Driving off an leaving your gas on (by accident) (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I'm dumb, I'm only here as a reference point to make normal people feel clever. I do the kind of thing like leaving the gas on when I drive off site, in the case of a new Roller Team motorhome or similar equivalent, what would happen to my fridge (and anything else currently using the gas) when I attempt to drive off with said items still running ? I know that gas should be shut off at the valve before moving, but what it you forget ?

(I also like to drive off with the tv aerial extended at maximum height, I just do this stuff for the entertainment of others ;)

Paul

P.S : I believe the Roller Team fridge is somehow automatic, it can pick it's own energy source, but surely that means that it will switch to the EHU, or then back onto 12v when you drive away. that's my kind of feature :)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's just occurred to me (after nearly 10 years of ownership - duh!) my fridge must stay on 12v for a reasonable time after switching the engine off - that would explain the odd time when we've noticed it's still on 12v not long after stopping and have manually switched it back to gas. :clap::clap::clap:

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think they stay in "12V mode" after switching off the engine for another 20 minutes before swapping to gas. The display might suggest 12V but it won't (or shouldn't) be taking any current.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It's just occurred to me (after nearly 10 years of ownership - duh!) my fridge must stay on 12v for a reasonable time after switching the engine off - that would explain the odd time when we've noticed it's still on 12v not long after stopping and have manually switched it back to gas. :clap::clap::clap:
It’s done so that if you go to fill up with diesel the gas is not ignited or you could be in big trouble

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
only turn mine off when I am filling, tunnel or getting an MOT.

Just got back from MOT today and wondered why the van was getting very cold... :doh:

Upvote 0

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I never turn mine off in my PVC. The valve turn off is located under the van in a metal box next to the underslung LPG tank. Crawling under the van in the mud after a long journey is not my scene at all. Just make a note to turn of the internal gas isolator valve in the van when not using gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lucy the Laika

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 7, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
Laika EcoVip 410
Exp
Auto fridges 'auto' re ignite to gas after it has no other energy source. If mains 220/240v connected or engine running 12v then it won't.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I accept that you're dumb but that's a level of intelligence I can only aspire too (or to).

The only reason I don't continually have things up / loose / trailing / hissing is because we have pre-'flight' and 'landing' checklist cards.

I'm dumb, I'm only here as a reference point to make normal people feel clever. I do the kind of thing like leaving the gas on when I drive off site, in the case of a new Roller Team

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back