Driving the new Transit. Brilliant! (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I collected our new Chausson 718 the other day (I will change the avatar as soon as I can take a nice photo), and drove it back from Somerset. All I can say is wow! it was superb to drive. Steady as a rock on the motorway even though it was windy, accelerated really quickly (155hp on a 4.1 tonne chassis) and very car like. The engine noise was very subdued and there was very little rattling from behind. One other benefit that might be overlooked is the size of the windscreen and side windows, which give you unbelievable visibility. So far I am absolutely delighted both with the Ford side of things and the motorhome itself. I am so pleased I chose the Transit version.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sounds good..... though the look of the front end is something that only it's mother could love. No doubt we will get used to the Americanisation of the design, but being good to drive is a very major plus point (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A great choice! We'd have one!

Wait for the doom mongers with their stories of broken dual mass flywheels and dodgy back axles from thrashed fleet vans of two or three generations ago!!!!!!
There is a good reason why the Transit is popular with large sections of the building and travelling community. Reliability, at a guess

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Cant beat a Ford we dumped a C class Merc bought Mondeo Titanium absolutely fantastic vehicle. We'd have a Ford chasis happily if the layout was right for us. Oh I like the look of the new trannie.(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Cant beat a Ford we dumped a C class Merc bought Mondeo Titanium absolutely fantastic vehicle. We'd have a Ford chasis happily if the layout was right for us. Oh I like the look of the new trannie.(y)
I think the looks are so different that they will eventually become familiar - very reminiscent of an American pick up, which is the intention as they will be selling many many thousands more transits into the USA than anywhere else. All part of Fords global rationalisation plan

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have a love hate thing with Tranny's they are soooo nice to drive quite reliable but as a panel van they were never wide enough at the top for my work-:eek:-as a m/h with a CB body I think they come into there own (y) I think the new small p van looks lovely(y) yet the large one is pig ugly :(in fact that's a insult to pigs :D so I am with Dux on this :)
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Just for you Forestboy.... :rofl::rofl:

Eddie-Izzard-eddie-izzard-9301891-233-263.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
ROFL !!!
Like you said mate, don't knock it till you try it ! :rofl::rofl:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
for all those wondering whats being discussed, picture of new ford based camper. had a ford based CB from 2007 for 4.5 years. they are OK but nowhere as good as a Fiat. lets hope they have caught up at last....

personally think it looks like a distressed fish :)

looks very nice inside though what with the island bed and at approx £40k looks good value (import).
http://www.promobil.de/test/premiere-chausson-welcome-718-eb-volldampf-voraus-6545999.html

10wp7nm.jpg

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Not sure how this thread has been sidetracked.......... I'm pretty sure I didn't originally post anything about Funster's personal preferences in the haute couture department?
It wouldn't be a Fun thread unless it drifted into something completely random and is then dragged back kicking and screaming to the original subject, would it? :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
its growing on me also :)

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
looks very nice inside though what with the island bed and at approx £40k looks good value (import).
http://www.promobil.de/test/premiere-chausson-welcome-718-eb-volldampf-voraus-6545999.htm

I wish I could have got it for that price! With my trade in history I think all the dealers could see me coming for miles........ With all the extras it was a heck of a lot more than that in a UK dealers unfortunately. The look has really grown on me, especially from the side on, and with the metallic bronze paint it looks very powerful. Hence why we have called him "Powerful Pierre".

10wp7nm.jpg
[/QUOTE]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't forget the ECO button on the dash if it's fitted.

Nobody told me first time I drive the new work van.
Pulled out to pass on the A64 Whitwell hill, got to 72mph and stayed there....Bloody embarrassing.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I want a 510 as the 500 looks cut off, I like the interior layout and it is a Ford like the oddesee I have at the moment. However it is a front wheel drive and I am a bit worried about that as I really like the RWD setup , It is a lot of money to pay out now so I will wait for the inevitable, model that people seems to return after a year of it not being used.
I think they look great much better the Fiat front end.
(DUCK RUN FOR COVER, they are attacking me already)

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
yea we have just had a new transit van at work and they are a brilliant chassis cab,very smooth engine,well done enjoy your motorhome(y)
Brian & Jo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back