Drive-away Awnings - Connection To Van? And An Outwell Review Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Here at Chez Pat we have had the debate about drive away vs integrated with the wind out Orminstor, well I say "had" it is still ongoing.

Of the drive-away quite like the idea of air beams and searching through the forum I note that some of the cheaper models don't like prolonged exposure to UV, this has led me to Outwell, have previously had a tent from them used as a base camp and very impressed by the quality - anyone any views?

Regardless of make, to connect awning to van there appears to be two options, throw a flap of fabric over van roof and secure / tie down, or a grooved channel stuck / screwed to van. Now presumably if I affix said channel to van I then connect with bead before I put the awning up - how then do I drive away? Is there a separate zip panel and you just unzip, pull away and remove small panel of fabric from van? Am I overthinking this!?

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We have just returned from a week on the West Coast of Scotland (very wet and windy...) and used our drive away awning in anger for the first time.

It is a Vango Airaway Kela (Tall). Can't answer the issue of UV degradation as not used it enough, however, we were mightily impressed with it. We left it standing on its own in 20mph+ winds right on the coast and it was still there and upright when we returned..

We use the slot on our Fiamma wind out awning to connect the collar of the awning to the van. Very easy to slide in and out - only recommendation would be to get Fiamma pawls to stop the connector piece slide out of the slot (little bullet type things that have a little screw to secure in place.)

Very pleased with it.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Having used a fixed and a drive away awning i find it a lot simpler to use a free standing store / tent or just not to connect the awning to the van
We found that in high winds the connected awning puled the van about and and the connecting bit flapped about and made sleeping uncomfortable and when, having driven away, coming back to it and trying to get the van in the right place to connect it back up again was just too much hassle, so now we just set up the drive away seperatly
It may be just as well to get a cheaper tent of the size you need

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
I've been wondering this very same thing, ever since one of the folding arms of our wind-out awning broke and I found out how much a replacement would cost. All we need is a 'porch' really; just a small but tall tent with two doors so we can go inside and take our muddy boots off, and wash the dogs' muddy paws before going inside the mh.

In case you're wondering I haven't yet found one, nor have I an answer to your question. I'm just here to lend support and watch out for useful replies. :winky:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We have a large Outwell awning which we use if we're staying put for several days at rallies etc. The quality is very good. It's useful for keeping cooking smells out of the van plus a great meeting place if the weather's poor.

It connects to the edge of the wind-out awning using a figure of eight plastic strip which is easily removed to drive away.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We've had 'em all :LOL: Sold our driveaway to Chrisboyo who has just posted his experiences (y)
Had a cheap carbon poled porch awning-left that in a skip at Marjal after a windy 3 mths :LOL:
Now have a Kampa Rally Air-it attaches to a rail that I have put just below our Fiamma windout awning. That way it's closer to the van,so fewer draughts and flapping noises.
However we really don't bother with an awning for less than a weeks stay.
We would put the Fiamma out and maybe attach our Windblocker sides,or maybe just one side.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
We've got the Outwell Country Road found it to be great quality
& a really handy bit of kit.

When it rained we could easily put stuff undercover (y)

Don't think we will ever bother attaching it to the wind out Fiamma
far too practical as a stand alone.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I'm a fan of the stand alone day shelters. I have a Quest 'spring up' shelter which I can manage on my own. I recently used it at a rather windy Keswick C & CC site and it did fine. Only has door on one side so not what you are after but I do think that day shelters are the easiest option.

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
I`ve got a Movelite Outdoor Revolution xl drive-away awning that I used in France last year for the first time. It suited me just fine for dumping the boys wet kit in when they came out of the pool and for eating in, keeping the chairs and table in too. Bit of a sod to get right when attaching to the van on your own (they went straight in the pool) and I used the figure of 8 to attach to the Fiamma wind out van awning.
It was really handy and fitted in the bathroom/shower area in transit. Guy next pitch had a Vango airbeam for his PVC and it took less time to pump up but they seemed to struggle with putting it away when they left. As for tightening up the `tunnel` to the door it was trial and error for me but I got there in the end. Left on site/pitch during the day I just left 4 pegs to line up on when I returned to get the right distance to connect up. You can buy marker strips but driveaways cost enough anyway - make/made my own since. If you can pack a tent you can use these easily (info on you tube), - even on your own whilst the kids enjoy THEIR holiday ! haha

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I found the collar that fits to the Fiamma awning brilliant for BBQ's when it is persisting it down..

We have now sussed out how to pack it away - don't try to put the pump, pegs, Mallett etc in the main bag.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back