Driving an automatic motorhome after a left hip replacement (1 Viewer)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
3 weeks on (almost)

Pleased to say a massive improvement at about 12 days. It coincided with removing the wound dressing but not sure that was relevant.

Woke up and felt 'different'. More agile, less discomfort and walking improved dramatically.

Now walking 4 - 6 km a day, physio provided more intense exercises and can even walk down stairs like a normal person šŸ˜‚. Mind you not quite there with going upstairs but getting stronger daily.

Best of all its relatively comfortable to sleep on either side rather than restricted to lying on my back. Bliss!

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Bustup15 i now have a marked leg as well. I quick update for anyone who is interested. Had my COVID test on Saturday and went into hospital yesterday morning. Had the Op 11:3am to 1:00pm. Just had the Spinal freeze so got the anaesthetist to give me a running commentary (as they couldnā€™t/wouldnā€™t let me watch). Some earth moving moments literally - chopping the head of the femur off and hammering the replacement spike into the middle of the bone caused the table to shake, but generally pretty boring.
My low pulse caused a few problems - monitors suggesting I was having heart problems and blood pressure monitors giving error messages. After 10 minutes in the post Op recovery room I was back on the ward. I donā€™t generally take pain killers so, after my polite refusal to take two paracetamol when I had no reason to, they hid pain killers in a cocktail of pills they insisted I took.
My legs came back to life two hours after the Op so they let me walk around the room with a Zimmer frame. This morning after a few minutes of observation by the physio they let me walk with one crutch. 1 Km later and I was still bored.
Whilst stifling in 25 plus degrees I left the door open and felt like Harry Potterā€™s long lost brother or an episode of Friends. As nurses approached to take tests or give me medication they identified me as ā€œthe one with 37bhpā€.
As part of the discharge process they ask what level of pain is being experienced on a scale of 1 to 10. Mine was, and still is zero. I hope I am just lucky (or insensitive) but may wake up tomorrow in agony.

Some helpful hints; they donā€™t provide soap or shampoo but took pity on me and gave me some very nice Molton Brown. You may want to check if your phone can get a signal - mine couldnā€™t, although I was sometimes able to send texts. Donā€™t arrange the pick-up time until you are certain that what they tell you is accurate, and tell the person picking you up that emergencies or chaos might cause a delay. I was within minutes of escaping when my discharge nurse got a message to take a patient to the Operation Theatre - apparently this trumps discharging a patient. Take the minimum of clothing. I was told to take three days supply so took a large suitcase. They donā€™t care if you wear the same clothes each day as you will spend quite a long time in a hospital gown. They were going to give me a bed wash but I suggest that, if you can, you insist on a shower. The plaster is water proof and doesnā€™t come off easily. When you get home keep getting up and shuffling around. Staying in one place, especially sitting down, causes stiffness in the hip.
Good luck to anyone awaiting the Op, it is worth it.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Thanks for all the comments.
My wife has a small collapsible step as her Captainā€˜s seat keeps her feet off the ground otherwise. I will borrow this.
I had heard that driving after a left hip replacement is easier especially with an automatic - we have a Comformatic.
I lost 3 stone during the lock down but put some back on. I am now determined to lose more.
I was advised about the Oxford pain test before I saw the consultant and I reported very high scores. 8 to 9 out of 10 for most questions. Luckily (or unluckily) the X-ray showed no cartilage left above and below both the ball and the socket entrance So I didnā€˜t have to argue my case.
I read of an 80 year old (ā€the guruā€) on an electric bike forum who choose an epidural and to watch the operation via a mirror. I quite fancy this if I am given an option!

I heartily would not recommend it. There are some things you really donā€™t need on your mind during recovery. Iā€™ve cheerfully been to plenty of surgeries, including open heart surgery and the hip is second in the list of ones Iā€˜d really rather not know about! The surgeons used to hate doing them with awake patients, becaue they have to polite all through, but the anaesthetists sometimes like a hand with the crossword (I think they are more professional these days, but it used to be very common when I was training fifteen years ago)

You have to be really careful with a hip because its dependent on muscles to stop it dislocating. Once they cut them for the surgery, the new hip can dislocate more easily, and then they have to go in again and put it back. Nobody needs that! So all the advice about not bending your hip more than 90 degrees, not crossing your legs, not rotating your body on your hips is to prevent your weakened hip dislocating. I donā€™t know if youā€™ll feel up to a walking holiday, but recover is highly variable, so maybe.

Definitely shed the weight now if you can, and do the pre op exercises. The more muscle you can build now, the more resilient your hip will be, and the less weight going through it the better. Even a few pounds make a difference. Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Wellington My surgeon did not cut any muscles. He said they now move them out of the way. The main reason I wanted to watch was that I was genuinely interested in the procedure. The reason I did not have a sedative or general anaesthetic was that I was advised that I would recover much more quickly. This was borne out by the two very groggy patients who were in recovery with me. You are correct about the anaesthetist- he wanted me to chat so that he could monitor my meds. A very interesting guy - I hope I did not bore him too much!

