driving licence group B camping car (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
pappa , its not for heavy cars. its for light normal cars. a motor car if not used to carry goods as an unladen weigh tnot exceeding 2540kg. aheavy motor car is a vehicle constructed to carry goods or passengers with an un laden weight over 2540kg. as defined in definitions of vehicles in the construction and use of vehicles. as given in the road traffic act 1988.
cheers alan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Alan,

i bow to your superior knowledge......:ROFLMAO:

so if i had a B licence i couldnt drive this then

03h2_1.jpg
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2003/01/17/articles/ly/images/03h2_1.jpg

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Curb weight[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]2909 kg (6400 lb.)[/FONT]

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes you can . it does depend on its gross weight 3.500kg max. no more than 8 seats excluding the driver.you are mixing driving licence req. and definition of a vehicle when you said about heavy cars. 2 different items that cross over each other. can be difficult to follow each one. i will have to train to be a lawyer at this rate.both heavy and light can be driven on a b licence. thats what i was meaning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
:Angry: S.....t it is the same thing than in France :Angry:
Our friends German can drive the MH with more weight :Angry: Why we can not do it :Angry::Angry::Angry:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
for some reasonfrance and some other countries never gave the same category of licence. i know germany changed the same time as us. for new drivers to be the same as old french licence. rules drive us round the bend.

OP
OP
L

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
does anybody know the answer to my original question???
it is actually pretty obvious now that the answer is no ....or it is a VERY well kept secret

as far as I know every country has changed to the 3,500 Kg licence , just at different times and in different ways ; the french changed as stated , in fact took away the grandfather rights , now partially reinstated; the germans left these rights intact and , I am told, they don't expire , and there is a big row about taking them away at , say , 70 as we do ; actually they are our best chance of get a more sensible basic licence of perhaps 4 tonnes [ I have been told they would like 4.5 tonnes], the auto industry there has more clout than ours and is pushing for change ...more power to their elbow because it makes sense for modern vehicles
netherlands licences expire at 75 currently ...I have a friend there with an alumalite who is nearing the age and will have to downsize ...I am not sure if he could apply for a heavier licence or whether it isn't allowed ; if you see him at the beach at la marina you can ask him yourself :Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi lebesset, your original question seems difficult to understand as you say b-camping cars over 3,500kg. we dont have that here. if i live to be 70 i would change to a b+e 5er i think i would still be able to drive that . but i must say i havent looked at a licence for over 70,s and cant verify it with the information i have . its on my list to ask dvla when i next talk to them. if new rules are in the pipeline i must say i have not heard anything. might be incapable of driving by ther time i get to 70 or dead so arent rushing to change just yet. cheers alan,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
pappa , its not for heavy cars. its for light normal cars. a motor car if not used to carry goods as an unladen weigh tnot exceeding 2540kg.

aheavy motor car is a vehicle constructed to carry goods or passengers with an un laden weight over 2540kg..

so a B is not for heavy cars....yet by your own definition a heavy car is one weighing more than 2540kg unladen and as the B licence allows 3500kg it must be for heavy motorcars.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
sorry pappa if i confused you . you can drive the hummer on a b licence as its gross weight is 2772kg.according to a web site i looked at, its kerb weight is 2246kg. the confusion is the rules use unladen weights and laden weights it does get confusing. c is heavy car. b can be either so long as laden wt not over 3.500kg.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry pappa if i confused you . you can drive the hummer on a b licence as its gross weight is 2772kg.according to a web site i looked at, its kerb weight is 2246kg. the confusion is the rules use unladen weights and laden weights it does get confusing. c is heavy car. b can be either so long as laden wt not over 3.500kg.

thats the new H2 Hummer....

the one above is a much older one and is 2909kg kerb weight.

its all immaterial really as i have a C1=e and wont be going over 7500kg anyway.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the trouble is if you get an illness or reach 70 every thing changes. never mind we cant do much about it. cheers alan.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
pappa , its not for heavy cars. its for light normal cars. a motor car if not used to carry goods as an unladen weigh tnot exceeding 2540kg. aheavy motor car is a vehicle constructed to carry goods or passengers with an un laden weight over 2540kg. as defined in definitions of vehicles in the construction and use of vehicles. as given in the road traffic act 1988.
cheers alan.

Alan,
The main criteria seperating goods vehicles and other types is unladen weight. (not to be confused with kerbside weight.)
The weights you quote are spot on.
Defining a "heavy motor car" can be a bit of a minefield.
The easiest definition is "a bus".
This is the reason that motorway speed limts etc. for buses differ slightly to those for a comparable weight HGV.
An HGV as we call it is a "Large Goods Vehicle", whereas a bus falls into the "Heavy Motor Car" bracket.
This whole thread is getting a bit like ever decreasing circles......what was the original issue?
Cheers
JohnP

Deleted User
As far as I am aware many years ago all road transport legislation was based on unladen weight, over the years various pieces of legislation have been changed to Gross Vehicle Weight(GVW or what ever acronym is in use at the moment). At one time the speed limit in the outside lane of a motorway was 70mph for vehicles with an unladen weight of less than 3 tons, all taxation and licence requirements for this class of goods vehicle at the time were based on 7500kg GVW. This anomaly has now been rectified, it is a pity that all other relevent legislation is not brought into line. I will bow to anyone with a greater knowledge of this.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
like i say some things are based on unladen and some on the gross laden wt. i do have all the regs rules and definitions for the construction and use . it was part of my work. when i see you next pappa i may be able to let you have a transport managers book it contains just about all the regs n rules. it originally started about what weights a b licence holder could drive ,it apears we are different to france if they can drive leisure vehicles over 3.5ton.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi johnp.. just as a thought which books do you teach from. do you have a facility to croners? i tend to use david lowes book for transport managers or the freight transport ass. yearbooks.just interested as each one sometimes gives a slight slant. always good to know where we are coming from. cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back