Driving motorhome at 70 years of age. (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2008
Funster No
Thinking of changing my motorhome to one weighing 4250kg what do I need to do after 70 and would I be ok now I passed my test about 40 years ago and am now 66 years old

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi you will need to take a medical periodicaly at 70and after depending on your health. to drive over 3.500kg gvw vehicles .
if i may say if you get a vehicle under 3.500kg and tow a trailer the weights can be quite high . a fifth wheel or mini artic camper could be the way forward . . iveco drop the weights of their daily chassis cabs to allow the use of b+e licence driving for pre 97 drivers the smaller unitshave a train /combined weight of 8700kg some on the new ones up to 10500kg combined wt.
this format could and is the way forward if you are aproaching the magic age of 70.
saves expensive medicals etc . might be worth considering . you dont have to go enormous . i use a 20ft trailer , altogether am only 10mtr long 3 mtrs high, 7ft 6ins wide.
just food for thought.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thanks jim.might learn how to do that one day.
unfortunately the gov dont properly explain the b+e limits on their web site.
there is no weight restriction for pre 97 holders only the trainweight of the towing unit ,if the unit is under 3,500kg gvw .
medicals can be quite expensive to allow the retention of your c1+e etc . and need to be every three years .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks jim.might learn how to do that one day.
[HI]unfortunately the gov dont properly explain the b+e limits on their web site[/HI].
there is no weight restriction for pre 97 holders only the trainweight of the towing unit ,if the unit is under 3,500kg gvw .
medicals can be quite expensive to allow the retention of your c1+e etc . and need to be every three years .

yeah.. there' a lot they don't explain on their web site ...

probably because they don't know or haven't made it up yet :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is certainly an issue

It is certainly an issue for those that arrive at there 70th birthday.. one day you can drive up to 8.25 tons with a trailer C1 + E licence then the next day it is 4,250 kgs with a trailer C1 + E licence i.e 7.5 tons (&,500 kgs) front end or then after 70 it is 3.5 tons (3,500 kgs)...

As the granddad licence works it's way through over the years the heavier motorhome or RV will not be as desirable due to the licence requirements and the medicals.

Alan has given a view re a call arctic in effect. But it is something we all face sooner or later.

Me I would go for the larger unit and enjoy the remaining years and see what your health is when you reach 70.

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant see a roblem . i find it all easy to understand and if i have a question i ring dvla ,vosa or driver standards agency. give them my interpretation . they may agree or offer a different version . find them very helpfull.
should anyone need help i am wiling to assist in getting advice for anyone . i do in fact have many desk numbers for dept in swansea . gets direct to the right person. or they hook me up internally. years of challenging them helps . pm me if you need help.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
cant see a roblem . i find it all easy to understand and if i have a question i ring dvla ,vosa or driver standards agency. give them my interpretation . they may agree or offer a different version . find them very helpfull.
should anyone need help i am wiling to assist in getting advice for anyone . i do in fact have many desk numbers for dept in swansea . gets direct to the right person. or they hook me up internally. years of challenging them helps . pm me if you need help.

cheers Alan..

ask them about driving an RV over 7.5 ton on grandfather rights ! :winky:

where's me wooden spoon :roflmto:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
jim i have no problem with that one . i have explained it a few times . think it may have helped if many had applied for their large bus retention in 91 . that could cause a good argument . unfortunately grandfathers rights arent always what folk think they are.
i try to look forward and think the b+e is the way . i know of 11ton trains even 12ton possibles . all using the rules as they stand . its not all about artics but 5ers in general. they make the rules, we can use them to our best advantage. took me a while o get it fully understood as it didnt make sense to meat first. but then does law etc have to make sense .
dvla first told me about it . i didnt believe them seems to good to be real. their site just keeps babbling on about c1+e and doesnt really explain b1+e.but use the rules stay on the right side and laugh with them . not at them they dont like that .hee hee.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dodgey i can handle that one as well . its all easy to understand . cant never understand the problem with them. i can say most of the ones i have seen dont meet the requirements . well only for recovery use.
i can explain it all in a few hours . mines a pint ,ha ha .

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Is it possible to have a vehicle plated at 4000...........downgraded and replated to say 3500 to avoid weight issues?

Obviously you would not be able to carry as much

Not an issue for me for quite some time...but just wondered?

barry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there are lotsof ways to do things .yes you could have a heavier one dropped to 3,500kg . but the payload is bad. many m,homes that come into uk have already had this done .thats why its so easy to up grade so many.
i can drop lots of 5,6 7ton vehicles to 3,500kg gvw as tow units for pulling 5ers . or mini artics . its a paper work exercise.
if i was closing 70 i would think seriously as to which way to go. mind have a 3,500kg and tow a trailer . many of the french do this . have it as a drive wardrobe etc . some it carries m,bikes washing machines etc . think out of the box and use the rules to suit your life style. i,m not there for along time but already think about what to do if the rules stay as they are. with mine i would lower the gvw to 3,500kg . move the wheels forward on the trailer to ease the weight on the pin and i could carry on driving it . might handle slightly different but cost hardly anything to do. even have a better train weight than i do now . but would then have to mot the truck . ba====d thats a shame . cant win them all.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi,
Went through the same problem three years ago, having driven for 52 years without even a parking Tkt. Had a chat with my Doc and showed him the application form, his comment was that it was no different to a HGV application,(Cost £120) He warned me that if I failed, then they can withdraw your car license for review. You also need a yearly eye test and if you wear glasses to drive, you can be asked to take a Macular Eye test each year cost (£58 approx.). If you fail either of these tests you must inform your insurance, then what!( Doc's comment! Sell your Van!)
A minefield, there is no doubt about it our caring sharing masters want all us 'old fogies' Off the road.
Answer, stick with 3.5 and a low profile.
Best Regards, Mac

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
When I got to 70 I went to a private GP surgery and had a test for £90-that gave me all the classes that I had on my license.At 73 I did the same again.Hopefully in 2013 the same will happen.
Our current van is plated at 3,500,but,I'm happy knowing I can go upwards if necessary.None of this has been a hassle.

Mike.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL - but if you failed the macula eye test it actually means you is nearly blind as a bat and most likely shouldn't be driving anything at all anyway. I'd rather know for a fact I haven't got maculopathy - be it age-related, wet or dry!

My Dr actually charges more for the medical if it's NOT job-related. So he is effectively saying - if you can afford a big vehicle for leisure purposes then you can obviously afford to pay more.

Yrs etc Mrs Cynical ........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back