DRIVING MOTORHOME OVER 3.5T IN SWITZERLAND (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Hello

Can someone tell me exactly what documents I would need to drive my motorhome in Switzerland please, I am over 3.5t.
thank you

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I had to show my V5 at the border to confirm weight
I also carry my insurance docs but was not asked for these

Paid €25 if memory serves me right for 4.25 ton for 10x 1 day passes

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ever more "Euro-fleecing". The same countries Residents come to Blighty and go free!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I had to show my V5 at the border to confirm weight
I also carry my insurance docs but was not asked for these

Paid €25 if memory serves me right for 4.25 ton for 10x 1 day passes

Robert is correct but Tinkerbell each day pass has to be discounted whether one is driving or parked, even on a campsite - it is just for time spent in Switzerland, but if you drive through, say to Italy, in 3 days you still have 7 days left which can be used anytime within one yearr from date of issue.

Geoff

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think he was referring to the anti EU /johnny foriegner reply about euro-fleecing rather than your original question but it does seem a bit unfair if you have to pay for days you spend on private property if you are on a site and don't go out sounds wrong to me

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Oooookay, thanks. Will only be there 3-5 days anyway.

So all I have to do then is turn up at the border and follow their instructions, no other documents needed except V5 and insurance. is that correct.?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
And take some decent wine with you the red is at best mediocre both red and white expensive many Swiss cross the border to do their shopping every week!!

Deleted User
There are plenty of other countries that will welcome you with open arms why go to Switzerland, extremely expensive, unfriendly, I could go on and on. Scenery is nice though.

Spongy

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Oooookay, thanks. Will only be there 3-5 days anyway.

So all I have to do then is turn up at the border and follow their instructions, no other documents needed except V5 and insurance. is that correct.?

When you get to the border, assuming you're using a normal border crossing rather than a tiny country one, use the cars lane (not the trucks) then tell the nice customs man you are over 3.5 tonnes. He/she will direct you to the customs office where you fill in a form, pay them some money and Robert is your mothers brother. You don't need your V5 but it'll be useful. They're usually very helpful if you need assistance. Don't forget to fill in one of the boxes for that day of course..........

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Thank you TerryL - apparently we are going to Germany, Austria Switzerland and then into France, I think I have that right, quicker way back into France, thats was hubby tells me anyway, unless anyone knows a better way.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Switzerland is Awsome - you have to go even if its just for the scenery, when we went we went up an down so many passes via mountains it was breathtaking, the roads up there are a fete of engineering in themselves.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you TerryL - apparently we are going to Germany, Austria Switzerland and then into France, I think I have that right, quicker way back into France, thats was hubby tells me anyway, unless anyone knows a better way.

Difficult to advise when we have so little info on your plan.

Are youur touring Austria? If so you will need a 'Go-Box' for the M/Ways(expensive) or need a careful plan to stay off them.

On the other hand if you are just skirting the West end of Austria to get from Germany to Switzerland then maybe a 'Go-Box' is not necessary and maybe via Austria is not either.

We need information - if you can drag it out of hubby:LOL:

Geoff

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Very vague, we never really plan, but we have to to the hymer factory in Germany as we won a competition to go there, then we have to go over the Grossglockner pass and then we have to see Glorenza and the Stelvio pass. ( I don't he will cycle this this time) and that is as far as we have planned, the rest is see as we go. Our van is called Alice as we always wonder where we will end up. Open to other ideas and places and routes, aires, campsites, etc. Dog comes too.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
we haven't got our new MH yet as its being built in June, its MTPLM is 4250KGS as we need a decent payload for our stuff.
I did know about the Swiss V thingy only covering 10 days travel on roads over the 12 month period, but had no idea that the 10 day permit was inclusive of days spent on campsites etc...is that really the case?if so that's really not doing much for us or their tourist industry!
Also can you guys tell me any other instances where we will be charged extra for being over 3500KGS, but please let me have the facts gently, as I frighten easily.:eek:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We are currently in Venice aiming to leave today, heading for Germany via Switzerland, we are 4.25 tonnes so I will let you know how we get on.
Austria would have been our more obvious crossing point but we can't be bothered with the hassle and expense of the "go box".

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Robert is correct but Tinkerbell each day pass has to be discounted whether one is driving or parked, even on a campsite - it is just for time spent in Switzerland, but if you drive through, say to Italy, in 3 days you still have 7 days left which can be used anytime within one yearr from date of issue.

Geoff
Tinkerbell, all the above is correct.

