Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i have never been a big fan of driving,to be honest i find it a necessery evil to get where im going:Sad:
i know a lot of motorhomers find the driving bit fun,but for me it's filled with rage and anger at times,rather be on my m/bike, although every man and his dog tries to kill you at times:Angry:
i think the proplem with me,is that i focus on getting where im going,and god help anybody that gets in my way,drives the wife mad:Eeek:
so if i arrive at a meet,and me and the wife aint talking,dont worry as some burk in a merc has proberly just cut me up,resulting in me trying to t bone him at the next roundabout:Angry:
so whats your thought's,driving love it or hate it??

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm not all that keen on driving either. I tend to drive at the speed limit and don't relax.

Jill, on the other hand, can relax when driving and is much better than I am at keeping to around 55 mph for fuel economy. So, Jill drives the van most of the time and I just navigate and watch the world go by :Smile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I love it :thumb: driving anything :thumb: SWMBO can drive but does not unless absolutely necessary same as oldest while my youngest was the same as me :thumb: deffo better driver than passenger :ROFLMAO:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i wish i could get fran to drive the motorhome,that's a bit unfair,she does as long as i aint init:Smile:
another thing i do now is try to beat the tomtom,it says 2hours,i think,no i can do it faster.
getting to the point i should bin my licence and walk:ROFLMAO:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
The days when I can drive purely for pleasure are now few and far between. I can remember when I would drive to Scarborough after work for fish and chips with my family. These days It can take 50% longer to make the same journey.
Every journey on the Triumph is for pleasure and guaranteed to put a smile on my face.

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
Never been a big fan of driving, but I adopt a totally different mindset when driving the MH. For me the holliday starts when we pull off the drive, mind you captains chairs, auto gearbox, cruise control and air con go a long way towards chilling me out.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I adore driving anything and always have done. Sadly the cost of fuel has changed everything including the way I drive.

I was going to be everywhere when i retired but just not possible now, can only do shorter Runs the UK

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm the same, totally chilled when driving the motorhome, in fact even in a hurry, if I spot a good parking space with a view I can't resist stopping and putting the kettle on ::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I enjoy driving most of the time,even in adverse weather, snow,ice etc. I particularly like driving the MH which I find most relaxing and one of the best bits of a holiday.

I am a very bad passenger though, operator of the phantom brake pedal frequently, or else I go to sleep.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have always enjoyed driving, good job as a service engineer a lot of my time was spent getting to and from jobs as I covered anywhere south of London, normally but it could be anywhere if required.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I love driving. Did driving for a living once, artics all over the UK, Europe, middle east. Have driven RVs in the Usa. With the RV, and the cruise set, i could go forever, if only i could afford the fuel to do it. It's in the blood.

Craig

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
I love driving and also like being a passenger well thats was until i was a passenger in smudgers RV ever sins then iv been a nerves wreck:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For me a good 40% of the experience is the driving.. Love driving and love driving the van

Any other vehicle and all all agro and stress.. get in the cab of the van and suddenly I am that benign smiling person you all know and love ( sic !!! :ROFLMAO: )

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I love driving but not as much as I used to due to the crowded roads and high fuel costs. Get on the continent though and it's like it used to be over here forty years ago with hardly anything on the roads. Love it.

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Love driving, and so does K which leads to arguments about who's going to do it when we're out and about, especially in The Rosabella.

I must admit my driving style has changed over the years althoughy I do still succomb to the 'I've got to win' mentality on occasions, especially when somebody overtakes me in a racey kind of way.

It's a different matter in The Rosie. The better view over the hedgerows, the 'geloperda geloperda' of the engine and the need to keep all the crockery in the right place mean a much slower, healthier pace.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
i have never been a big fan of driving,to be honest i find it a necessery evil to get where im going:Sad:
i know a lot of motorhomers find the driving bit fun,but for me it's filled with rage and anger at times,rather be on my m/bike, although every man and his dog tries to kill you at times:Angry:
i think the proplem with me,is that i focus on getting where im going,and god help anybody that gets in my way,drives the wife mad:Eeek:
so if i arrive at a meet,and me and the wife aint talking,dont worry as some burk in a merc has proberly just cut me up,resulting in me trying to t bone him at the next roundabout:Angry:

Youve got to chill chris :) Its horrible for passengers driving with an agressive driver.

Try this..........drive very carefully in order to maximise you fuel consumption. Accelerate slowly keep your speed down and anticipate braking.
Give yourself plenty of time for your journey...and let the idiots fly past you.

