Free Member
Feb 5, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Private HGV
Exp
4 years
I have an Autotrail Arapaho which is classed as Private HGV and rated at 4.5 Tonnes. I have just learnt that when I renew my driving license in October this year (I shall be 70) I will loose the right to drive class C1 vehicles. In order to retain this status I must undergo a medical and complete a D4 form.
My question is: How long is this D4 valid for, yearly, 10 years?
Thank you for your help.

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry I cant answer your question being a young whippersnapper with 12 years of C1e entitlement to go but I do know not to leave it til October.

It can take many months for DVSA to make a decision and even then it may mean more medicals etc

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hi @Roxie&Dudley , your C1 lasts 3 years then you have another medical.
Be prepared for them to go into EVERYTHING again and as @pappajohn says, give yourself - and DVLA - plenty of time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Try doctors for drivers. They are national and much cheaper than your own GP. I used them for my last HGV medical. Very easy to get an appointment. They filled the relevant parts of the form in and will do the eyesight test as well. All done, in and out job done in about 15 mins.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try doctors for drivers. They are national and much cheaper than your own GP. I used them for my last HGV medical. Very easy to get an appointment. They filled the relevant parts of the form in and will do the eyesight test as well. All done, in and out job done in about 15 mins.

http://www.driversmedicals.com

Broken Link Removed

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Hi @Roxie&Dudley , your C1 lasts 3 years then you have another medical.
Be prepared for them to go into EVERYTHING again and as @pappajohn says, give yourself - and DVLA - plenty of time.
They have probably got a government target given to them to get older drivers OFF the roads, It might well soon apply to ALL driving licences for all groups. I am having to consider what I buy to avoid the issue. You might well get everything ok'd by the doctor and they start wanting other tests and checks done even though all seems OK. If you pass the doctor DVLC might well insist that you have an exercise ECG anyway, I do not know what happens on you birthday to change what you do or act, but it obviously your use by date, having gone past you best before , and sell by date on your 65th.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Mine has been with them since October last year. Only last week did they write to my Dr fo more information. Licence expired in November but can carry on driving without one 'they say'.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've been fighting them since July '15. Good luck. (y)

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Quite how you prove you entitlement to drive if you are required to produce your driving licence has not been conveyed to me. I have just carried on as normal including trip though France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany. I do have a copy of my old licence and the now defunct second part which you do not need to return.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I know they are strict on the eye test.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My renewal took 9 months and finally lost my C1+E .
The problem with the whole issue is the uncooperative faceless beings employed by us at DVLA who it appears do not want to help.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Deleted User
I have had seven medicals and subsequent renewals of my LGV licence since I was 45 and never had a problem with DVLA.

Is it the case that people who have struggled for a renewal have some prior health problems or problems that have shown up on the medical, I believe that is the purpose of the medical.

In recent years the eye test requirements have become more stringent and not all doctors can now perform the eye tests.

If a medical shows up a problem and the person concerned appeals then is it not right that DVLA properly investigate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back