Having been through Switzerland a few times just one more word of advice. Make sure you have completed the Vignette for each day BEFORE you get to the Swiss exit border crossing. On my last trip arrived at the border crossing into Italy and for the first time was stopped to have the paperwork checked, rookie officer, under the watchful eye of a 'senior chappie'. Very pleasant, very polite, but was still fined 60 euro for not completing the paperwork for each day. The frustrating bit for me was watching all the other motorhomes waving and smiling as they passed through the border without stopping....lesson learnt for me...(y)

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Would love to hear how you get on in Switzerland please.
Do I need anything for driving in Italy?

The French have the citri air sticker, do you need one for any other countries too? Only for cities which we hope to avoid anyway,

We did get a good way into Austria last year in a smaller van, but it rained so much we came home, which is why we are trying again this year as we want to go over the Grossglockner pass. Must start some planning this weekend.

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Would love to hear how you get on in Switzerland please.
Do I need anything for driving in Italy?

The French have the citri air sticker, do you need one for any other countries too? Only for cities which we hope to avoid anyway,

We did get a good way into Austria last year in a smaller van, but it rained so much we came home, which is why we are trying again this year as we want to go over the Grossglockner pass. Must start some planning this weekend.

Switzerland is a dream, scenic, perfect roads, all passes are normally open in summer, but in the event they are not there is always plenty of signage letting you know.
Nothing more needed other than the Vignette and if you get chance take a look at Lucerne and stop over there. There is a campsite, Camping International Lido, on the lakeside, that is well within normal walking distance into the city that takes any size motorhome etc.
Just enjoy Switzerland, its a beautiful country.

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
We drive through Switzerland to go skiing and have never stopped at a boarder or had to buy a permit , do you mean you need a permit for the motorways?

Our camper is 5 ton

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
We drive through Switzerland to go skiing and have never stopped at a boarder or had to buy a permit , do you mean you need a permit for the motorways?

Our camper is 5 ton
All foreign plated vehicles entering Switzerland need a Vignette, depending on size of MH depends which Vignette you need.

Upto 3.5T you can purchase a Vignette that lasts for one calendar year from date of issue. Over 3.5T you can only purchase the Vignette at the point of entry border into Switzerland and that is only valid for 10 days non consecutive.

If you have never had to purchase or been stopped by the Swiss Police then you are one very lucky guy. The border patrol guards normally look at your windscreen for evidence of the Vignette.

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I'm sure this is only for motorway,s , we have been spoken too by boarder guards but no problems , we told them we didn't need one and they were fine.

(y)(y)(y)

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
I'm sure this is only for motorway,s , we have been spoken too by boarder guards but no problems , we told them we didn't need one and they were fine.

(y)(y)(y)
Last year, I was fined 60 euro for not completing the Vignette at an exit border crossing from Switzerland to Italy. I had failed that day to complete the document as one is required to do on a 10 day vignette and we had only driven down from St Moritz, no motorways involved. I for one will keep getting a vignette its cheaper than a fine...(y)

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
All foreign plated vehicles entering Switzerland need a Vignette, depending on size of MH depends which Vignette you need.

Upto 3.5T you can purchase a Vignette that lasts for one calendar year from date of issue. Over 3.5T you can only purchase the Vignette at the point of entry border into Switzerland and that is only valid for 10 days non consecutive.

If you have never had to purchase or been stopped by the Swiss Police then you are one very lucky guy. The border patrol guards normally look at your windscreen for evidence of the Vignette.

When we went into Switzerland last September, as we were 3500kgs, we were advised on the border that we would need a vignette to use the motorways. This vignette is valid from January to January, not calendar year with no part year discounts.

We elected not to buy the vignette and avoid the motorways, but on reflection, we wished we had bought it :)

Cheers

Trevor

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

(y)(y)(y)

I think that either you are not reading the whole thread, or you do not want to believe what several of us have posted.

Under 3.5t the Vignette is needed for M/Ways only.

You have said your MH is 5t. In which case the rule that applies is that you have to pay for a permit covering every day you are in the country, whether driving or not, and you must enter that day on it.

If you told a border guard that you did not need one, you were wrong/lying. I consider you were lucky to get away with it, especially since I believe there are weight machines at some crossings, and they use them.

I hope you now understand - it could save you some big fines.

Geoff

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The permit for over 3.5t is an HGV tax which as already has been said, is payable for every day you are in Switzerland, it also allows you to use the M/ways.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back