Drive away v fiamma/omnister? (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Awnings

Hi Pamella,

Can't say which is the easiest, but I can share our experience. When we bought our first van we spent £500 on a Ventura drive away awning. Once up it was great as we could store most of our outside gear it and even sit in it with the sides up. But it was heavyweight (poles and canvas), took up a lot of room in the van's garage, and when wet, had to be packed wet and dried out later. We rarely used it and when we traded the van for another, let it go as part of the deal. Second van had no awning but we didn't miss one, but our third and current van had a big wind out Omnistor awning. This, in my view, is the best solution of all. We don't have the side panels and don't feel we need them, but lots of people do and they then have the full option of an enclosed space. But of course it would have to be dismantled to drive away, whereas without side panels you only need to wind it back in. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
P

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
Hi Pamella,

Can't say which is the easiest, but I can share our experience. When we bought our first van we spent £500 on a Ventura drive away awning. Once up it was great as we could store most of our outside gear it and even sit in it with the sides up. But it was heavyweight (poles and canvas), took up a lot of room in the van's garage, and when wet, had to be packed wet and dried out later. We rarely used it and when we traded the van for another, let it go as part of the deal. Second van had no awning but we didn't miss one, but our third and current van had a big wind out Omnistor awning. This, in my view, is the best solution of all. We don't have the side panels and don't feel we need them, but lots of people do and they then have the full option of an enclosed space. But of course it would have to be dismantled to drive away, whereas without side panels you only need to wind it back in. ::bigsmile:
How do you go on if you want to leave the site?do you have a toad?

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Awnings

How do you go on if you want to leave the site?do you have a toad?

Hi Pamella,

I don't have a toad, or a frog. The wife has called me much worse than that though, and I think when we first kissed (many moons ago) she was hoping I might turn into a prince.......just shows how wrong you can be!

I've clearly misunderstood what you were asking I guess!::bigsmile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Which is the easiest drive away awning to erect guys?

Take your pick >> http://www.johnscross.co.uk/motorhome-driveaway-awnings-freestanding-awnings.html

Cheap, Outhouse XL Handi

Easiest ones are the ones you use throw over straps, depending on height of van Outdoor Revolution Cayman XL

There are blow up airbeams, expensiveOutdoor Revolution Oxygen Movelite 3XL

Vango Kela Airaway

Click on links/titles to see descriptions etc, you can always give us a ring and pick brains and save a few pounds:thumb:

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We have a large drive-away awning which we use if we planning on entertaining a lot of people/musicians :Smile:

If we're just away on our own, we use the wind-out with some of these panels as wind/sun/nosey people blockers:

http://www.mysunshade.co.uk/

Minimal storage, easy to put up/take down and quite effective.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
from many many years of experience we have found the easiest and quickest driveaway to be the khyam motordome excelsior. ours takes only a coule of minutes to errect as the poles remain attached and are hinged. just take it out of the bag. lift the middle of the frame up and then clip the sliding locks into place. that takes seconds. putting in the pegs takes longer

attaching and detaching from the van takes under 60 seconds using the kador strip and figure of 8 stips

has stood up to some severe weather and we remain delighted with it, having tried virtually all the other options over 40 years. other than the new air beam awnings but they dont appeal due to not being good in the wind

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3j2nyS-hvg"]Khyam Motordome - Quick Erect Driveaway Awning - Erected in 22 Seconds - YouTube[/ame]

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have a drive away awning (movelite xlf).. Wasted our money in my opinion. It's a little awkward to put up.. even though there is no doubt it gives you masses of room. If you do intend to drive away them you have to re-arrange a load of stuff. We found it a pain. We now tow a car and never use the awning. We do have side panels for the fiamma wind out.. but rarely use them. We also have a small suncamp porch awning (about £100... Not driveaway) that we use for the dog when it's wet.. We did consider an inflatable but due to the issues with stability decided it wasn't worth it.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had lots of different drive-away awnings over the years (don't ask!), mostly from Outdoor Revolution (Movelite VRX, Square, XL, Midi) but have also 'experienced' others such as those by DWT (mainly for VW V4/V5), Easycamp Daytona, Riviera Mobil 240, and a few other makes, we've also had some of the 'utility tent' type too but they are really too small to use as a 'sit out' awning, really they're just big enough for storage. Of them all, we found the easiest to put up was the Riviera Mobil. We have never ever had to pay full price for them, we've either bought them second hand or got them at a good discount.

We also recently had a Vango Kela Airaway standard and whilst it was very easy to inflate etc, we decided it wasn't for us so sold it (fortunately I hadn't paid 'full price' for it so didn't lose out! :thumb: ) so instead now have a Sunncamp Companion 300 which we picked up for a brilliant price at Peterborough Show.

To attach to our camper we use a 'Kador' kit (figure of 8 plastic strips and tape with beading on either edge - 4mm one one side and 6mm on the other), the 4mm beading allows us to attach the awning to our Fiamma wind-out awning which also means that if we want to move the van it is just a case of taking out a couple of pegs, pulling out the plastic strips and then the beading strip from the Fiamma and off we go (I always mark out EXACTLY where the wheels are sitting to we can get the camper back in the right spot to make reattachment easy peasy).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back