Drive Away Awning Help please (1 Viewer)

Wendy 62

Free Member
May 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
None !
Hi
Been caravanning forever and have just put a deposit down for Escape 664 - excited already ! But please can someone advise on awnings - we are thinking of getting a canopy attached and then understand the awning attaches to this - but they all seem really wide and could potentially fit against one of the windows - I always thought this was a big no no any help / advice / suggestions please ??

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
I thought this was going to be a lost/found post !

Welcome to the site. I'm sure someone who knows about these will come along soon and answer your question

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but they all seem really wide and could potentially fit against one of the windows

Correct but the back is open until you drive away when you close it.

I guess when you say "canopy" you really mean "awning" or "wind out awning".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
I would suggest you hold a bit on an awning, motorhoming, we found was quite different, especially when we turned the front seats round. We found that dependant upon where we were we often changed where we sat. We have just purchased a small Elite drive away awning, it covered the door and rear of the van, this covers the rear window, but leaves the front windows reasonably clear.

Also it took us three vans before we found out what worked for us.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Yes, I would wait until you've had & used the van a few times.
An awning is not always an essential and you may find a lot of the times you don't use it, or the area is not suitable to use it.
Wait and see, that's my advice, a motorhome is a totally different beast to a caravan!

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Hi
Been caravanning forever and have just put a deposit down for Escape 664 - excited already ! But please can someone advise on awnings - we are thinking of getting a canopy attached and then understand the awning attaches to this - but they all seem really wide and could potentially fit against one of the windows - I always thought this was a big no no any help / advice / suggestions please ??
It's not the only way to attach a drive away.

Both my current Kampa and my previous Ventura have a tunnel section, the roof of which connects to the facia of the canopy, but similarly, they have guy ropes that can be passed over the roof of the van and pegged out on the opposite side. I connect mine to the canopy, but only because all of my vans so far came with the canopies fitted.

If you will use your canopy anyway, that's fine, but if you're buying one just to connect a drive away to, it's an expensive way to go.

You can check the sizes of awnings on line and measure the available space on the side of your van. You should be able to find one that doesn't sit across a window if that's what you want.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back