Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
So we are thinking on installing this type of system on our driveway which we will then be parking our 4 ton MotorHome on , we have not yet decided on which grid system manufacturer we would use yet , as there are loads of different similar systems out there made by different companies.
But in general does anyone here have experience in this type of driveway and parking vehicles on , pro's and con's ??
Here is a video of one such company that makes this grid lock driveway system.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Those systems are great but the most important thing is what's under them. Some are designed to go straight on loose earth/grass etc but most require a very solid base of hardcore. The ones I have seen had the solid base with soil in the honeycomb including grass seed and a very decent lawn was grown that allowed cars to park up on it as an overspill car park. Very effective and mowable when needed.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Personally I would excavate and lay compacted type one under the honeycomb but I'm a belt a braces type person :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I just threw in a few tonnes of type one then membrane and topped off with gravel, easier for draining. I did have a builder drop the kerb for me, essential in my opinion.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I just threw in a few tonnes of type one then membrane and topped off with gravel, easier for draining. I did have a builder drop the kerb for me, essential in my opinion.
Yip if i was gonna do this i was gonna use some type 1 below the membrane which would be compacted using a vibrator plate ( which is 32 kg in weight ) , this should be ok for a 4 Ton MH ??
If i was to do it using this system can anyone rec a make / brand of the grid to use??
BTW i would be topping this of with fine gravel about 8mm , The less grass we have to cut the better :D

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Fine gravel can get stuck in the tyre tread, I'd suggest 10mm as a minimum (y)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The first thing to establish is the existing surface geology at your location. This info should be available at your local library.

The surface geology can vary from fine silt to clay to free draining gravels to rock and many variations in between.

The underlying strength of the soil will determine the depth of Type 1 subbase material required to support your van. A geotextile fabric (such as Terram 1000) will generally only be required between the subgrade (existing soil) and Type 1 when the subgrade is silt or clay. The geotextile helps reduce the fines in the subgrade from pumping up into the Type 1 and turning it into a "mushy mess" (technical term !!!) with reduced load bearing capacity.

Might be worth contacting the Engineering/Building division of your local Council to see what they recommend as they should be knowledgeable as to best practice in your area.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I did have a builder drop the kerb for me, essential in my opinion.

Just remember that you will need consent from the local Highways Authority to install a dropped kerb to the highway. Ours requires the work to be done by them or by one of their authorised contractors, a scandalous oligopoly.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I got a quote from our local authority, £600+ as I recall, my builder offered the same work for £350. I got a road opening up consent as I was used to that from work.

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Hi

I had my driveway done just over a year ago and part was block paving, and part (as can be seen here, was a grid with granite chippings). Under the grid, it was excavated, levelled, a membrane laid, raised with type 1 and then compacted, the grid all interlocked and finally the granite chippings. I had advised them that I would be parking my van (3500Kg) on it so they put in the appropriate amount of type 1. We had originally thought about gravel, but was advised not to use less than 20mm unless you want all the local cats visiting :D. We also had some security posts fitted at the same time to back up the Growler and non-starter.

While they was doing the job, I was given 4 offcuts to put under the wheels when we were on grass, and when I said I was going to put a shed base down, they said for me to take enough of the grid for that - result.

For me, it is good as it breaks up a largish area so that it doesn't look like a car park in front of the house and the chippings drain well.

The only downsides I have found so far is a small number of stones get moved by the van when pulling off the chippings and need kicking back, and it needs a spraying of weed killer every now and again as weeds soon start growing. So not bad

Cheers

Trevor

20170302_120410313_iOS.jpg
20170530_153043165_iOS.jpg
20170530_153052567_iOS.jpg

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We used to have gravel drive like everyone in our village as we have gravel rights, but it's a pain getting stuck in shoes and being brought indoors. We got rid of the gravel, much better now.

Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Just remember that you will need consent from the local Highways Authority to install a dropped kerb to the highway. Ours requires the work to be done by them or by one of their authorised contractors, a scandalous oligopoly.
yip last time i also had to do this , but luckily our council ( at that time ) allowed anyone to do it , but they did inspect it before you got your deposit of a few hundred quid back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back