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Technically, they cut the capsule, but thatā€™s nerdy anatomy for you (and Iā€™ve been out of the field a while, so they might be doing all sorts of different things nowadays. It seems dislocation is still an issue, though)

The hammering is rather dramatic. And the sawing. And, well, you get the idea. Most people really find it makes a huge difference though. You sound as though you are recovering well.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
On a tangent, back when I was working, I did some work with a small local business that design and manufacture replacement joints. Very very interesting to see the CAD drawings, the prototypes and manufacturing processes. They are even developing replacement long bones and joints for rebuilding accident patients and those with bone cancer. It really is fascinating

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
TheBig1 I found it strange that 3D printers arenā€™t used, and that the surgery seems primitive. Not that I am complaining as it will change my life.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
TheBig1 I found it strange that 3D printers arenā€™t used, and that the surgery seems primitive. Not that I am complaining as it will change my life.

Surgery is primitive. Anyway, surgeons have it easy. Theyā€™re allowed to look inside. The rest of us have to work it out the long way round. šŸ˜‰. I wonder if 3D printed materials would be up to the job? Hips especially take such a pounding, getting something with the flex, durability and low friction of cartilage is quite a challenge. (I know nothing at all about 3D printing, though. Just more than anyone could reasonably expect to know about hips!)

I think you may be unusual!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The prototyping does include 3d printing now, because the metalworking part is very expensive and time consuming. They certainly don't use cheap inferior steel from China

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
The prototyping does include 3d printing now, because the metalworking part is very expensive and time consuming. They certainly don't use cheap inferior steel from China
My first hip replacement was finest French ceramic, because ' ... you are a young man, and we want it to last', according to the Consultant who had an 'apprentice' with him. the cost of the Parts was just in excess of Ā£1300 [2010].

Steve

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Update. Home on Wednesday late afternoon. No pain but stiffness in the left thigh.
Interestingly, Wellington point re: damaged muscles provided some amusement as I had/have no control over lateral movement above the knee. If I swing my left leg outwards it carries on swinging, and that is painful!
Pain started early Thursday morning and all my plans not to take painkillers proved the adage, no plan survives the first encounter, in my case with pain.
Thursday 3:45am 2 x Paracetamol, 8:10am same, 4pm same, 11:30 same.
Friday the big guns came out. 2 x Codeine Phosphate 12:20am, 7:45am same, 1:45pm same. The last lot appeared to do nothing so I had 2x Paracetamol at 3pm. Nothing since. I can now walk better with one crutch with little pain but have to get up often and move otherwise the pain grows.
To avoid blood clots I have to take 2 x aspirin each evening.
The only other thing that might be of interest is that I walked out of the hospital hardly limping but by Thursday morning I could hardly move my left leg. On Thursday morning I was able to carry out all the exercises but, if I had been kept in another day, I would not have been able to. So, if and when you have this operation, escape whilst you can!

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Update. Home on Wednesday late afternoon. No pain but stiffness in the left thigh.
Interestingly, Wellington point re: damaged muscles provided some amusement as I had/have no control over lateral movement above the knee. If I swing my left leg outwards it carries on swinging, and that is painful!
Pain started early Thursday morning and all my plans not to take painkillers proved the adage, no plan survives the first encounter, in my case with pain.
Thursday 3:45am 2 x Paracetamol, 8:10am same, 4pm same, 11:30 same.
Friday the big guns came out. 2 x Codeine Phosphate 12:20am, 7:45am same, 1:45pm same. The last lot appeared to do nothing so I had 2x Paracetamol at 3pm. Nothing since. I can now walk better with one crutch with little pain but have to get up often and move otherwise the pain grows.
To avoid blood clots I have to take 2 x aspirin each evening.
The only other thing that might be of interest is that I walked out of the hospital hardly limping but by Thursday morning I could hardly move my left leg. On Thursday morning I was able to carry out all the exercises but, if I had been kept in another day, I would not have been able to. So, if and when you have this operation, escape whilst you can!
Very similar to my procedure. I came to the conclusion that on leaving hospital I still had a fair amount of anaesthetic/painkiller swilling around the system that gradually wore off to be replaced by paracetamol and codeine.

Blood thinners - no injections? I had 10 days of self administered to the stomach šŸ˜³ followed by 28 days of aspirin.

I would from experience treat the lateral movement of the new joint very gingerly. Mine was extremely painful if flexed in the wrong direction for the first 10 days or so such as getting in and out of bed

Tread carefully and good luck it does improve!

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Bustup15 Re: the blood thinners. The doctor said the aspirins would take care of that. Re: care of the lateral movement of the leg I think I am still a child at heart, certainly immature. Every time I do it I canā€™t help laughing as my leg swings wildly to the left and most times hits my wife or furniture. The resulting pain quickly stops the amusement though.

