Driving license renewal at 70 (1 Viewer)

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
My husband will be 70 in June. Our MH is a Bolero at 2935 kg. Presumably renewal of his license will just be a formality? Will he need any input from our GP? And how long does it normally take to be renewed. I'm guessing he'll hear from the DVLA pretty soon.
Another question: we're thinking quite seriously in investing in a toad next year. Does that mean he'll need to apply to renew his C1 and go down the D4 form route?
And finally: I'm just a child at 64 so license renewal isn't relevant yet. However, my license is an old pink one, just about holding together. with A & E entitlement. If we go for the toad, will I need to jack the old license in favour of a horrible modern ID type one?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
He'll need a medical to retain the C1E (i assume he has C1E, if not no toad)....then at regular intervals thereafter.
Your GP could do it but it can be expensive depending on your surgeries policy.
I ask mine in respect of an HGV licence.....over £400.
Never bothered in the end as I doubt I would pass.
At renewal, change of name/address or to add categories to an old style licence you must submit the paper licence....and get a nice plastic one in return.
Providing you already have trailer and HGV entitlement you don't need to renew until your licence expires at 70.

Sorry, misread as 3935kg.
Your car licence covers it.

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our MH is a Bolero at 2935 kg.

Pardon me for querying the weight, but are you sure about that? We've got a Bolero, albeit a different model, which was (we've had to uprate it) 3500 kg MAUW. The figure you quote sounds more like the unladen weight - you can check it on your V5 and also there will be a plate with the approved weights just inside the drivers door. I suspect it will be 3500kg - but actually that won't affect your original enquiry as 3500 is the cut-off point before you need C1.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't want you going through life with incorrect info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If mhome gvw is 3500 kg and your husband does not need to keep his C1+E for up to 7500 kg , then renewal can be done on line , assuming he has no medical issues to declare.
Assuming he has group B+E he will be able to tow a toad within the limits of the gross train weight of the mhome.

OP
OP
Millie's Mum and Dad

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
Pardon me for querying the weight, but are you sure about that? We've got a Bolero, albeit a different model, which was (we've had to uprate it) 3500 kg MAUW. The figure you quote sounds more like the unladen weight - you can check it on your V5 and also there will be a plate with the approved weights just inside the drivers door. I suspect it will be 3500kg - but actually that won't affect your original enquiry as 3500 is the cut-off point before you need C1.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I wouldn't want you going through life with incorrect info.

Thanks for pointing that out. You're right of course. I was looking at the wrong number. But as you say, below the cutoff weight.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
He should receive a renewal letter giving his options and details about renewal. If he decides to give up C1 entitlement he can apply online. My new licence took two days to arrive. I was expecting weeks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
The letter arrives automatically, when you return it your new licence runs for three years from the date they process it, not your birthday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back