Drive-rite Semi Air on a x250 std chassis. (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Having crashed and banged round the concrete sections of the M25, I will be getting semi air on the rear axle.

I am looking at the large air spring semi air kit from Drive-rite. I also want the Drive rite X250 digital gauge and compressor kit.

1. Air Suspension Kit Fiat Ducato X250 (large airspring version) : DR.02.012429
2. Metric Compressor & X250 Digital Gauge Kit : DR.11.016322

However, I can't get anyone to fit it! Everyone seems to fit a preferred brand, be it VB or Glide-rite, but I like the Drive-rite kit because it has a dashboard fitting and separate left and right inflators and gauges, so you can do it on the move, or when boarding ferries, etc.

Does anyone know of anyone who will fit this in the south east, if I buy it?

Thanks.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Semi-air on the Ducato chassis improves handling on twisty roads, and especially in cross-winds and when passing lorries. It provides some lift, but it depends on how 'saggy' your rear is at the moment. :giggle:

It does improve ride quality a bit, but only on the big hits and even then, only to the point that it's as bad as the front axle. How low are you riding at the moment? Are you always resting on the bump stops?

Technically it's not a hard fit. It took me a day and I didn't have a clue.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
I have 'VB' fitted with the same Dashboard installation as you require.
Don't buy semi - air for ride comfort, you will be disappointed. As has been said, 'handling' is the main benefit.

Robert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What tyres have you got?
We are on an Al-Ko we had full air fitted because of the hard ride & more recently got rid of the crappy Michielin CP tyres surprising what a difference that made.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Semi-air on the Ducato chassis improves handling on twisty roads, and especially in cross-winds and when passing lorries. It provides some lift, but it depends on how 'saggy' your rear is at the moment. :giggle:

It does improve ride quality a bit, but only on the big hits and even then, only to the point that it's as bad as the front axle. How low are you riding at the moment? Are you always resting on the bump stops?

Technically it's not a hard fit. It took me a day and I didn't have a clue.

Very saggy rear. So is the moho. ::bigsmile:
Not resting on the bumps, but they bang when we go over bad roads.

My technical ability is limited to putting up shelves :( . I want to pay someone to do it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Don't buy semi - air for ride comfort, you will be disappointed. As has been said, 'handling' is the main benefit.

Robert

What I am looking for is an improvement in handling and to stop the bump stops being abused.
Does VB come with digital gauges and separate inflations for left and right?

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
What tyres have you got?
We are on an Al-Ko we had full air fitted because of the hard ride & more recently got rid of the crappy Michielin CP tyres surprising what a difference that made.

We have Michelins, but looking at the Pirelli Carrier Camper next time. Gets better scores over Conti.

I just really want a fitter who will fit what I want, not what they want!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have Michelins, but looking at the Pirelli Carrier Camper next time. Gets better scores over Conti.

I just really want a fitter who will fit what I want, not what they want!
I fitted Toyo Observe Van a couple of other Funsters have fitted them as well all of us pleased with the ride comfort. I would never fit camping tyres through choice.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
Does VB come with digital gauges and separate inflations for left and right?

Yes, I have a left and right 'Rocker' switches to inflate and deflate with analogue dials mounted to the left of the steering wheel; LHD vehicle. Digital Dials were an option but they were square plastic and looked cheap.

Pump is under the driver's seat.

If you don't carry a Spare tyre/wheel on your van, one thing to consider is availability of your chosen tyre manufacturer should you need to match an existing 'CP' camper tyre whilst touring. Continental, or any other, 'CP' tyres are made in batches a couple of times a year depending on demand, my latest set of 'Conti CP' tyres took 4 weeks to arrive. Pirelli would be difficult to obtain off the shelf in this area.

Robert

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000

Robert
⬆️ This
It’s the Ducato shock absorbers that are truly awful.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Yes, I have a left and right 'Rocker' switches to inflate and deflate with analogue dials mounted to the left of the steering wheel; LHD vehicle. Digital Dials were an option but they were square plastic and looked cheap.

Pump is under the driver's seat.

If you don't carry a Spare tyre/wheel on your van, one thing to consider is availability of your chosen tyre manufacturer should you need to match an existing 'CP' camper tyre whilst touring. Continental, or any other, 'CP' tyres are made in batches a couple of times a year depending on demand, my latest set of 'Conti CP' tyres took 4 weeks to arrive. Pirelli would be difficult to obtain off the shelf in this area.

Robert
Very useful, thanks. Sounds ideal. I can completely live with analogue. Its a long shot, but do you have the VB part numbers?!! And did you get a garage to fit it? If so, which?

I do carry a spare wheel (rely on a tin of pressurized squirty glue? Not for me!) but I would definitely replace all four boots at the same time. Can't see a need for two years yet though.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
My system was installed in Germany, so of little help to you. I believe the full set incl guages,pump and replacement rear shocks etc., is the Premium Package try

Rosmia Units 2-4 - Crosspost Industrial Park - Cowfold Road - Bolney, RH17 5QU, WEST-SUSSEX, UNITED KINGDOM+44 (0) 1444 880022
info@rosmia.co.uk www.rosmia.co.uk

They are VB Partners and deal with M/homes.

Yes, the Ducato suspension is 'under strain' in a fully loaded m/home, it is possible to fit heavier duty coil springs and shocks, I looked at SOS Suspension units for up - front but that only makes the ride stiffer. The only other alternative is to follow Lenny HB and go Full Air suspension; guaranteed ride comfort but at a price!

Robert

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Thanks again. I looked at Rosmia for the VB comfort kit, but they wanted £300 more than another fitter that came equally recommended.

Have decided to go with the VB comfort system. Thanks everyone!!

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
If you end up with a nose down stance on the van don’t forget to get the headlights re set or they will be useless when required.

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
Thanks again. I looked at Rosmia for the VB comfort kit, but they wanted £300 more than another fitter that came equally recommended.

Have decided to go with the VB comfort system. Thanks everyone!!
I have been looking into getting semi air suspension on the back as well.

Local VB installer said that because I have composite leaf springs they would have to be replaced before fitting the VB System
This would be around £300 extra on top of fitting the air system.

After a bit of digging there appears to be a Drive Rite system that can be used with the composite leaf springs.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I prefer the Drive-rite system, but I can't find a fitter willing to fit it.

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
I prefer the Drive-rite system, but I can't find a fitter willing to fit it.
Do you have composite leaf springs?

It may be Rosmia were pricing to change them!

Have you tried Glide Rite as they fit Drive Rite systems
Mill Lane, Passfield, Liphook, Hampshire, GU30 7RP

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
metal ones are usually black, Mine are a cream colour,