Driving licences post 2012 (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi don't know if this has been mentioned but from 2012 all granfather rights licences will revert to 3.5 tonnes, unless you have passed a full HGV medical.

From outandabout:
The inplementation of the new rules is to happen in January 2012. There are various changes to current rules (some simplification to and extension of the trailer rules, for example), but the key one is that, to retain C1, C1E, D1, D1E, then you will have to pass the same test as HGV drivers. This is exactly the same as is currently the case for those reaching 70 - it justs extends it lower down the age band. And the test has to be repeated at 5 year intervals.

It is not yet clear how it will be implemented, but presumably, to avoid a rush to the Doctor's, it will be phased in. It will apply right across the EU. If you want a copy of the EU Directive, let me know and I'll dig out the reference. A body under the auspices of the CCPR is already lobbying (as it did over the original EU Directive) with the DforT over implementation and includes the Caravan Club, Caravan Council, RYA and the main body for 'horse' people (sorry - can't remember the name) as all are affected by these changes.

However, all that can now be done is to influence implementation details. This is already EU Law and must be implemented in Member Countrys' Law by 2012.

Olley

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Olley, when you say "test" do you mean "medical examination" or driving test?

Your post reads like my C licence will be taken from me in 2012 because I got it via Grandfather rights. That cant be right, can it?

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi jim you can only get a C1 with grandfather rights, not a C, you got a C because you passed a test in the Army.

From 2012 anybody wishing to retain there rights to a C1 will need to take a full HGV medical. this is apparently European law and must be implemented.

Sorry I could have worded my first post better. Have now changed it.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OK, I see now, the C1 is the licence for those >3.5 and <7.5 T

It seems that it will hit a lot of drivers, all those tag axles especially and as you say, all those horsey types that slow us up on a weekend.:Smile:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi Jim while I agree about eu bulls**te, I think the medical is a good idea.

Olley

Keith and Debs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
In Our RV
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
3 Years
hi All

Sorry for being a bit dim but i dont fully understand what is meant by "grandfather rights"

I have had C1 on my licence ever since i passed my driving test in the 80's..... Will this affect me ????

Ta

Keith...

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Of course, if a motorhome remains (as I believe) in the heavy motorcar class, then it will have no bearing (as I believe it does, being as it cannot be classed as an HGV....) No further discussion of this point is needed here as it is dealt with elsewhere....

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
hi All

Sorry for being a bit dim but i dont fully understand what is meant by "grandfather rights"

I have had C1 on my licence ever since i passed my driving test in the 80's..... Will this affect me ????

Ta

Keith...

To answer your question Keith, yes, it will affect you (and me and God knows how many million others :RollEyes: ).

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi anybody who passed their car test before Jan 1997 can drive up to 7.5 tonnes, this is known as "Grandfather Rights". Pass your test after that and its 3.5tonnes.

At the moment to retain these rights you wouldn't need to bother about a medical untill your 70, but from 2012 you will need to have one every 5 years, the same as any HGV driver. After 70 its every year I believe.

Olley

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
we were in our doctors last week and a guy paid £85 for a HGV medical, is this the price? or did it include a back hander? Who is going to pocket this money???
Nigel & Pamala

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I think you will find that this money goes directly into the doctors pocket. My mate keeps his HGV alive by taking medicals when required. It is classified as a private consultation, He usually pays £50, as there is no set charge doctors can charge whatever they like.

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Medical

Well, I am ok jack as the saying goes as I have a LGV1 (all classes):ROFLMAO:
Regarding the medical price, it varies according to your Doctor as he sets the fee. At my Doctors it is £125 so I go to another Doctor for this medical.
To drive LGV a medical is required every 5 years (on renewal) after you reach the age of 45 and after 65 years of age I believe it is yearly:Eeek:
I still believe that everyone that drives a large RV should hold a LGV licence as proof of competency!:ROFLMAO:

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
The last time i had a medical for my H.G.V. renewal it cost me £80.That was three years ago,bet the Medical profession are rubbing their hands together. :Angry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I still believe that everyone that drives a large RV should hold a LGV licence as proof of competency!
Whilst I agree with the sentiments of this statement, Iv'e seen a few, no many LGV drivers who have passed the test and should have the licence revoked
I am contemplating taking the test very soon and am practising the theory test and hazard perception tests and have come to the conclusion already, these test have little to do with ability to drive, they are little more than a script learning exersise:whatthe:
Geo

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Am I to understand a Romanian licence for instance is equal to a UK one?

Corruption in these countries is rife.

