Driveaway or side blockera (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
We are visiting down in Englandshire and so may take the opportunity to look at some blockers and driveaways if we are near a shop. Our new Campscout is being fitted with a Fiamma windout. Does anyone know the height to the awning in case we can find a good deal on a driveaway. I have been looking at the Vango Kela but it comes in 3 sizes.

There seem to be quite a few Kelas that get sold on ebay. I guess a lot of folk buy them and don't use them... or is it just that they are very popular so there are a lot around?

Thanks

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Probably as with any awning, lots are bought because they look useful, but in practice are found to take a lot of space and limit mobility and so are sold.
At least side and front windblockers are light and don't take a lot of space. We have a set but very rarely use them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperSue
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Probably as with any awning, lots are bought because they look useful, but in practice are found to take a lot of space and limit mobility and so are sold.
At least side and front windblockers are light and don't take a lot of space. We have a set but very rarely use them.

@Reallyretired It's been known to rain in the Highlands so we're thinking that an awning could provide someplace to towel off the dog(s) ... and husband...before they enter the van. I see your avatar is dogs. How do you manage?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The wind out awning keeps the rain off if needed. Dogs can be towelled off under that, sides would only be useful in horizontal rain, which happens sometimes but even then a roof provides shelter.
The other way is that we prefer Spain to Scotland, less rain and less of a language problem :D

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
I presume you're having an F65 fitted it will be around 2.55m high.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
We are visiting down in Englandshire and so may take the opportunity to look at some blockers and driveaways if we are near a shop. Our new Campscout is being fitted with a Fiamma windout. Does anyone know the height to the awning in case we can find a good deal on a driveaway. I have been looking at the Vango Kela but it comes in 3 sizes.

There seem to be quite a few Kelas that get sold on ebay. I guess a lot of folk buy them and don't use them... or is it just that they are very popular so there are a lot around?

Thanks
Bought a Kela Air XL for Moho, used once, blocked window so wife wasn't having any of that. We bought it for somewhere to dry off the dog when wet but it was too much of a pain to put up, especially as we mostly only go away for weekends. Sold it to a Funster last year. We now have a wind out awning on the new MoHo but have yet to use it. We have more space than your Moho so can dry off dog inside but will use the wind out if required. Just be mindfull of the amount of space required for a drive-away awning and, not very light either. Good luck with your chocie(y)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We like blockers, a lot more flexible. I would that as I make them. I do use them though, and love using them

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
I use the Thule side and 2.5mtr long front blockers on my F45,brilliant for keeping the wind off the barby and privacy.They are very light weight and easy to store.

Lost Sun

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Globecar Globescout
Just to add we used to have an awning and also a sun canopy. We kept a record of when we used them last year. 12 nights for the awning and 74 for the canopy. We got a new van last octOcto and had a fiamma fitted and bought windblockers from Lillypad leisure. Can't rate them more highly. We love them. Super quick to put up and take down. Very easy to store and extremely light.
View media item 22846

Last edited:

xgx

Free Member
Jul 7, 2016
North Cambs/South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
umptynine years
Check out Lillpad's 'sale' pages I picked up 2 front ones without the membrane for <£35 delivered. It's pot luck whether you find anything suitable but check ALL of their sale pages. Be sure about your measurements because they can't be returned.

I just have to do a wee bit of sewing on the one converted to side fitting ...added bonus is that the awning bead strip isn't needed so I can use it to make some storm straps :)

They use a 'clothes prop' to support the side fitting, I have an aluminium extending decorators pole that works.

As others have said, they're very light and easy to store when folded.

OP
OP
CamperSue
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Bought a Kela Air XL for Moho, used once, blocked window so wife wasn't having any of that. We bought it for somewhere to dry off the dog when wet but it was too much of a pain to put up, especially as we mostly only go away for weekends. Sold it to a Funster last year. We now have a wind out awning on the new MoHo but have yet to use it. We have more space than your Moho so can dry off dog inside but will use the wind out if required. Just be mindfull of the amount of space required for a drive-away awning and, not very light either. Good luck with your chocie(y)

Thanks for the advice. Lost out on the ebay auction so perhaps that was a good thing.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The main difference between my panels and the net ones is mine are waterproof and dont billow in when there is a gust of wind. The net ones let the rain through as fine mist so everything in the awning can get wet.
image319.gif

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back