Drive quality of newer A class vans (1 Viewer)

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
I’ve read a few threads re how driving Pilotes can be a bit scary as the back end wobbles and the long overhang on 7.5 m MHs.
Has this been improved on the newer models? (2018 onwards) TIA

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think that the "wobbling" you mention is caused by the difference in the track of the Fiat camper chassis - the rear is wider than the front. This becomes noticeable when you encounter ruts caused by heavy vehicles in a well-used road, the front and rear wheels both try to pull into the rut but as they are not in line they cause the vehicle to "wobble". Doesn't have to be a deep rut either, and a long overhang would make it worse. Obviously it shouldn't happen on other "straight" chassis that don't have the wider track at the rear.

I don't think there is a cure for this although I, and many others, have fitted air-assist to the rear springs and it has transformed the handling. It's a relatively easy fit, no major dismantling and could be achieved by a competent DIYer in a couple of hours, although I got Dave Newell to fit ours whilst he was doing other improvements.

OP
OP
Haitchjay

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
TerryL so on a G740 Fiat chassis we’d be likely to get that? Also, hubby is an incompetent DIYer (he’d 100% agree) so the air assist would possibly need adding. Is it an expensive job to get done? TIA

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As the Pilote website says your van has a "wide CCS" chassis I'd guess that, yes, you may well get that effect. I counteract it by moving slightly left or right of the worn part to get the wheels on lesser used surfaces. Incidentally I've heard incorrect tyre pressures can exacerbate the problem. Check you're running at the correct inflation - plenty of advice elsewhere how to find out the numbers.

As for cost I believe mine (a few years ago) was around £350 but there are a number of different manufacturers - search on here or elsewhere for rear air-assist suspension kit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back