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Good and Bad (and even ugly)

Geo, there are good and bad in all walks of life and every profession!:winky:
I just think that it shows that at the time that the test was taken, that it proved at that time that the person was competent!:thumb:
Today, I ,in my LGV with trailer was filtering onto a main dual carriageway behind a 4 wheel drive. The main road was running at about 50mph and I would have had no problem building my speed up to 50mph, BUT the idiot in front of my truck, kept my speed down to 25 mph and he pulled straight out at that speed!!:Angry:
What a prat!!!!:roflmto::Angry:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Apart from me trying to green lane at wales meet:Doh::Blush:not seen any bad RV drivers yet funnily enough.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My medical was free. Sent my licence off along with the medical and got the new licence back in 3 days. Is this a record?:Smile:

Back to the issue, I think that most competent drivers could go from a 3 or 4 ton motorhome to a 9 ton motorhome easy. Safe driving rarely has anything to do with what you are driving, yes you need to get used to the vehicle, but driving a flatbed truck won't prepare you for a 100inch wide RV and is overkill for a 3.8 ton Autotrail Apache.

I have taught Defensive driving for years and IMHO 99.9 percent of safe driving is all about awareness, It doesn't matter what you are driving or what tests you have done, if you drive on auto-pilot you are putting yourself and others in danger, if you are pro-active and remain aware throughout you will be safe.

Most people who are physically not able to drive because of a medical condition or who are average or below average drivers will not mix up their capabilities with their limitations and wouldn't dream of jumping from a car into a 10 ton vehicle, but there are plenty of idiots that would. So this means that we need to ensure tests and medicals for all.:Sad:

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Test for all

Jim, Flatbed truck!!! What are those???:ROFLMAO:
Not many left now and most young LGV drivers would not have a clue how to rope & sheet:ROFLMAO:
Some people are natural drivers and have a feel, but some are completely useless and could not judge the width of a wheelbarrow never mind a large vehicle.:cry:
We have to make allowances for these people and take command of the road by showing our intention, but put them behind the wheel of something big? I think not and that is where a test for all would be good for all:thumb:

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
For peterandbetty

Geo, there are good and bad in all walks of life and every profession!:winky:
I just think that it shows that at the time that the test was taken, that it proved at that time that the person was competent!:thumb:
Today, I ,in my LGV with trailer was filtering onto a main dual carriageway behind a 4 wheel drive. The main road was running at about 50mph and I would have had no problem building my speed up to 50mph, BUT the idiot in front of my truck, kept my speed down to 25 mph and he pulled straight out at that speed!!:Angry:
What a prat!!!!:roflmto::Angry:

Hi Betty, the slip road that I have refered to will be well known to you.
It is the very long one from Mier roundabout towards Uttoxeter or Blyth Bridge.
As you know, it would have been no trouble to build up speed and filter out at the correct speed:thumb:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
For anybody who has to have an LGV or PCV Medical, go to your local Transport Cafe, they normally have cards for Doctors doing medicals at cheap rates. My last in Derby cost £25, and he apologised that it was going to go up to £30 this year.::bigsmile:

Harley Dave

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Overton, Hants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
<1
I'm sure there's a joke somewhere here about transport cafe food and HGV medicals but it's the end of another busy working day and my brain hurts

BJ

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
Funster No
I totally agree with this legislation. I've been an HGV1 driver for the past 25 years, although i've recently had to retire.
Anyone driving a vehicle between 3.5 ton & 7.5 ton on an ordinary driving license, should have to prove that they dont have any physical problems which could affect their driving.
The carnage that can be caused in an accident by a large vehicle up to 7.5 tons, can be immense.

peterandbetty

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
North Staffs
Funster No
Exp
Hi Betty, the slip road that I have refered to will be well known to you.
It is the very long one from Mier roundabout towards Uttoxeter or Blyth Bridge.
As you know, it would have been no trouble to build up speed and filter out at the correct speed:thumb:

Hi Graham yes i know where you mean and it happens quiet often there and they are pratts they can see a heavy vehicle and dont try and get out of the way .

Betty

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I totally agree with this legislation. I've been an HGV1 driver for the past 25 years, although i've recently had to retire.
Anyone driving a vehicle between 3.5 ton & 7.5 ton on an ordinary driving license, should have to prove that they dont have any physical problems which could affect their driving.
The carnage that can be caused in an accident by a large vehicle up to 7.5 tons, can be immense.

So can a vehicle below 3.5 tons.

Some people have illnesses that don't effect the driving ability at all yet have restriction on their licences:winky:

I am diabetic so checked yearly otherwise restricted.

We have lorries on our roads from all over the world and their driving standards that can be very poor.

Last edited:

BJ

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
Funster No
Whats the big deal with having a medical every 5 years. Us truckers have been doing it when we get to the age of 45.
People will invariably refuse to accept how their illness, disability, or failing eyesight can affect their driving, so they should be forced, by law, to take a medical, especially when they are driving large heavy vehicles.
Anything that can make the roads safer cannot be argued with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back