Driveway Turntables (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Experienced the turntable “experience “ on an Isle of Wight ferry about 30 to 40 years ago.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Someone near us had one in their front garden. The house is typically narrow terraced house near what would have been the village centre. Narrow pavement and narrow road outside but very busy as near the crossroads of that one time village - now a suburb. This was a long time ago but the turntable only lasted anout 5 years and there is no sign of it now.
Was that the house in Downend Annie? I remember it well! I thought given the narrow garden, and the road they would have to reverse in or out of, it was a brilliant idea!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
It could be very useful when you have a small drive off a main road.

My Dad had a house which had a small drive which you would be unlikely to be able to turn round in - without hundreds of 3 point turns. He had to reverse on as too dangerous to reverse back onto a main road but pulling up just passed the drive to reverse back into the drive also felt really scary with the speed of some of the cars coming up from behind.

If I lived there now I would seriously look into a turntable

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I've seen one in London on an extremely busy road in London (double red lines). The driveway space in front of the house is just about big enough to take a car. Looks like a reasonable solution in the circumstances.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If that was the case they would have had a turning area in the building plans.
Plus... I have NEVER heard of planning only approved if entry and exit from property is forwards.
I can assure you that both exist.
I will believe it ONLY after seeing a planning application or any documentation insisting on it.
They do exist as has been shown, I've watched quite a few property programmes over the years and every now and then the council insist on one otherwise no drive is allowed. Before you ask no I am NOT going to trawl the internet to find the progs!

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
One of the older guys I worked with started on the pumps at a garage in town. You drove into the garage yard on to a turntable to fill up then the pump attendant turned the cars round to drive out.
It must have a slow process one car at a time. He said the worst cars were the Daimlers from the undertakers. There were heavy for a teenager to push on his own. Not helped when one had a coffin in the back.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I will believe it ONLY after seeing a planning application or any documentation insisting on it.
We were refused planning for a drive on the front of our house as the council insist it had to be drive on and drive off, (despite neighhours having an existing drives which you can’t do that) It’s 40mph limit A road. So we bought land to the rear and our drive is from a side road.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
More new cars are fitted with cross traffic and blind spot monitors to help with reversing out of a parking space safely.

On a tangent does anyone remember using the Shoe Lane car park in London? (Now demolished)

"An eleven storey mechanical car park in operation in Shoe Lane, London which holds 279 cars. They are driven into one of ten bays are parked automatically by means of two lifts."​

It was very advanced technology in the 1960s. Excellent.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
More new cars are fitted with cross traffic and blind spot monitors to help with reversing out of a parking space safely.

On a tangent does anyone remember using the Shoe Lane car park in London? (Now demolished)

"An eleven storey mechanical car park in operation in Shoe Lane, London which holds 279 cars. They are driven into one of ten bays are parked automatically by means of two lifts."​

It was very advanced technology in the 1960s. Excellent.
sorry mate wasn't born then :rofl:

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Had a turntable in my bike shed for the Blackbird made life easier.
From memory I think it cost about £350 and made out of 3/8” steel and bearings worked well.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
This might help
they guy in the picture says the roads have got busy over the last 38 years look at the 2nd picture I suppose everyone has a different perception of busy road :unsure:

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
If that was the case they would have had a turning area in the building plans.
Plus... I have NEVER heard of planning only approved if entry and exit from property is forwards.

It’s quite common these days for a turning area to be insisted on by planning when building new houses on an existing street (not so much on large new developments)

I have two plots at the moment and the planning includes a drive in and out forwards condition on both.

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
Coincidentally, just got back from a walk and a house on main road into Chester had a turntable on the drive. (Gates are normally closed so never seen before) obviously works for them as I wouldn’t want to reverse onto that road. Probably not fit a Moho tho!

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
If you are limited for space and and have a nice toy why not I would have no reservation if your car is worth a few hundred thousand 15k on a turntable is a small price to pay in my opinion,
Horses for courses.🙂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back