18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
If you fit a DIY socket, how will that stand with your house insurance?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
If the spark is going to come off an existing socket yes, that's all you can use but if you have a modern consumer unit with RCDs then you don't need an RCD socket. If anything trips it then it will more than likely take the house one out as well anyway.

If he's going to do a proper job and put in a dedicated 16A supply for it then a 16A blue socket, like the one in Techno's link would be preferable.
Better to have RCD protection on the socket for the extra tenner, with a bit of luck that will trip before the house RCD (unless the house RCD is 100mA in which it will trip first) meaning you won't have to reset anything connected on the house RCD plus belt and braces protection in case the house RCD is possibly faulty, how many people test it every 3 months

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
Not very well if they fail
But very well if they work. I do all the work on all our vehicles no matter what's wrong with them. If you went back a few years (1950s) everyone repaired everything, it's sad that now people can't wire a plug or bleed brakes.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What is wrong with plunging it in , in the house or garage, what needs to be water proof , the cable or the plug on the motorhome, it's no different than plugging a humidifier in , in the house surely.
Must be more waterproof than any socket outside, doesn't make any sense to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
But very well if they work. I do all the work on all our vehicles no matter what's wrong with them. If you went back a few years (1950s) everyone repaired everything, it's sad that now people can't wire a plug or bleed brakes.
A few years 1950s:eek:
Agreed, however me and you don't offer insurance for M/H and being the snakes they are am sure on a £50K+ M/H every chance they have they will look to not pay
You pays your money and you take your chances (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s a sad thing to say. But I farm very few jobs out to modern tradesmen. I have seen too many "bodgers" at work. And to give them job`s I can do better myself makes ME more unsettled than if I do it myself. Only those jobs I feel NOT competent to carry out OR where the equipment required is uneconomic to purchase and or hire, get handed on. (and warranty work!). In my working life I have worked with or on Gas(es), Chemicals, Water, High Pressure Steam, high and low voltage Electricity, Structural steel, and welding. Treat them with respect, know what you are dealing with and there is no issue. I was in the "inspection" industry, and watched as the "Rules" grew, and good practice and common sense disappeared. Now you have to have a "Risk Assessment" to use the Toilet!.

Pete

Last edited:

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
A few years 1950s:eek:
Agreed, however me and you don't offer insurance for M/H and being the snakes they are am sure on a £50K+ M/H every chance they have they will look to not pay
You pays your money and you take your chances (y)
How would they even know who repaired what on a motorhome

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
you would be better using a low powered heater than a dehumidifier as the air will then circulate and that will stop mildew. thats what a lot of boat owners use. there are also some solar powered vents which again if they can be fitted somewhere will keep the air moving and stop condensation.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We had an std waterproof outdoor socket fitted and use a 3 pin adpater to connect the bus to. We can then use the std socket for lawn mowers, hedge trimmers, etc as well.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
we use a couple of bar heaters like these, http://www.screwfix.com/p/dimplex-ecot1ft-thermostatic-tubular-heater-40w/3951F?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=GoogleLocal-_-Datafeed-_-Heating and Plumbing&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&gclid=CN6HoJTUoM8CFYYp0wodxJ4ISg along with an absorber dehumidifier ( overflow to sink drain) to dry out our race yacht which has often got soaking wet down below due to rain or wet sails and crew and it does a pretty good job if drying out the interior

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back