Michael-D

Free Member
Aug 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I will reach 70 next April and my driving licence will expire. I believe that renewal depends on my health and state of mind. Are there any others who are of the same vintage who have had either a positive or negative outcome to this situation?
Who decides whether you are fit enough in mind and body, to continue driving? Is it just a note from your doctor or does one have to retake the driving test?

john kyte

Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
No,, you dont need a note from your doctor
No retest
You just fill in the renewal form yourself
So if you are walking and breathing you shouldnt have a problem

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
The answer to your questions needs some answers first.

Are you only needing your licence to cover you for a vehicle which is not over 3.5T then you can renew your licence online if you have a fairly recent passport or a picture licence. If so you can go on line and renew your licence which will have your passort or driving licence photo on it. You have to tick a box stating you are fit.

The new licence will not have the C1 and C1E catagories on it you currently have, if you passed your test before 1997, which give you cover for over 3.5T up to around 8T. It will have B and B+E on it which covers you up to 3.5T plus towing over 750KG up to the towing capacity of the vehicle you are driving.

If you need to retain your C1 and C1+E then you have to take a medical, usually your normal doctor, who will fill in the necessary medical form for you to submit with your licenece application . You can make your application up to 90 days before your old one expires.

You have to renew your licence every 3 years after with, if needed, a medical for over 3.5T

Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
If you are going to keep, or want to keep your C1of E entitlement to drive up to 7.5 ton or 8.25 combined with a trailer..

You will need a full medical from your doctor and an eye test from an independant eye optician if your doctor does not have the qualifications set down by the DVLA..

Get your forms in at least 2 - 3 months before your birthday, and recoeded delivery any thing you send and photo copy same.. (y)

Doug beat me to it..

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
The answer to your questions needs some answers first.

Are you only needing your licence to cover you for a vehicle which is not over 3.5T then you can renew your licence online if you have a fairly recent passport or a picture licence. If so you can go on line and renew your licence which will have your passort or driving licence photo on it. You have to tick a box stating you are fit.

The new licence will not have the C1 and C1E catagories on it you currently have, if you passed your test before 1997, which give you cover for over 3.5T up to around 8T. It will have B and B+E on it which covers you up to 3.5T plus towing over 750KG up to the towing capacity of the vehicle you are driving.

If you need to retain your C1 and C1+E then you have to take a medical, usually your normal doctor, who will fill in the necessary medical form for you to submit with your licenece application . You can make your application up to 90 days before your old one expires.

You have to renew your licence every 3 years after with, if needed, a medical for over 3.5T

Doug
A question comes to mind, if you reach 70 and your present vehicle is under 3.5 tonne from the above it seems that all you need to do is complete the form. Thereby losing the higher weight eating. If you then change vehicles to over 3.5 tonne, how difficult would it be to get the licence upgrade back? Just a medical or more?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
A question comes to mind, if you reach 70 and your present vehicle is under 3.5 tonne from the above it seems that all you need to do is complete the form. Thereby losing the higher weight eating. If you then change vehicles to over 3.5 tonne, how difficult would it be to get the licence upgrade back? Just a medical or more?

Retest... :(

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you wish to maintain your current licence status the forms you need are D2 which you order online from DVLA and D4 (medical Examination) which is down loadable from the DVLA website, this also includes eye test.
This is repeated every three years.

I have just completed mine and am awaiting the outcome, although renewal is not due until 2nd Nov, you can apply up to 90 days ahead.

Getting old can be a nuisance but the alternative is final :Eeek::wink:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I do not know how much your dr charges for medicals but on some of the hgv forums there are places that do the medical at better rates. Our dr wants £120 and tells you when he will do it , not at a time that suits you.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If you do not want to retain your C1 andC1e then just before your big 70 the DVLA will send you without asking a D46P form to fill in and no medical is required. If you want to drive over 3500Kg then it is previous posts

Incidentally an appointment at our doctors required a months notice and they charged a whacking £135 which is the most expensive I have heard of as yet

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
If you are over 70 and feel you would not pass a medical for C1+E then are you actually fit to drive? It is not that bad but does cost. I am happy to submit myself for medical every 3 years. 70, 73, 76, 79, 82, 85, 88, 91, 94, 97, 100 then I might think about taking easy at 103.

john kyte

Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
If you do not want to retain your C1 andC1e then just before your big 70 the DVLA will send you without asking a D46P form to fill in and no medical is required. If you want to drive over 3500Kg then it is previous posts

Incidentally an appointment at our doctors required a months notice and they charged a whacking £135 which is the most expensive I have heard of as yet

My doctor wanted £160 7 yrs ago thats why I cant drive over 3.5 ton now

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I do not know how much your dr charges for medicals but on some of the hgv forums there are places that do the medical at better rates. Our dr wants £120 and tells you when he will do it , not at a time that suits you.

£60 at our local HGV driving school. BUSBY:)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Retest... :(

No Mo, I have done it, no retest needed.
First time at 70 gave up my C1 because van 3500. Subsequently up rated van and asked DVLA if I could take medical and get C1 back. No problems sent me the forms, had medical and now have C1 back.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Sorry.... I stand to be corrected... :(

Ididn`t know that,,(y),,,, I was always led to believe if you let your C1 of E lapse or not renew you were considered a new driver... :rolleyes:

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
With regard to the above.

I shall become 70 in late March 2015. At that time I will be in Spain and unlikely to return until late April early May.
Does this mean I will need to complete the required forms before I leave in January and have to have the new licence with me?

Thanks

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes you must apply early . your licence runs out at 70 . you can apply early for it .

you can apply two months early for a new licence .
get on the ball before you leave .

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Think you can apply up to 90 days in advance. The DVLA don't tend to send you the forms until about 2 months before your current one expires. If you do not need to retain the C1 and C1E categories and can manage with up to 3.5 T and unlimited towing weight (B and B+E) you can apply online.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
My birthday is in April so had to apply early before we left for our winter away. So my license now expires 9th December 2016 and I will receive the renewal papers in October giving me time to have medical & renew each time it comes up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back