Driving Over 70yr Old (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
There was a nasty story in the paper this week of a guy who's license had expired, after a small accident the police inspected his license saw it was expired, therefore the car was not insured for him to drive it and was confiscated into the pound at £20.00 cost per day.
Must have got a policy with cover cut to the bone than, because this is not normal.

The usual wording is: ' .... holds, or has held & has not been disqualified from holding a valid driving licence'. Deliberately worded so that forgetting to renew on time does not in itself invalidate the insurance.

However, not renewing at 70 & then continuing to drive a vehicle that requires a medical might be a different matter, because without the medical, the licence wouldn't be valid for the vehicle, whether renewed or not.

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
Hope you get it all sorted quick for Mum sweetheart...fingers crossed she'll be back driving Vanessa very soon! (y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I have just printed of form D4 Medical/ Vision report forms, but there is mention on the DVLA site re a form D2 application form but I cant find one to print off is there such a form ?. Pete

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi
I have just printed of form D4 Medical/ Vision report forms, but there is mention on the DVLA site re a form D2 application form but I cant find one to print off is there such a form ?. Pete

I think it's because D2 needs a photo or signature or something like that. You have to send off for it.
https://www.gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driver/applying-for-a-bus-or-lorry-provisional-entitlement
https://forms.dft.gov.uk/order-dvla-forms/

This tells you about the D2
Broken Link Removed

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi I have printed the D4 and also now sent off for the D2 . thanks Pete
Reading the blurb, I'm not sure you even need the D2, it's not that clear to me, but I think it's saying that if you already have entitlement and are just renewing you don't need it; BUT better to send them too much than too little!

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Sorry about that was that the medical or what was it john

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks Helen but her days of driving Vanessa were short and sweet. It's her eyes. Good enough for a car but not for over 3500kg
What a stupid rule.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:(

Wish it was my Dad who had been stripped of his license instead of your Mum as your Mum is a far superior driver to my Dad.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I can see mummy irnbru getting a new 3.5 tonne van very soon as she enjoys driving.
Just need to look out for the layout you both like.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks Helen but her days of driving Vanessa were short and sweet. It's her eyes. Good enough for a car but not for over 3500kg
What a stupid rule.
Couldn't agree more , I didn't even know there was a diference ? what is the requirement for over 3,5t then on the eye sight test.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Just been having a read. Under the rules Mum only has to satisfy the number plate test as an existing holder, although lapsed.
As A NEW applicant , which she isn't, then yes she must satisfy the far stricter class 2 regs.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
What a stupid rule.
It does seem a bit odd that mum can drive a car and not a mh. .
Tell her to sit back relax and enjoy the journeys. ..
Andy

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I can see mummy irnbru getting a new 3.5 tonne van very soon as she enjoys driving.
Just need to look out for the layout you both like.
Not a chance. We love Vanessa. Shes gutted at the moment and feels part of the fun will be missing but also knows its probably for the best. Mum can sit and be chauffeured everywhere now. :) Will just need to make the effort to take her to her line dancing events so she doesn't miss out.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just been having a read. Under the rules Mum only has to satisfy the number plate test as an existing holder, although lapsed.
As A NEW applicant , which she isn't, then yes she must satisfy the far stricter class 2 regs.
Thanks for this. Very interesting. I will have to have a look. It was her optician that told her that her prescription is too high plus she failed the last 2 letters of the added bottom row.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Here are the regs.

Broken Link Removed

see the line in
Group 2 Drivers
Terminology

" Existing licence holders in this latter group need only satisfy the numberplate requirement as above. "

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
Such stupid rules!! So sorry Jean...huggggs to you both :(

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Oh s**t, sorry to hear this Sandra, but perhaps all is not lost from reading the post from gus-Lopez. Hope it works out for both of you. Always handy to have a second driver, especially when you fancy a glass of wine or 3.
Good luck.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I know I am dumb .. but I don't understand this. Can they not just give her stronger driving glasses? Do they do a test WITHOUT glasses and if so what is the point in that ... Can someone explain please?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Thanks for this. Very interesting. I will have to have a look. It was her optician that told her that her prescription is too high plus she failed the last 2 letters of the added bottom row.
You only need to be able to read the second line of the chart with the worst eye with glasses. (ie. the one only two letters on it.) I have that problem (since measles as a child) and can just read the letters. I have regular check ups to ensure (voluntarily) I still meet the standard. DVLA medical will say if they require a field of vision test when they get the test result from the optician. I sent my field of vision test with my application and got the licence back with no problems.

As Gus says there is a different requirement for new HGV drivers, but for 0ver 70s it is more than just reading a number plate for grandfather C1 renewal. 6/7.5 in the better eye and at least 6/60 in the other, corrective lenses can be worn to meet this standard. They do ask for the standard in both eyes corrected and uncorrected on the form. You need a higher eyesight standard to drive a D1 (9 to 16 seat minibus) than C1. Car drivers just have to self declare they are fit to drive (no medical or eye test).

I have passed the medical at 70 met the requirements. Renew early next year again.

I go to my own doctor as he has my medical records on hand. If you go to another doctor, DVLA medical will still contact your doctor, so that can take time.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Sandra, Thanks for the text explaining... crumbs it is a worry... but thank goodness mum has you and can enjoy coming to see us at the meets. :) xxxxxx

Deleted User
There is a minimum uncorrected level for all LGV licence holders that have to take a medical. I have been having medicals every 5 years since I was 45, this minimum uncorrected level was introduced fairly recently( on my time scale this could mean within the last 10 years!:) )

My understanding was that this level was very low and is a very sensible rule for drivers of LGV's and do not forget that a motorhome larger than 3500k is a LGV and new drivers would have to take an additional test in order to be able to drive one.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have recently had the C1+E removed from my licence at 70 following visual field tests. This limits me to a gvw of 3500kgs but with group B+E I am allowed a gtw of 11000kgs , how daft is that.

The consultant that successfully operated on one of my eyes three years ago with no ill effect to my sight , said " no problem to drive" but the DVLA now insist that field tests carried out by Specsavers are now the rule of thumb and you cannot discuss the results/decision with the faceless DVLA nine to fivers.

As a result I can no longer drive our RV .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back