Driving License code for towing a toad (1 Viewer)

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
I'm sure this has been answered many times before, but I've just been getting driving license share codes ready for our trip to France on Thursday when we might decide to hire a car, and looking at the different codes on our licenses. We're considering investing in a toad on an A frame next year and I'm just wondering what license code we would need. Our MH is under 3500t so my husband (70 next week) is still OK to drive that. It looks like B+E covers towing, in which case he would be OK for that too. Have I read the info correctly?

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I KNOW that A frame are illegal in Spain and I believe they are also illegal in france except for vehicle recovery

you would be better with a small trailer would need a lot less modification to the car

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
The thread is titled......for towing a toad:D
Is that legal ::bigsmile:
Or is it a clever play on words regarding tuggers :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
......and dragging it back kicking and screaming on to topic .......

Plus also to actually answer the question rather than go off on yet another A Frame discussion.....

Licences issued from 1 January 1997
If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.

You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

Licences issued before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg MAM. View your driving licence information to check.
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Towing heavier combinations
Follow these steps if you want to tow heavier combinations.

1. Apply for provisional licence for a medium-sized lorry and trailer (category C1+E).

2. Pass the lorry theory test.

3. Pass the C1+E driving test.
You need to take extra Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) tests if driving the medium-sized lorry is the main part of your job.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Do you automatically the keep the "+E" bit at 70 or does it revert to just basic B?

The legality of A frames has been covered many times - definitely illegal in Spain and Germany. France making moves to follow suit but haven't done quite yet although this article from 2014 makes interesting reading and seems to suggest they are already illegal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back