When you realize at the end of your journey that your delicate use of the right foot has done the government out of a bit more fuel tax..you will get a nice warm glow ::bigsmile:

barry

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Love it, but more so in Scotland than England, too many cars...
It's like a switch driving North to Aberdeen once you hit Beattock summit on the M6...it's like ..woah...where's everyone gone :roflmto:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i remember driving back from france,on a baccy run ,before tomtom was even thought of,and the wife and 2 freinds were sat in the car ,and takeing a wrong turn and ending up going right through the centre of london:Eeek:getting lost,pi**ing down with rain and ending up in london city,and punching out the windscreen from the inside,and trying to explain that to the windscreen fitter the next day:ROFLMAO:
our freind's never did go with us again,cant think why:Blush:
sit me behind a wheel and i turn into a monster:ROFLMAO:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Enjoy everthing about it, rarely get upset, always very chilled out and my passengers always enjoy the ride too. Camper car love it all. I also do the occasional track day recommended and get a lot of pleasure sliding around wet and slippery skidpans to.:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I love driving, was a driving instructor back in the sixties and the pleasure has not gone away.
Always need more concentration in the RV with toad in tow, 50 ft long, especially in and out of filling stations :Eeek:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: love driving used to be a taxi driver great, lot's of fun would think nothing of doing 1000 mile's in a day. I just get a little p****ed of with the French habit of when two lane's go into one and I leave a propper braking distance some T***t has to force their way in at speed I have had a coulpe of near misses :Eeek:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98

Please post up when you're going to be out and about driving.......................:whatthe:

So we can all avoid you

:winky:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
i remember driving back from france,on a baccy run ,before tomtom was even thought of,and the wife and 2 freinds were sat in the car ,and takeing a wrong turn and ending up going right through the centre of london:Eeek:getting lost,pi**ing down with rain and ending up in london city,and punching out the windscreen from the inside,and trying to explain that to the windscreen fitter the next day:ROFLMAO:
our freind's never did go with us again,cant think why:Blush:
sit me behind a wheel and i turn into a monster:ROFLMAO:

Scary!!:Eeek:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
As a former HGV Driver..gladly now retired...the joys of the open road were few and far between...The deadlines..late loading...and still having to get it there on time..and some YTS plank in the office who failed basic geography..thinking Aberdeen to Inverness takes only 45 minutes..(Yea in a Maserati mate and then some)..I was actually glad to give it up...When I decided to full time the need for speed left me..so I thought I can drive round the UK and actually be able to look at places on the way and not speed through!!!...Oh Motoberg..How long has Beattock Summit been on the M6..Have they moved it since I quit the HGV game or what!!..I thought it was on the M74...mind you when I was a truck driver it was the A74 and just dual carriageway!!

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Oops..yes, its a tad further North..:Blush:
Was thinking Shap but brain typing beattock:RollEyes:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I love driving and also like being a passenger well thats was until i was a passenger in smudgers RV ever sins then iv been a nerves wreck:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Whats up Martin - didnt you like the suicide seat then,:Blush: bet you practiced breathing in extra hard on occasions:whatthe: as you tried to make the rv shrink to get through the gap not mention closing your eyes or putting your hands over them :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I enjoy driving, good job really or we wouldnt go anywhere. I certainly couldnt drive any distance as a passenger with Bill he like Chris gets too wound up by little things

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
:Smile: love driving used to be a taxi driver great, lot's of fun would think nothing of doing 1000 mile's in a day. I just get a little p****ed of with the French habit of when two lane's go into one and I leave a propper braking distance some T***t has to force their way in at speed I have had a coulpe of near misses :Eeek:

French Habit??:Eeek: Were you a taxi driver in Paris, CH?

I agree it's an everyday occurrence on UK roads, especially on the motorways when there are roadworks with lane reductions... Some moron always has to force their way in without due care and consideration. :Doh:

Never seen or heard of "road rage" when I lived in France...::bigsmile:

Even driving in the centre of Paris, could be chaotic at times but no "road Rage"...:thumb:

..and I love driving anything, but am especially happy when on the motorbike or in the M/H.
Totally different driving experiences but I really enjoy both......:thumb:

Shame about fuel prices though, it does spoil the fun....:cry:

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
I love driving. I drive a truck all day and mostly enjoy it, dont get me on about German cars and their drivers:Angry:, I love driving the Lesharo, only problem is I keep forgetting it is lefthand drive and get in the wrong door:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, once under way I love, found it strange being so close to the gutter at first though.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I used to be quite aggressive like Chris until the kids came along. Now I try to be calm but my mask sometimes slips.:Blush:

I have had quite a few quick cars and used to enjoy driving them and getting involved in races with like minded idiots.

Came close to losing my licence but not had a ticket now since 2007 so I have a clean licence:thumb:

Absolutely hate traffic jams though. They make me very grumpy:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back