Driving off an leaving your gas on (by accident) (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I'm dumb, I'm only here as a reference point to make normal people feel clever. I do the kind of thing like leaving the gas on when I drive off site, in the case of a new Roller Team motorhome or similar equivalent, what would happen to my fridge (and anything else currently using the gas) when I attempt to drive off with said items still running ? I know that gas should be shut off at the valve before moving, but what it you forget ?

(I also like to drive off with the tv aerial extended at maximum height, I just do this stuff for the entertainment of others ;)

Paul

P.S : I believe the Roller Team fridge is somehow automatic, it can pick it's own energy source, but surely that means that it will switch to the EHU, or then back onto 12v when you drive away. that's my kind of feature :)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Never turn ours off either, mind you, we do have crash sensors on the system.
Why not print out a small pre-flight check list for things to disconnect/turn off before driving off. If you laminate it you can put it on the dash or steering wheel as a reminder.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I run on gas wben travelling as temp remains lower .Far better than 12v

Our fridge / freezer automatically goes to 12v once the engine starts and the heating automatically takes heat from the engine heat exchanger so no gas usage then. The advantage is that everything goes back to gas when you stop. We feel safe as we also have crash sensors. As Richard says we also use a pre (and post) flight check lists. Saves taxing the few brain cells I have left :D2.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
I'm dumb, I'm only here as a reference point to make normal people feel clever. I do the kind of thing like leaving the gas on when I drive off site, in the case of a new Roller Team motorhome or similar equivalent, what would happen to my fridge (and anything else currently using the gas) when I attempt to drive off with said items still running ? I know that gas should be shut off at the valve before moving, but what it you forget ?

(I also like to drive off with the tv aerial extended at maximum height, I just do this stuff for the entertainment of others ;)

Paul

P.S : I believe the Roller Team fridge is somehow automatic, it can pick it's own energy source, but surely that means that it will switch to the EHU, or then back onto 12v when you drive away. that's my kind of feature :)
So it's confirmed then..I am not normal!!

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Only ever turn ours off when they tell us we have to on the chunnel

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Like most replies so far, I only turn mine off for the ferry, or when I'm refilling the Gaslow cylinders, or when the m/h is being parked up at home for more than a couple of weeks.
I never turn my gas off at home :sneaky:.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just out of interest, a question for those with fridge automatic changeover, I can understand it changeing to 12v when the engine is running, but when it reverts to gas afterwards how does it activate the igniter? - as our manual start needs us to hold in the knob to activate the igniter.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just out of interest, a question for those with fridge automatic changeover, I can understand it changeing to 12v when the engine is running, but when it reverts to gas afterwards how does it activate the igniter? - as our manual start needs us to hold in the knob to activate the igniter.

Geoff
Theres no knob to hold in on an AES fridge.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well I always turn ours OFF when we are on the move. When we first went out in the van,I turned it off at night as well!!!! Don’t do that now.
But,we are new to this game,and I’m from the “you can’t be too careful”, “Belt and braces school”
Can’t help it!
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003

Paul

I once set off with the electric hook up cable still attached to the house, found out that Spain is more than 25m from home.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We try to remember to switch it off but sometimes forget. There is a crash sensor cut off (actually two - one that came ready installed with the van and one put in with the Autogas system). The only place it would really really be an issue would be at a fuel station or if there was a fuel leak I think.

I do have a post-it note to put on the dash that says "GAS" but it sometimes falls down.

Don't have a tv so the dish etc at full extension isn't a problem.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assumed that but how does the igniter get activated?
The clue's in the name ... it's AUTOMATIC so it automatically ignites when it changes to gas.:D

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

Paul

Don’t be embarrassed, it’s something that most of us have done at some time or other. Niether fridge nor TV will suffer from the actions you describe. The fridge will look after itself but the TV signal may vary if the aerial is directional. Just watch-out under low bridges because ducking won’t help.

The fridge will use mains if EHU is connected or 12V when driving, otherwise it’ll switch to gas 20 minutes after you’ve stopped. If you manually override the auto function you could force it to use gas (leave it on Auto).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
things have changed so much in the years I've been out of this hobby. I guess that everything on the new vans is electronically controlled. So I can leave the gas on, with the fridge running, drive away without changing a thing, and the fridge should shut off the gas supply, run on 12v. If I park up again, it will automatically re-light on gas ? then, upon arriving on site, the EHU will trigger it to go onto electric power ?

thats amazing !

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
I assumed that but how does the igniter get activated?

All done by the electronic control unit within the fridge so ignition etc all happen electronically so whether you select the power source by manually selecting your choice or leaving it to Automatically select there are no buttons to press and hold (A.E.S - Auto energy selection.)

The fridge in our new Moho will even run on 12volt even without engine running if you have loads of spare chare in hab battery rather than using gas but obviously mains 240 volt would always be prioritised when on hook up.

Pretty cool and leaves one thing less to think of and as mentioned when you stop it waits a while in case you are at a fuel station to give you time to finish before sparking up the gas or as said before “by magic”

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back