Drive away awning (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
Can anyone help me re; drive away awning which ones seem to be the most popular and what do I need to know when it comes to sizing
thanks

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Air awning or poles? We have had both but prefer poles.

Does the roof come out from the van level enough for the hab door to open enough? Too steep a roof will stop door opening.

Height? Needs to suit your van. Low or High?

We have an Outdoor Revolution Movelite that we bought 2nd hand a few years ago and is nor really on it's last legs but I would buy another.

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
David and Sally cover the most important parts. For me weight is an issue so need to some research. The heaviest are probably the inflatables followed by steel poles with fibreglass poles the lightest. How and when will you use it? I found the inflatable best in high winds, only problem with steel frame is if bent by high wind it stays bent. At least the inflatable and fibreglass poles bend to a degree although well worth having s spare fibreglass pole. Inflatable the easiest to erect. Is it going to be slept in, handy to have seperate hanging bedroom. I do not like sewn in ground sheets as they are hard to dry and kill the grass if up for more than a week. Some sites only allow breathable groundsheets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
As above really. Just bought an awning off an auction site and did a LOT of research beforehand. Also met a really nice couple at the recent New Forest show who gave advice on why they choose theirs; we liked the look and it was attached to a similar Motorhome so we went down that route.

I looked at a lot of the Attwoolls videos and manufacturer websites for further details and there is plenty of help if you have a Broken Link Removed.

Bear in mind we did not want drive-away (principles broadly the same I guess), after all the research and thinking, key for us was:
  • It had to be Air, easy to put up, and importantly, takedown
  • It had to fit where it was not obstructing windows/doors/lockers
  • Not too big, we only wanted somewhere to sit if necessary and dump gear and bikes
    • No point in going up a size just in case as this only adds weight and effort to put up/takedown
  • It would actually fit in the Moho when packed away
  • We would be happy with 2nd hand if necessary
As for size:
  • Important to understand your needs and determine the area you can live with
  • There are set height ranges for attachment, so it's important to measure from the ground to your final attachment point (on the van or rollout awning)
    • Find the height size that your height sits in as you will need to adjust for extra height if leveling
  • Width and depth is up to you and determined by the point above about the area
As to what is popular/best/worst... Everyone will have their own opinions, my final options were to go with the Thule QuickFit system as it seemed to be a perfect match for my Thule Awning (obvs) and easy to set up and takedown or, go for a well-reviewed known brand that met our requirements that would also attach to the awning.

The result was we got an unused 2nd hand Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro 260XL.
  • 260 = 2.6m wide
    • The Rally range is 2.5 deep for all widths I think
  • XL = 265 to 280 attachment height
    • We are just over 265 without leveling ramps
  • The extra appeal is that Kampa (now Dometic and with considerable price increase too) do a range of accessories in case I can't be cured of upgradeitis
Having looked at new and alternative models, I actually think I got a good deal as of course price (value for money) is also a key factor.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
we hava a vango airway Idris 11 [the tall one they make a shorter one] It is excellent- easy to put up/deflate- packs in a biggish bag and can go anywhere l or r on the wind out awning. Easy to remove the van from it and a good foot of leeway to get the van back to it . We have not used it often but it is a great sunshade in the sun [first time] and wind/waterproof [second time- with grandkids in the inner bedroom bit.
IMO the height is the important bit ; it could be half the lenght of the van or almost the whole length. it could be a bit longer than the wind out awning but yes as David and Sally said you need to make sure that the door opens. If you are on uneven ground dont use chocks on the awning side as this may make the van too high to open the door .

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
... If you are on uneven ground dont use chocks on the awning side as this may make the van too high to open the door .
That's a really good point and another score for the Kampa as it has a dual-slopping roof arrangement with the bit by the door being flatter and higher (in theory).

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We do. When on site for 3 days or more we like the extra space and weather protection.
...which is why we use this - but it’s not a drive away, so wouldn’t really be suitable for the OP....
60254BB1-8F24-45A1-AE25-40F70FE8FC7F.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
We have a Quest screen house 4'x4' just the right size for bikes & table and chairs
and you can just drive away + easy to erect.

Attachments

• All Photos - 623 of 646.jpg
    All Photos - 623 of 646.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Can't be arsed with them personally.
We use a event shelter from decathlon.had it about six year.still.looks like new.
Throw all the tables and chairs bikes and BBQ In and zip it up .
Paid £100 for it.and takes 15mins to erect.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
We have a smaller taller version of this airbeam awnining (having moved from a campervan to a tall motorhome.
love the extra space an awning gives
we rarely used the Fiama on a small van use it occasionaly now. Glad we didnt get a privacy room.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2019
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
One a newbie
We bought a Movelite drive away air awning to suit our T5 . Mainly for using at sites if we are there for 3-5 days for the gear and dog if weather bad.
I personally hate drive away awnings to much faff much prefer to wind out awning and wind break as we go out most days and for our T5 takes a lot of space up when packed .

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back