Driving off an leaving your gas on (by accident) (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I'm dumb, I'm only here as a reference point to make normal people feel clever. I do the kind of thing like leaving the gas on when I drive off site, in the case of a new Roller Team motorhome or similar equivalent, what would happen to my fridge (and anything else currently using the gas) when I attempt to drive off with said items still running ? I know that gas should be shut off at the valve before moving, but what it you forget ?

(I also like to drive off with the tv aerial extended at maximum height, I just do this stuff for the entertainment of others ;)

Paul

P.S : I believe the Roller Team fridge is somehow automatic, it can pick it's own energy source, but surely that means that it will switch to the EHU, or then back onto 12v when you drive away. that's my kind of feature :)

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I'm going to love my new hobby, we're in the final stages of choosing, looking at Roller Team T-Line 590, and Chausson Welcome 530, both are kind of similar layouts, and I think made by the same group in the same factory, they both have pretty much everything we need, but are different in many ways, we'll be seeing if we can get a deal on one or the other during this week, then depending on what's in stock, I'll know wether we'll get it this summer or not.
Quite excited !

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
things have changed so much in the years I've been out of this hobby. I guess that everything on the new vans is electronically controlled. So I can leave the gas on, with the fridge running, drive away without changing a thing, and the fridge should shut off the gas supply, run on 12v. If I park up again, it will automatically re-light on gas ? then, upon arriving on site, the EHU will trigger it to go onto electric power ?

thats amazing !
... just remember to put it into auto mode when you are using it but more importantly to turn it off when you get back home and won't use it for a while otherwise you'll end up with no gas and, if it can also run on 12v when the engine's not running, flat batteries too!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If it's really cold and decide to have a small bonfire in your camper, then it may be a good idea to turn off the gas.
Unless the missus wants a cuppa:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Minxy Girl, "Automatic" isn't daft enough to flatten the battery is it ?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It will use whatever power source is available to it until it is depleted or gets too low so it might!

I haven't had an AES fridge for a long time but our old one could do it but the newer ones might have something to prevent this ... you'll need to check.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
No*.
But it could use up all your gas.
* unless it's been installed incorrectly, which I hope is unlikely. It's not possible to be 100% certain about such things because something might have been 'modified' by someone at sometime.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The official line is that you should turn your gas off when the vehicle is moving, unless you have the "Secumotion" anti-crash sensors.

I used to turn it off, but now only gets done getting on the Chunnel or ferry and when it's in storage.

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We also have gas on all the time, crash sensors fitted and automatic changeover.

The satellite dish retracts when ignition is turned on, but I usually remember to lower it before setting off anyway

I’m quite scared of driving away with EHU connected, as I think that would do quite a lot of damage. The old van had an alarm that sounded if you turned in the ignition with the EHU connected. Now I rely on a checklist. ( I don’t know why I call her that; she’s from Glasgow, never been to Czechoslovakia)

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The only problem is, if, your fridge is on gas, when you fuel up, there could be one almighty bang.

What will go "bang"?

Diesel won't.

Maybe a car next to you whose owner is spraying out petrol as he fuels up...

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Always turn ours off when driving even though it can be left on as it changes automatically.I just prefer to have the gas totally isolated in case of any unforeseen problem.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Remember parents unplugging the TV - and some unplugged (and probably still unplug) everything at night

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My Gran would leave the flex of her vacuum cleaner on the floor for a while, to let the 'leccy in it escape before winding it up.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes & water off at the stopcock when going away as well as the electric off at the incoming mains switch. :LOL:
Its taken me years to stop mum from turning off her hard-driver recorder at home!

When I was little Mum always removed plugs from sockets before bed (we had a gas fridge) and if there was a thunder storm the aerial lead too!

Upvote 0

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Test driving tomorrow !!!
Exp
if we turned the gas off the casserole wouldnt cook

Seriously - you can have the oven on while travelling!! Roast dinner on arrival sounds tempting! I have a Bailey Autograph 79 6 - I don't think the fridge switches automatically. I have to press the dial in and press the ignition until the needle moves round to the green bit......

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Seriously - you can have the oven on while travelling!! Roast dinner on arrival sounds tempting! I have a Bailey Autograph 79 6 - I don't think the fridge switches automatically. I have to press the dial in and press the ignition until the needle moves round to the green bit......
It’s safer than leaving a stew in a saucepan on the burner. Have to drive really slowly round corners and that tends to upset other road users

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
What will go "bang"?

Diesel won't.

Maybe a car next to you whose owner is spraying out petrol as he fuels up...

JJ :cool:
Petrol vapour is heavier than air, hot day vapour can linger for some time. Enough said.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just out of interest, a question for those with fridge automatic changeover, I can understand it changeing to 12v when the engine is running, but when it reverts to gas afterwards how does it activate the igniter? - as our manual start needs us to hold in the knob to activate the igniter.

Geoff
It is simply automated. Holding in the knob on any gas appliance opens the gas valve. Once the flame failure device kicks in the knob can be released. To automate that the gas valve is opened electrically for a fixed period then the FFD kicks in as normal. If the fixed period is exceeded and the appliance fails to light the sequence is repeated. Usually 3 attempts are made then the appliance indicates that it has failed to ignite & shuts down. A Truma, Alde, and your domestic boiler all work in the same way.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You have a Thetford fridge.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If we turn off the gas, how can the missus do my a fry-up on the move?

Full English and 3 or 4 pints sets me up to drive all day :)

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We only turn ours off when refilling. Its laziness I know.

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Understand your concerns @JJ but I'm not aware of any such "explosions" ever being reported. Same as the mobile telephone warnings garages display - it's never happened.

Unless someone knows different? I'm happy to be enlightened.

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
How would you use the kettle on the hob when you're driving if you switched the gas off ? It would be too difficult to lean out and switch it on whilst on the motorway.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back