LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I've got an electrician coming round next week to look at fitting an external 240v socket so we can keep our new van plugged to the mains when we are not using it - plan to keep a dehumidifier running.

will an external 3 prong plug socket be OK or should I look at a specific coupling?

cheers

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you want to save money drill a hole through the wall and just thread lead through then reconnect the plug on and use it like an extension lead. Seal around wire with a bit of silicon. Just plug in to a socket in the house saves getting an electrician in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
If you want to save money drill a hole through the wall and just thread lead through then reconnect the plug on and use it like an extension lead. Seal around wire with a bit of silicon. Just plug in to a socket in the house saves getting an electrician in.
That's exactly what I have done. Bought a support bracket in ASDA, its meant for a hose pipe but supports the cable in a neat and tidy fashion.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
For the sake of a few quid get it done properly by a professional. Don't go down the bodge route and risk burning your house van or both down.:doh:
Got a proper campervan blue plug fitted on my drive wall brilliant park up plug in using the proper cable.
Simples(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh dear me ! Extremely bad advice.
Get a spark to do a safe job.
They will provide a proper waterproof 16a hook up socket.

With reference to the above post....how do you waterproof a 3 pin trailing socket ?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Get a proper externally rated IP 66/65 double socket fitted ÂŁ30 from screwfix and a 13a plug to commando socket (blue) adapter that way you can use the socket outlet for the lawn mower etc

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I've got an electrician coming round next week to look at fitting an external 240v socket so we can keep our new van plugged to the mains when we are not using it - plan to keep a dehumidifier running.

will an external 3 prong plug socket be OK or should I look at a specific coupling?

cheers

Get a proper externally rated IP 66/65 double socket fitted ÂŁ30 from screwfix and a 13a plug to commando socket (blue) adapter that way you can use the socket outlet for the lawn mower etc

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014

Exactly what I've got, works a treat. Mine was a freebie anyway - but if you've got an RCD on your consumer unit (not many old fuseboxes left) in the house then you should be able to fit a cheaper non-RCD version.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-nexus-13a-2g-dp-switched-socket/67928

A standard 13-amp socket on your driveway is useful for other things anyway, such as pressure washers or vacuum cleaners for doing the car, rather than fitting a 16amp campsite-type power outlet and messing about with adaptors.

I've got a hookup lead for the van that's got a standard 3 pin plug on one end for plugging the van in.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi there don't want to hi jack this thread but does a lot of Motorhome users keep dehumidifier running through the winter?
Best Wishes Tony
Can't see any point unless you block up EVERY air vent.
As you remove moisture from the internal air fresh moist air will enter via the vents.

Ventilation is the key to preventing mold, mildew and musty smells.
Remove any bedding and soft furnishings to the house.
Leave doors, wardrobe, bathroom etc, open in case they swell and jam in their openings

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

cheers
Whats your address ?? Free electric for me incoming :D :D

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Oh dear me ! Extremely bad advice.
Get a spark to do a safe job.
They will provide a proper waterproof 16a hook up socket.

With reference to the above post....how do you waterproof a 3 pin trailing socket ?
I used the fix to the wall caravan socket that you see in sites , the other end indoors is normal plug . The house has got the trips that go off if a light bulb blows so must be safe.

PeteS

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
35yrs
That's exactly what I have done. Bought a support bracket in ASDA, its meant for a hose pipe but supports the cable in a neat and tidy fashion.

Me to, very easy, safe and cheap. Use a 10 amp fuse and that and the RCD will keep you safe that's what they are designed to do.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
An external 16A socket is very useful to have on your house but I wouldn't bother with the dehumidifier. Motorhomes are very well ventilated so a dehumidifier inside would simply end up trying to dry the world out. A good idea is to park it so that the front end is higher, perhaps using levelling ramps if necessary then any rain will run off instead of pooling on the roof.

D.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Whats your address ?? Free electric for me incoming :D :D

Friends of ours fitted an outside socket to power a water feature. He got up early one morning and was having a ciggy at the back door when he thought he saw a rat running across his lawn, once his eyes focussed on it properly he realised it was an extension cable the neighbour was pulling back into his garden :eek:

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I had the sparky fit a proper external fitting that connects to a short lead that I cut down for the purpose to use while the van is on the drive. The other part of the lead I cut, I use as an extension or alternative when visiting other places if the main connecting lead is too short.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Friends of ours fitted an outside socket to power a water feature. He got up early one morning and was having a ciggy at the back door when he thought he saw a rat running across his lawn, once his eyes focussed on it properly he realised it was an extension cable the neighbour was pulling back into his garden :eek:
An advantage of the simple extension (EHU) lead through the wall with a 13Amp plug fitted on the inside of the house.
Mine in unplugged and left dangling hidden behind my favourite armchair when not in use so its safe and not dangerous at all. When in use the external blue 16Amp trailing socket is safely plugged in the MH, protected from the elements inside the electrical compartment.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I used the fix to the wall caravan socket that you see in sites , the other end indoors is normal plug . The house has got the trips that go off if a light bulb blows so must be safe.
Agreed, perfectly acceptable......
My apologies, I mistakenly thought you meant use a regular 3 pin trailing socket as in regular extension lead.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Agreed, perfectly acceptable......
My apologies, I mistakenly thought you meant use a regular 3 pin trailing socket as in regular extension lead.
I would not try doing proper electricity, but this is just to top the battery up or get the fridge cold before leaving. Nothing excessive needing lots of power.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
With a dehumidifier on through the winter, as others have suggested, it will be working overtime and probably need emptying every day unless you have a drain pipe to the outside of the van.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

If the spark is going to come off an existing socket yes, that's all you can use but if you have a modern consumer unit with RCDs then you don't need an RCD socket. If anything trips it then it will more than likely take the house one out as well anyway.

If he's going to do a proper job and put in a dedicated 16A supply for it then a 16A blue socket, like the one in Techno's link would be preferable.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I got a sparky (my brother) to fix a 16 amp blue connection out on the drive. This is powered from the garage via a switched fused spur so I can turn it off when away. This stops anyone using it when I am not at home. As someone else said, use a shortened lead on the drive and take the short lead with you as an extension if required.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My (sparky) brother in law fitted an outside socket, for use by the MH when it is there and also so we can plug in the lawn mower outside. To hook up, I just use a commando adapter.
Since we use the van all through winter, we've never really needed to set a dehumidifier going, but should we ever need to, the air con unit has a dehumidify function! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back