Oct 21, 2020
Durham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail EKS
Exp
Since 2020
Ok, this is something I have thought about for a while
I’m not sure what implications this will bring etc but..

I live near Durham in the NE and have space on my drive to accommodate about a 7m MoHo
(I keep my MoHo in storage locally)

I would be happy to occasionally let a forum member stay overnight on my drive if ‘in-transit’
I could provide water and somewhere to empty the cassette (toilet)
If electricity doesn’t go up too much more I could possibly provide EHU free

I’m not suggesting ’hosting’ the MoHo owner, just providing off-road parking for a night

If a few of us did this, it might catch on with a ‘free’ overnight network

Just think, We could become the new free ‘britstops’ (without the obligation to buy anything)

ok… stupid idea or have I got something here (or has it been tried before)?

Andy

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Yes I’ve thought about this .
We can also accommodate.
I just can’t see the neighbours being so happy about it .

OP
OP
Cobra
Oct 21, 2020
Durham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail EKS
Exp
Since 2020
I think it it was only on an occasional basis most of mine would be ok with it
(who is to say that they are not family visiting?)

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Good point and in theory great idea for the many members here.

But nice gestures have a habit of turning against you when problems arise.
Insurance...liability..complaints..neighbours. etc etc.

But yes.love your thinking

OP
OP
Cobra
Oct 21, 2020
Durham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail EKS
Exp
Since 2020
Good point and in theory great idea for the many members here.

But nice gestures have a habit of turning against you when problems arise.
Insurance...liability..complaints..neighbours. etc etc.

But yes.love your thinking

Of course no liability or recourse to insurance could be accepted by the ‘host’ but you wouldn’t get any if you parked on the street either
Only the host could know about neighbours but I’m not proposing every week, I’m proposing perhaps two or three times a year
I don’t think I would have problems with neighbours if it was only a couple of times a year.
Personally, my own MoHo stays on my drive the night before and the night after a trip

Andy

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Cobra Your idea has been quite popular in New Zealand for a number of years. The NZ Motor Caravan Association helps to publicise the POPs (Park Over Properties) through their website, but it's restricted to their members only.
I would suggest that you insist that visitors phone ahead to ensure you will be there and that they know what your restrictions are.
We had a POP for a couple of years and the biggest problem was vans that dripped oil onto the driveway. It also led to an increase in alcohol consumption as we were nearly always invited for "Happy Hour".

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Obviously one of the things here is that I’m proposing NO payment is received

I used to offer a bedroom via the Hospitality Club and Couch Surfing websites, not sure if they are still going. As soon as money exchanges hands there is an expectation to be met.

I have had a couple of different friends (yes I have more than one friend!) stay in their vans at different times and have offered the space to others. I would not do it on a 'regular' basis, and that control must be baked in. Also, I think there are better/nicer places to stay near me.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I love this way of thinking, it may be naïve in terms of legality, but the heart is in the right place if you get my drift.
We saw a few Funsters offer places to park on their drives with all facilities over the Covid lockdown periods, which was wonderful to see, I am proud of them being members of Fun.
We need more of this imaginative, selfless, helpful, offerings in this new world.
Notice I didnt mention "Christian" but that umbrella would have covered a lot of good actions on offer by anyone along this way of thinking, long may it continue.
LES

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
I think this is a great idea, one of the reasons I got my van was so we could visit friends, children/grandchildren (who all live a long way away) without them having to put us up. At two locations Yorkshire and Salford we have to park up in the road outside their houses and at my daughters house in Essex we manage to squeeze onto their front garden. There has never been a problem with any of their neighbours.

I wish we had the space to do this, I would happily have the occasional Funster visit our lovely town but there is only room for my own van.

Surely there is not much difference to having a neighbours work van parked up every day? There would have to be a 'no partying' 'no chairs out' rule!

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
You would have to sleep at the *deep end* on our driveway, its on a slope, but if any funster needs water or a waste dump when on the Fylde just pm me and if we are available more than welcome to refresh and use the facilities

OP
OP
Cobra
Oct 21, 2020
Durham
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail EKS
Exp
Since 2020
if any funster needs water or a waste dump when on the Fylde just pm me and if we are available more than welcome to refresh and use the facilities
This is something that could be accommodated a bit more often
It only takes a few minutes to empty the cassette and fill up the water tank so I can’t see my neighbours complaining if this happened a bit more often than overnight stays.

Yes, I agree there would need to be a few respectful ‘house rules’ to reduce neighbour impact when overnighting etc.
But I’m sure that this could be worked out fairly easily.

Andy

Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
Great idea even on the road next to house as as long as you’ve a safe place to stop for a night , or information where to stay for the night locally free with no hassle, I know a few spots in Winchcombe, Cotswolds where you wouldn’t be bothered and out the way, all this info is priceless.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I have done this for a friend of mine some years ago. He used to park his caravan on my drive. It was before I fenced off the garden so my dog could run all over the land. It didn't work out as all I asked of him was that he would let me know when he coming over so I could shut the dog in house and prevent any accidents with him running in front of his car/caravan as he was moving it. One day he came and left the gate open, I went crazy, end of that arrangement. I have always told my family if they ever buy a motorhome they can park it on my drive. I have also considered offering a free overnight stay for fellow funsters too as Carsington Water and Tissington Trail are close by but then someone pointed out to me about insurance etc.

Gina

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I live in the Charente in France (not far from the N10) and, on the face of it, I'd be happy to offer a short stop or an overnight stay. I can also offer water, electric and black water dumping (as long as there are no chemicals, as we have a septic tank). I'd have to specify quiet dogs only (on a lead) and no loud people. It's very quiet here and I want to keep it that way :) Perhaps we could get a database together and maybe even some kind of disclaimer for the visitor to sign (if we have any legal people who could say whether that would work or not).

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Database a good Idea. No chemicals either as a septic tank here too. I would love to do it. We can help each other. I agreed with my pal he could eventually park his caravan on the field, so he didn't have to inform me when he was going to collect it. There were sheep on the field and I thought it was cute that they used to sleep under his caravan at night for shelter but he was furious that they had chewed bits under his caravan , don't know what bits they chewed though ??!! He moved his caravan and stopped talking to me :giggle:

Gina

Jan 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis
A bit like the website parkonmydrive, which I've used several times for airports/earls court etc, but more of a stay over on my drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back