Driving/Parking 8-9m vans in Northern Ireland / Ireland (1 Viewer)

Aido10

Free Member
Apr 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hello, me again! We are still exploring and resourcing before buying our first Motorhome but have been looking at some longer motor homes more recently as the space and the extra payload (on the bigger plated vans) really ticks all the boxes with our growing family.

I just wanted to check if there are others on the forum who have experience driving and parking longer Motorhome in Northern Ireland or Ireland? We plan to do some wild camping, day trips and site stays mainly in the UK and Ireland and then when the boys are a bit older, start touring europe. I don’t have really any concerns around driving it per say and staying in campsites and touring Europe, I was more conerned on day trips/wild camping. Mainly concerned around navigating busy areas and parking up for the day with a 9m van.

Does anyone have any experience around this or thoughts? We aren’t rushing into anything anyway as I need to get the c1 and find the right van but just trying to see if there’s something I need to avoid around longer vans.

Thanks

Aido10

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
There's some 'cute' little country roads in mid-south Down, Tyrone, Fermanagh and Armagh.

Tell me how you get on and how many times you need to breath in.

A 9m van only poses a few problems when you need to reverse as the roads can become thin very quickly so do a Google streetview search before going down some if you're worried.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We have a 9m van. Wild camping in U.K. more problematic at that size but can be done

That's a vey good point, I've only just realised that the OP mentioned wild camping. We manage with a slimmer 6.4m PVC but I probably wouldn't bother in a big van; just too much hassle for wilding.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
That's a vey good point, I've only just realised that the OP mentioned wild camping. We manage with a slimmer 6.4m PVC but I probably wouldn't bother in a big van; just too much hassle for wilding.
It is harder but Britstops, CLs and CSs make up fir a lot of the lack of wilding in larger van in U.K.
britstops has Irish stopovers in it now as well.

Upvote 0

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We have done Northern Ireland and the South a couple of times in a 8mtr without any problems you just have to allow for other drivers who don't read the situation. There are many free aire's but we asked a couple of farmers when in the south who gave us the OK.

Upvote 0

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I think Brendan regularly uses his tag axle in Ireland?

As Gus said, I have had my 8.4m tag axle there a few times with no problem.
As I think has already been mentioned, there are some narrow country roads, but if you plan your journey and take your time you should have no problems.
There are not As many campsites in Ireland, but I never found that to be a problem, in fact I never used a campsite at all.
There are lots of wilding opportunities, and many marinas etc to service the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Aldo I don’t think you will have any more issues in a 9m than a 7m in NI. The roads here will cope. Wild camping options in NI are not that great generally, and there are only a few sites listed on Britstops. for example. Most touring sites will be fine for you. I think ROI might be a bit more challenging , for example wild Atlantic way but again it’s more width than length to cope with on narrow roads. Public car parks and town parking can be difficult in motorhomes but again you can you usually find somewhere. Wild camping options bit better in ROI as well. Go for it. Co Down.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back