Driving Licences (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I still use my old paper licence, no mention of motorhomes, or heavy cars, anywhere on it.

Many years ago, I took my motorcycle test on a semi automatic Honda 70 with a top speed of about 46 mph (downhill). It entailed riding it around a "block" 4 or 5 times in a residential area with an examiner standing on one corner watching. At the end I was licensed to ride motorbikes. Any motorbikes. Kwacker 1300 with clutch and 6 gears, top speed 130 mph? No problem.
Er, well, actually - helloooo - I didn't even know how to use a clutch. :ROFLMAO: (Got myself a 125 and practised.)

Look at what I would have to do now to get the same licence.

The point is, they are continually looking at licensing and tests and revising things on a basis of sorting out the most dangerous things first.

Based on the numbers of large RVs involved in KSI accidents, they probably don't see it as an urgent priority.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
What I would like to see is a licence introduced for large motor homes ie, over 3.5t with proper training in your own vehicle and with a test conducted in your own vehicle.. that is not possible at present ..
Couldn't agree more.

Many adverts selling used RV's or large mh's seem to delight in stating, 'can be driven on car licence', and i often wonder to myself just how can it be possible for somebody more used to driving around in a mini or small car to jump into 40ft of rv and drive on the road.

I find it odd that there are courses available, albeit voluntary, for tuggers.....but it seems absolutely nothing for potential drivers of large mh's/rv's.

I'm not even sure what the actual limit is on a standard car licence. Whilst i don't think an a different licence would neccessarily help, i certainly think driving courses should be made compulsory in order to assess a drivers ability..

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Traffic Examiners

As an HGV Driver and Mechanic I would agree that Traffic Examiners do have powers that reach much further than MOT testing all should be aware they do possibly more to keep our roads safe than the police by removing dangerous vehicles AND their drivers from our roads>
A little known fact is they are well within their rights to require any vehicle to be made available for inspection at the roadside or require you to follow them to a suitable place for inspection this includes cars vans and motorhomes of any size

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Licensing rules not fair on diabetics.

If your get hit by a ten ton RV or an 8.25 ton RV (towing toad) will there be much difference.

Most RV driver tend to drive gently for fuel efficiency and generally not in any hurry, most lorry drivers are under pressure to meet time limits or tachograph regulations albeit great drivers in general.

Polish lorry drivers seem to get HGV licences easily but can and do drive 44 ton lorries on our roads.

I am still OK as on tablets and stable but I live in fear of having to be transferred onto insulin:Angry:

I often see caravans that have turned over due to bad driving but that's OK, not seen any toads overturned:winky:

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Couldn't agree more.

I find it odd that there are courses available, albeit voluntary, for tuggers.....but it seems absolutely nothing for potential drivers of large mh's/rv's.

C & C C do courses for motorhomers as well as tuggers. Caravan Club may do as well - not sure on that as not a member.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Couldn't agree more.

C & C C do courses for motorhomers as well as tuggers. Caravan Club may do as well - not sure on that as not a member.
To be honest i personally feel those best suited to driving large RV's are people either with HGV class 1 experience, or coach drivers. Lets face it, most rv's are generally the size of coaches anyway! Not forgetting the 'toad' which most need in order to go sightseeing because the rv cant get down roads where the more humble 'eurobox' can!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
To be honest i personally feel those best suited to driving large RV's are people either with HGV class 1 experience, or coach drivers. Lets face it, most rv's are generally the size of coaches anyway! Not forgetting the 'toad' which most need in order to go sightseeing because the rv cant get down roads where the more humble 'eurobox' can!

Each to their own:winky::Smile:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Licence req;

Hi

Just a thought?. Check your licence, You may find (like me) that you have a D1+E entitlement. This is for "mini" coaches. Now check the Code(s) (01.101.119?) If so that would allow you to drive a "mini coach" PLUS trailer with a gross train of up to 12000kg.

As the average R-V has Passenger Seating, and "comfort" facilities, Just like most modern long distance coaches. It is therefore effectively a "coach" NOT an HGV (or PHGV) This is the catagory that R-V's SHOULD be under.

How about a concerted campaign to have ALL our R-V's re-classified as "mini buses"?

Its a simple change, and would "solve" the foregoing "problem" "at a stroke" to quote whichever aged Prime Minister (Harold Mc or W?) it was back it the 60's used that phrase!!.

p.s. I have used this before to ilustrate the lunacy of the UK licencing. Because It allows someone to load a minibus WITH KIDS add several tons of camping kit/trailer with canoes etc; and drive it!! without any special training!!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back