Driver-less Motorhomes - hypothetical question ?? (1 Viewer)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We have at least 3 trucks here on test without drivers starting this year.
The first one has a driver the second two dont.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It would be very odd setting your destination, then heading into the back and putting on the kettle while you sit back and watch the scenery go by.

It's already been done - it's called a 'train'.

You've just described the classic urban legend about the dim American RV driver who misunderstood the meaning of cruise control.

Let's deal with the important stuff first - self-emptying toilet cassettes.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Just remember that software has bugs even though some bugs become features!

Its not for but maybe in the future when I'm gone

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D&G

D&G

Free Member
Apr 9, 2015
Woolavington, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Swift Suntor
Exp
It's a great thought. Not a whole lot of satisfaction driving a MH though the best seat is at front.

I agree, it's the same with cars, I enjoy the experience on the whole, motorway driving gets me down a bit these days with the idiots although it doesn't seem so bad when I am sitting in the MH doing 60 going somewhere nice, i don't seem to care as much then, not sure why.

I also think there are too many variables at the moment, but I can see it coming one day.

But by the same token, who remembers all the predictions that we would all have our own aircraft/back pack or whatever and fly to work every day ??

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You could get it to move on overnight, while you sleep, to wake up at your next destination.

Reactions: D&G

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But by the same token, who remembers all the predictions that we would all have our own aircraft/back pack or whatever and fly to work every day ??

Haven't there been plenty of those !!

I remember ZETA. Not her, Zero Energy Thermonuclear A...... A controlled fusion machine. Electricity was going to be so cheap we would be given it. Yeh right.

Then there were the robots, doing our work while we stayed at home in luxury. Well they got that half right.

All these predictions failed to factor in GREED.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
As for computor controlled vehicles, it would be easier to pay a Polish Diver in the front one and couple everything on behind with A Frames and it would be just like an Australian Road train. Safer that way too except we all go to differing places.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would like to add a few points.

The computers controlling the vehicles won't be like traditional computers that follow a fix set of instructions. They are more like semi AI devices that can learn. That is what google are doing with their car.

The autonomous cars will initially I believe monitor the drivers attention and bast a warning if their attention wanders. Eyes on the road please.

Leave the drivers seat will not be possible, the vehicle will slow to a safe stop until you are back in the drivers seat and paying attention.

If you want to know what the software is like, it is more akin to IBM,s Deep Blue, which has beaten Grandmasters at chess, diagnosed illnesses and won at Jeopardy. Or like Googles AlphaGo which beat the Go Champion.

Even if your attention wanders while at the wheel it will still be safer than a human driver. The Lidar and other detection equipment will notice things long before a human will and take anticipatory action to prevent collisions. I can't remember the last time I saw a missing manhole cover.

As for a ball going into the street followed by a child. The most recent iteration of googles software tracks pedestrians long before they become a danger to themselves and can even track them when they go behind objects such as parked cars, bins, lamp posts etc etc.

Current google cars can spot cyclists and even monitors them for hand signals. It anticipates random manoeuvres such as if they are coming up to a junction it plans for the cyclist going in any direction and has a plan for each possibility.

They are much better than you would expect. Sometime during the last 10 years computing power vs power usage hit a cliff edge and we are now able to do things that just weren't possible within the processing power or electrical power available back then.

An awful lot of money and research time is now going into learning systems and the progress is remarkable.

Reactions: D&G
Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
We already have a driverless motorhome.

Well actually the wife does. The Motorhome takes her everywhere and she never drives it.

Wish I had one!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back