May 20, 2021
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi
I work full time as a care provider for Manchester City Council and provide accommodation for vulnerable adults in my own home.
I'm very interested in my first motor home experience. Been on my bucket list forever.
As I can't drive, I'm looking for a companion to accompany me and my two small dogs (chihuahuas) whether you be male or female, for a mini break of your choice. I've only recently joined and I'm looking to meet another motor home enthusiast. I will incur all costs.
I'm looking to purchase a second hand motor home. Any helpful hints, tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated... I've wild camped on the beaches of Jura for a week and other Western Isles....as well as climbing helvellyn/striding edge, completing the three peaks in the Yorkshire Dales, and wild camping in the Carling Valley, Howell Fells, Sedbergh...plus much more...but enough to prove I'm no novice to roughing it! I'm looking for a foolhardy driving companion...is this too much to ask for?
After a disappointing and much misunderstood start to Motorhomefun.......I'm hoping to recalibrate... chow for now..... Marilyn

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Interesting post, would you not be better to get your driving licence first before thinking about buying a motorhome ?
I think you are asking a lot to hitch a lift for yourself and dogs with a complete stranger and sleeping in a confined space with this stranger.
Are you planning to hire a vehicle for this trip or expecting your driver to provide this ?
I think you need to re-think your plans, get a driving license first then think about a motorhome, ask for advice on here and maybe get to know people.
Small steps, one at a time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Where does it say she has no licence?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Good luck with your quest. (y)
I know there are members of my family I would be it like to share a motorhome with !! Let alone a stranger plus trusting their driving.
If you do find a companion maybe just hire a van rather than buy one outright.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
ā€˜Bucket listā€™ Interesting, bucket is exactly what youā€™ll be expected to empty as part of your daily routine, not many secrets to be had in a Motorhome but good luck in your search, sounds like you have a sense of adventure, must be a Northern lass :giggle: (y)

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Is it possible in the longer term to get a driving licence?
At the risk of sounding either agist or sexiest the lady canā€™t drive and although she could learn to drive she may weā€™ll be a very unsure about jumping behind the wheel of a MH, your right in the long term she could overcome both these hurdles.

But maybe she prefers the idea of a companion to share life on the road with, not my idea of a fun trip, but hey who am I to judge?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Is this a windup? šŸ˜‡
No it's not the lady in has posted and been honest in her post, she wants to find out what motorhoming is all about, and as she can't yet drive seeing if there's a way around it. May be unconventional but if you don't ask you don't get.
I wish her luck.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I'd happily offer to take you away for a weekend Marilyn but I bloody hate chiwawas (glad no one picks up on the spelling on here) so if you can park them some where we might be cooking with gas

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I wish you the best of luck. Iā€™m sure youā€™ve given a lot of thought to your personal safely, and I genuinely hope you find someone who can help you.

One does get a lot of this on forums, Marylin. Posters very often tell you that you donā€™t want to do what you asked how to do, without fully appreciating your reasons. Some times itā€™s helpful, if you didnā€™t have all the information, and it is mostly well intentioned. Welcome.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Good luck with your quest. I do hope that you stick with it at MHFun. Your alternative arrangements or requirements donā€™t compute with some peeps who may resort to jibes. I am sure with your vocation that you have dealt with worse. Can only apologise for some personā€™s ignorance.

Have you considered renting a van for a weekend with a friend (who can drive) as a toe dipping session?

I generally travel as a family unit but when alone I personally donā€™t think that I could entertain having a stranger on board. Not for my own personal safety or possessions. Rather my personal space, I get p1ssy when the kids leave clutter let alone anyone else, and thereā€™s not a lot of chance of social distancing irrespective of a virus. I just like my own space even with family. Motor homes can be quite claustrophobic in the British summer, particularly the bathroom arrangement. I think that many on here will feel the same but I do hope that I am proved wrong.
So as much as I hope that you succeed with your quest for moho adventure, it is a no from me.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Stick with it Marilyn, although the biggest majority on here are dog lovers not everyone would want to share a motorhome with 2 little dogs.

I think youā€™ve had a lovely offer from Grummyb , perhaps a friend or dog kennels could look after the dogs for a few days.
Please do let us know how you get on. ;)(y)
PS: Your not too old to learn to drive, it will open up a whole new life for you.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
marilyn , I like youā€™re go ahead attitude & hope someone can help you , life is an adventure ,
@Grummybā€˜s offer sounds good , they may be others who would take the dogs as well , for me & I'm sure many others my MoHo is my bedroom & en-suite so sharing it with strangers or even friends would be awkward at best , Iā€™d love to see you getting & taking up an offer šŸ‘

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Impressed with your walking and wilding skills.

I think this could be the start of somthing good for you and your travel partner if you find one , get a bit of time under your belt with a funster, then look at getting your licence maybe so you can join Rallys and meet other like mindec folk. (unless medical reasons).

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Personally Mr Blo has summed it up for me, my van is my sanctuary I'm afraid. However, if you've like minded friends who can drive & you could club together to hire one it would be a really great experience, much easier than being in a confined space with a stranger. Believe me, it can be hard even with someone you love to bits!

Have you had a wander round any dealers & checked out vans to get an idea just how small the space can be?

I really hope you get something sorted, Gummyb has offered & I've had a nosey (sorry) at least he is a dog lover even if he's not keen on the ones you have.... (not even going to attempt to spell it! :giggle:)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi
I work full time as a care provider for Manchester City Council and provide accommodation for vulnerable adults in my own home.
I'm very interested in my first motor home experience. Been on my bucket list forever.
As I can't drive, I'm looking for a companion to accompany me and my two small dogs (chihuahuas) whether you be male or female, for a mini break of your choice. I've only recently joined and I'm looking to meet another motor home enthusiast. I will incur all costs.
I'm looking to purchase a second hand motor home. Any helpful hints, tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated... I've wild camped on the beaches of Jura for a week and other Western Isles....as well as climbing helvellyn/striding edge, completing the three peaks in the Yorkshire Dales, and wild camping in the Carling Valley, Howell Fells, Sedbergh...plus much more...but enough to prove I'm no novice to roughing it! I'm looking for a foolhardy driving companion...is this too much to ask for?
After a disappointing and much misunderstood start to Motorhomefun.......I'm hoping to recalibrate... chow for now..... Marilyn
Your experience as a care provider could be an attraction to some older members. :winky:

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Well done for reaching out to ask. You can obviously meet up and get to know anyone way before committing to travel with them and Iā€™m sure you overcome many greater challenges in your daily life. Good luck and I hope you find a great travelling companion.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I say good luck with your quest - hope you can get some suitable arrangement in place and follow your dream. (y)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Best suggestion so far! (y)
Maybe, but general opinion so far seems to be people feel their motorhome is a personal space and to share it with a stranger and two dogs is a big ask.

MarilynMonroe I think some feedback from you would be useful.
Are you planning to learn to drive, I assume so hence the comments about buying a motorhome ?
I'm just struggling to understand your logic in this, you've done a lot of camping in the past, are you just looking for a little more home comforts ?
Would you be comfortable passing driving test and going straight to driving a large vehicle ?
I feel you maybe approaching this from the wrong direction and thinking you can just bunk up with a stranger is not going to be an easy route.
Anyway good luck and if you can give more info on your hopes and motives, you may receive further constructive help and advice.
We're generally a very lot on here and always willing to give assistance šŸ‘šŸ»

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back