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Bustup15 Re: the blood thinners. The doctor said the aspirins would take care of that. Re: care of the lateral movement of the leg I think I am still a child at heart, certainly immature. Every time I do it I canā€™t help laughing as my leg swings wildly to the left and most times hits my wife or furniture. The resulting pain quickly stops the amusement though.
You know that dislocation I mentioned? Thats how you do it. Don't swing your leg outwards! It's most likely that it's just the inflammation kicking in (this is a good thing. Inflammation = healing) and that's why its more painful, but I would get it checked out if I were you. It is usual for things to be more difficult at home, often simply because you are doing more, and because healing is a lot of work, but the difference in function sounds significant, and that can (sometimes) indicate problems like infection. I can see you are a very active and independent person, but health professionals are professionals for a reason.

On Thursday morning I was able to carry out all the exercises but, if I had been kept in another day, I would not have been able to. So, if and when you have this operation, escape whilst you can!
Oh, if you'd have stayed in, they'd have made you do them anyway. And had you up and down the stairs. And given you the "painkillers help because they allow you to do more and that helps you heal faster" lecture. Physios are.....insistent. Keep well.

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
@Wellinton thanks for the advice. After the first couple of times I made sure my wife was by the side of my leg so I couldnā€™t swing too far. Over the last few days the bruising is coming out and the pain is lessening. Throughout the post-op period I have found going up and down the ā€œeasiestā€ of the exercises - painful but possible. Staples out and physio this Friday so I will mention the leg swing, but by then I hope to have it under control.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
You know that dislocation I mentioned? Thats how you do it. Don't swing your leg outwards! It's most likely that it's just the inflammation kicking in (this is a good thing. Inflammation = healing) and that's why its more painful, but I would get it checked out if I were you. It is usual for things to be more difficult at home, often simply because you are doing more, and because healing is a lot of work, but the difference in function sounds significant, and that can (sometimes) indicate problems like infection. I can see you are a very active and independent person, but health professionals are professionals for a reason.

Oh, if you'd have stayed in, they'd have made you do them anyway. And had you up and down the stairs. And given you the "painkillers help because they allow you to do more and that helps you heal faster" lecture. Physios are.....insistent. Keep well.
Physioterrorists is the label to describe them at our local hospital!

Steve

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
@Wellinton thanks for the advice. After the first couple of times I made sure my wife was by the side of my leg so I couldnā€™t swing too far. Over the last few days the bruising is coming out and the pain is lessening. Throughout the post-op period I have found going up and down the ā€œeasiestā€ of the exercises - painful but possible. Staples out and physio this Friday so I will mention the leg swing, but by then I hope to have it under control.
Wait till the physio says 'these are too easy now šŸ˜³, now lie on your good side and raise the operated leg' šŸ˜±

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Well that sounds positive. Good luck on Friday.

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Day 10 post-op: Had physio appointment this morning, did exercises including "stork" standing on operated leg with heel in air behind and arms out (Karate Kid!), all good and signed off. Single crutch for walking outside but none when walking in the house. Nurse Lauren then took out my staples, no pain and no bandage! :giggle:

OP
OP
Conal
Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Bustup15 Thanks for your diary. Following on from your three week progress I was happy to walk outdoors for 20 minutes and then indoors for an hour today (weather drove me in) but didnā€™t clock up many Km - very slow around the furniture!šŸ˜

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
The new 9 speed flat auto box is amazing!

Jul 14, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin sp van
Exp
Since 1999
I am on the NHS consultantā€˜s list for a left hip replacement in the next few months. Has any one experience of driving after the operation? My thought are that will be easier and sooner as it is the left hip And as I am active (swimming, cycling an walking) should recover quickly.
Am I correct, and are there any hints to aid my recovery and pitfalls to avoid?
We have booked sites for August and hope to do a lot of walking. I am a little overweight but otherwise am a relatively fit 67 year old male.
I'm 64, had both hips replaced now. Both our moho, car & my motorbike are manuals no problems. You just need to wait 6 weeks after the op to drive to let healing take place & gain strength. Beats the pain pre surgery.
Good luck šŸ‘

Apr 23, 2010
Katikati, New Zealand
Funster No
11 weeks after left hip replacement I was on a plane from NZ to Blighty. No problems at all, and my no-sympathy-here daughter had me walking across ploughed fields a few days later. The only slight problem that I remember was driving my Delaware (Ducato with swivel captains seats) longish distances across Europe - I found that the bucket shape of the seat put pressure on the bright new joint and scar, so I needed to stop and walk around every hour or so to exercise it. That was 2017 and I now forget that it's there - well worthwhile having it done.

Jul 14, 2018
UK
Funster No
MH
1993 Swift Kon-Tiki
Exp
Ten years plus
first tip, get an extra step on a piece of string to get in the van without over straining your hip

second tip........ do the above

Both my hips are knackered and the left one, I have no joint left and the ball of the femur floats and is held by muscle alone. This in turn knackered my knee and I asked the physio and the doctor how I could stop the damage progressing. They both said that the suggest to any hip op patients with vans or who drive lorries to use extra steps. It works
do you have a photo of this? my wife struggles to get in to the van and it might help. thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back