Drive per mile charge. (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
So the current Government, whoever they might be at that time, introduce a 75p per mile charge for driving.

The Opposition vow to repeal it if they are elected.

Who will win the election? :unsure:
"Never underestimate the stupidity of the Electorate" as we have recently seen, Turkeys have voted for Christmas.

However in the case above, the Opposition vow to repeal the £/per mile charge will only be a vote winner if their alternative revenue raising scheme is less costly to the majority of the general public.

In reality the only debate in Parliament will be a constant tinkering with the rate per mile of a specific type of vehicle on a particular route at a given time of day.

For example should Nurses on the late shift get a reduction in the rate as no public transport available when they go home. The problem being the start of the shift was at the height of rush hour, so double the normal rate.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If your Driving an EV your not paying for Petrol or Diesel, so no Fuel Tax the Government will want to charge you per mile, and in the dystopian world these new cars will be trackable so not just how far you have drivel but your location at any time. You may just want to hang on to that ICE vehicle for as long as you can.
And leave your mobile phone at home? Charge per mile could be as simple as using ANPR.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
And leave your mobile phone at home? Charge per mile could be as simple as using ANPR.
This is not about Mobile Phones, new EV's and some other vehicles are already tracked by the factory so a mix of technology such as you are suggesting like ANPR, the government could insist on obtain the data the manufactures can obtain and use it as a per mile charge. Its a Dystopian future ;)

Location Privacy - Can I hide my location?

ItsEmily

Banned
Jan 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
A class
"Never underestimate the stupidity of the Electorate" as we have recently seen, Turkeys have voted for Christmas.

Can't help yourself can you, with your clingy little avatar. Looking for any opportunity to stamp your feet. Move on from 2016, change your sorry little avatar and cheeer up. Where are those brains, theye are not under your hat. Are you sat on them?

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I think that once we all drive ev’s They will apply a tax, maybe via your electricity bill. We have to pay for what we use. They, the government, will find the most cost effective method to pay for road repairs.

Was the road fund tax not introduced to pay for road upkeep?
Then they dipped into the pot to pay the police etc?

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I think that once we all drive ev’s They will apply a tax, maybe via your electricity bill. We have to pay for what we use. They, the government, will find the most cost effective method to pay for road repairs.

Was the road fund tax not introduced to pay for road upkeep?
Then they dipped into the pot to pay the police etc?
A bit before my time ........
Road Tax was dropped in 1937

Hence; Pedestrians, cattle, horses, horse drawn vehicles and cyclists have a free RIGHT to be on the road.

Whereas; Powered vehicles require an annual licence to be on the road and the drivers of said vehicles also require a licence both of which you pay the Government for the privilege.
The money raised goes into general taxation and has no connection to roads or other transportation.

(Which is why we always laugh at drivers who complain about cyclists not paying 'road tax' or suggest number plates )

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
The entire country would be bankrupt within a year, absolute lunacy probably leading to anarchy

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
A bit before my time ........
Road Tax was dropped in 1937

Hence; Pedestrians, cattle, horses, horse drawn vehicles and cyclists have a free RIGHT to be on the road.

Whereas; Powered vehicles require an annual licence to be on the road and the drivers of said vehicles also require a licence both of which you pay the Government for the privilege.
The money raised goes into general taxation and has no connection to roads or other transportation.

(Which is why we always laugh at drivers who complain about cyclists not paying 'road tax' or suggest number plates )
DVLA call it road tax

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
As I mentioned on a previous thread, it would make sense to get rid of VED and replace it with an annual vehicle registration fee, say £50-£100 per vehicle, then add a bit to fuel duty. This way all vehicles (even EV's) have a charge for using the roads, but ICE's have an additonal charge on usage through the excise duty on fuel. Seems the fairest system to me anyway.

This way you are not "taxing EV's" but do get some contribution towards maintaining roads.

With foreign vehicles, need to pay a fee on first entry, then annual after that if still in the UK and not registered.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
As I mentioned on a previous thread, it would make sense to get rid of VED and replace it with an annual vehicle registration fee, say £50-£100 per vehicle, then add a bit to fuel duty. This way all vehicles (even EV's) have a charge for using the roads, but ICE's have an additonal charge on usage through the excise duty on fuel. Seems the fairest system to me anyway.

This way you are not "taxing EV's" but do get some contribution towards maintaining roads.

With foreign vehicles, need to pay a fee on first entry, then annual after that if still in the UK and not registered.
Foreign vehicles (trucks) should pay excise duty on the Diesel in their tanks on arrival

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

However in the case above, the Opposition vow to repeal the £/per mile charge will only be a vote winner if their alternative revenue raising scheme is less costly to the majority of the general public.
If the Jeremy Corbyn election campaign had promised just a little less they might have been believed and voted in. Students certainly believed the promises he made them without considering where the money would be found.

Overpromising i.e. “the magic money tree “ was probably the downfall.

I am not knocking the Labour Party particularly as all British political parties are renowned for broken Manifesto promises.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If the Jeremy Corbyn election campaign had promised just a little less they might have been believed and voted in. Students certainly believed the promises he made them without considering where the money would be found.

Overpromising i.e. “the magic money tree “ was probably the downfall.

I am not knocking the Labour Party particularly as all British political parties are renowned for broken Manifesto promises.
The “Magic money tree” I think has turned into a bloody orchard of them in the last year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back