Drive away awning???? (3 Viewers)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Thinking of getting a drive away awning for those rare ocasions when familly come with us & don't want to sleep in the van, also would be good to store items if we go out for the day, although I have to say it would probably not be put up regually!!!!!
Has anyone any recomendations? We have a Hymer 1996 model and don't want to spend a fortune as I said it probably wont get much use.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Ah, but wouldn't you get charged an extra pitch fee for the tent?

I'm thinking of going down the same route with an awning, Jaygee, and am going to have a look at the Malvern Show in August.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I too have a Movelite which I have used a couple of times. A pain in the proverbial but does keep your pitch when you go off in the van for the day. Also enables cooking outside (we have a small van) when the weather is poor. The biggest problem is securing the "tunnel" during squally weather.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The biggest problem is securing the "tunnel" during squally weather.

We also have the Movelite XL ..great in winter to store wet gear and to keep icy blasts at bay when the hab door is opened..

For a snug fit and to keep it tight it needs an awning rail on the van which is easy to do, or attached to the Fiamma pull out awning, I believe there is a figure 8 sliding plastic rail for that purpose.

It is well made and after a bit of practice is easy to errect..

Here is ours during winter ..

Link Removed

Upvote 0

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
drive away awning

i have a riversway mobile 300 drive away awning bought from (riverswayleisure.co.uk)
it's an exellent awning and we have used it loads of times.
it's made for riversway by royal.
you can buy drive away awning kits to fit for £12:99.
the awnings cost £146:99 but we bought ours in a sale for £99:99.

if the site your on charges for awnings then you pay if not you don't
good luck

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We also have the movelite and we have left it standing on site sometimes if abroad and the pitch is big enough we erect it a few feet from the MH and just roll the tunnel section away. This way we can still use it for table and chairs and easy to leave. We used it this weekend in Perth and came in really handy as it was a nice day but cold breeze so ideal for sitting in eating the bbq.

Also very handy if you want to just sit and read while rest are in MH.

Gerry

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
seen a movelite xl for sale in classifieds in mays MMM magazine bout £50 if i remember correctly.

Upvote 0

sundancekid

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
shropshire
Funster No
Exp
Just
Hi All

To those who have a Movelight, do you need adrive away kit, or does it just hook into an awning rail on the M/H?

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Sundance

No you dont need a drive away kit it comes with guy ropes you throw over the roof of the motorhome and peg in when driving away just slack them off and pull over roof.

You can buy an awning rail that the tunnel part will slide on to if you dont want to use the guy ropes we dont have this.

Gerry

Upvote 0

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
I use the Driveaway awing adaptor
I don't like the idea of straps flapping and chafing my van

The kit slots into the front rail of your wind out awning,
I find it easier to roll the awning out part way so that it is lower, then connect the tunnel and wind it back in:thumb:

Alan H

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have a Movelite 300-got it for half price on here a week before Caramarthen -used it there and it was great for blocking late afternoon cold wind ::bigsmile: Taking it to France,and if we don't use it will offer it at 'Bring and Buy' But,I think we'll be using it a lot.

Mike.

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
If your van has a fiamma or omnistor you buy the kit to fit the front channel, if you have no pullout awning you can buy a strip of awning rail, simple to put on your van and then get the attachment kit to fit it, you then also have the choice of using it attached to your van or as a freestanding unit,We attach to our van but have it so that the sides are tied back creating a walk in area with the top covered this gives our dog the option of going in the awning or being able to sit outside without having the awning access and side door open for it. Ours is the riverside 300

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I've used mine a few times but actually never attach it to the van..... I pull the van wind out awning out over the top of it....

In that event I suspect it becomes a tent and I have never yet been questioned or charged extra, so I think if you put a tent close enough to the van and wind your over awning out you can get away with a tent.

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We have 2, the larger one was used when we had a scooter, it fitted inside the awning.

The other is a smaller Mmovelite that I attach to the roll out as mentioned before. It can be left free-standing next to the MH with the tunnel tied back. 2 photos attached show both methods.

We hope to be at the Bring & Buy & will be offering them for sale. We haven't decided yet but the large one will definitely be going as we don't have a scooter now.

Attachments

• DSCI0495.jpg
    DSCI0495.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 30 Dec.jpg
    30 Dec.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Awning.jpg
    Awning.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We have a Movelite XL only used it a couple of times but it’s ok however it will be up for sale soon as I can never be bothered to put it up lol

Paul and Lynne

Upvote 0

royalequeen

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Cass
Exp
Awning For Hymer

Thinking of getting a drive away awning for those rare ocasions when familly come with us & don't want to sleep in the van, also would be good to store items if we go out for the day, although I have to say it would probably not be put up regually!!!!!
Has anyone any recomendations? We have a Hymer 1996 model and don't want to spend a fortune as I said it probably wont get much use.

I have just sold my Hymer, but still have the drivaway awning we used. It is a Harrison High top Deluxe with 1 Tall Annex and 1 regular. We found this was a godsend as you have the main area and two extra areas for storage or sleeping and this model stands in all weathers. I will be selling it for £350 if you are interested. It has only been used for 2 seasons and is in pristeen condition.Colur Burgandy and Sand.Really suits the Hymer.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I have just sold my Hymer, but still have the drivaway awning we used. It is a Harrison High top Deluxe with 1 Tall Annex and 1 regular. We found this was a godsend as you have the main area and two extra areas for storage or sleeping and this model stands in all weathers. I will be selling it for £350 if you are interested. It has only been used for 2 seasons and is in pristeen condition.Colur Burgandy and Sand.Really suits the Hymer.

Hi,

Do you have a photo of your Harrison awning, might be just waht we are looking for.

Upvote 0

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
I have a Raleigh Motoville stand alone or a fixed awning, which will fit to a sliding side door, it is, approx 6x8 ft ( cotton ) good condition. and will be selling for around a £100,

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I've used mine a few times but actually never attach it to the van..... I pull the van wind out awning out over the top of it....

In that event I suspect it becomes a tent and I have never yet been questioned or charged extra, so I think if you put a tent close enough to the van and wind your over awning out you can get away with a tent.

That is a very good suggestion.

Thanks.:thumb:

Upvote 0

royalequeen

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Cass
Exp
Probably once :Smile:

I don't recall ever seeing one standing alone.

A much simpler option would be a tent. Probably more saleable once you say "never again".

The Harrison High Top Deluxe is a stand alone.It is one of the best,mine has put all others to shame in all weathers.Also you have many choices with the way you attatch it or not. You can even use it as a seporate living area as the rear zips up completely if you wish.:thumb:

I now have a new motorhome with the "Fiama Zip" = Safari room.
So have placed it on the classifieds

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The Harrison High Top Deluxe is a stand alone.It is one of the best,mine has put all others to shame in all weathers.

Yes, my remark was as a result of seeing papajohn erecting his awing. It wasn't a pretty sight and the comments cannot be put in writing. He threatened to cut the 2874 guy ropes and leave it where it fell.

However being a Yorkshire man he stayed an extra three days and unknitted it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back