon to the A20 is all one road and just being upgraded bit by bit until it is all dual carriageway. There are occasional road works but not as we know them in the UK, the traffic still seems to flow quite well.
About 30 km west of Chalon at a large roundabout near Montchanin there is a Total service station on your left (about 3/4 of the way round the roundabout headed west bound), they usually keep their prices very very low especially compared to the autoroute.

OP
OP
Viennese
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks @veevee, that looks like a very nice route for touring. However it will add 220 miles to our route, and as we will be coming home after a 3.5k trip, we will want to get back asap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back